Fresh Start for 2012-13 Season | Syracusefan.com

Fresh Start for 2012-13 Season

doitallpaul

Walk On
I know many of you were very excited about this past season, but the 2012-13 season is the most excited I have been in a long, long time. Not only is our starting lineup completely changing...I considered Waiters the starter the second half of the season, but this season we will escape from all of the media headlines and spotlight. A few games into the season we had a media mess, after first semester we had a mess, BET we had a problem, the NCAA tourney there was a problem.

Here is to new faces, a new starting lineup, a new hometown hero, a clean state of the program, and hopefully a new favorite hair style up in the 13210.

PS- I am going with the line up of: MCW, Triche, Fair, Coleman, Christmas

Bench - Southerland, Cooney, Grant, Keita if Noel comes, then I would hope Keita redshirts unless his hands and his strength get better and Mookie.

PPS - I would to see Southerland get some minutes at the 2. Zone could be MCW, Southerland, Christmas, Coleman, maybe Fair or Noel.

I guess im in the minority that would rather have Southerland start at the 3. Since Cooney is already our shooter off the bench, to me it makes more sense to start a shooter in Southerland. Fair can come in at the 3/4 position, Cooney as a guard and if Noel comes DC2 or Rak comes off the bench downlow.

No Noel - 1. MCW, 2. Triche, 3. CJ but he needs to improve his shot, 4. Rak needs to make that Soph jump and be ready for minutes at 4 and 5, 5. DC2 is he ready fot big minutes though? Bench. JS- plays a lot at 3 and 4. When plays 4 Rak slides to 5. Cooney Lot of minutes and takes a lot of big shots, when in for MCW Triche takes the point. Keita and Grant get some regular playing time. Mookie mop up and emergency guard duty.

With Noel- 1. MCW, 2. Triche, 3. CJ and JS split this more with less 4 minutes open based on matchups and who's playing well, 4. Noel I think that All Star game showed he can and should play the 4 and get weak side blocks. He'll be a 4 in the NBA, it'd be good to start now. 5. Rak I expect a good jump to year two and his experience gives him starting nod. He'll still play C and PF when Noel comes out. Bench, DC2 still has lots of minutes available if he earns them. Whenever Rak or Noel are out he's in at C which could easily be something like Noel 30 min, Rak 25 min, DC2 25 min. JS spliting with CJ as mentioned. Cooney aand Mookie has same role with or without Noel Keita and Grant, one or both red shirt to develope and not waste a year with so much depth.

I guess im in the minority that would rather have Southerland start at the 3. Since Cooney is already our shooter off the bench, to me it makes more sense to start a shooter in Southerland. Fair can come in at the 3/4 position, Cooney as a guard and if Noel comes DC2 or Rak comes off the bench downlow.

The JS/CJ battle will be interesting to watch and I a sure one that the coaches will give a lot of thought to. There are pro's and con's to both.

Im interested to see how CJ progresses. His jump shot outside of ten feet improved this season and that was a good sign. What worries me is, as he becomes more of a focal point of the offense and JB isolates him will teams take away his left hand and make him go right? We saw a little of it in the tourney.

Im interested to see how CJ progresses. His jump shot outside of ten feet improved this season and that was a good sign. What worries me is, as he becomes more of a focal point of the offense and JB isolates him will teams take away his left hand and make him go right? We saw a little of it in the tourney.
And he looked like a baby deer falling all over himself.

The JS/CJ battle will be interesting to watch and I a sure one that the coaches will give a lot of thought to. There are pro's and con's to both.

I think James has more upside as a starter, but unless he gains a ton of consistency it's CJ's spot to lose. I really loved the improvements James made this year, though. Even when his shot wasn't falling, he was a noticeably better rebounder, a solid defender, and even made some things happen inside the arc and around the rim in the half court.

Was there ever any talk about James redshirting in 09-10? I know he spent a year at prep school but I would love it if he had two more years of eligibility.

I completely agree with this but doubt it happens

the one downside to getting Noel is the rotation becomes a lot more difficult to manage, and then you could get into playing time issues and who starts issues

Was there ever any talk about James redshirting in 09-10? I know he spent a year at prep school but I would love it if he had two more years of eligibility.
not necessary at all, James improved this year but with the talent coming in no need to clog the system up

Can someone just download a picture of Kate Upton on Keita's desktop and lock him in his room until October?

quagmire-strong-arm.jpg

There is lots of discussion on several threads about Keita redshirting and Christmas playing center. Mostly due to the speculation of Noel coming to SU I guess. Like everyone I hope NN chooses us but, regardless, I just don't see Keita redshirting. At the moment he IS our best center on the team. Noel would be more likely to play the 4 so that doesn't really affect Keita at all. And, just because JB and Cooney agreed on a redshirt last year I wouldn't expect it to be a trend. IF anyone redshirts (without injury) it’s far more likely to be Grant. Also, Christmas will continue to develop at the 4 spot. He was an emergency center this past year and that’s a nice luxury to have but he won't be splitting time in the middle with DC and Keita just for the sake of soaking up some minutes. Anyone out there agree that Keita redshirting and Christmas playing center just doesn’t make much sense?

but this season we will escape from all of the media headlines and spotlight.

Man I am with you on this one...other than recruiting, here is to a quiet offseason with no issues. 2011-2012 has been a reality check and hopefully the program will get back to focusing on academics, staying clean, and and all the other basics.

I guess there is still going to be some noise with the investigation and the lawsuit, hopefully no fireworks there.

There is lots of discussion on several threads about Keita redshirting and Christmas playing center. Mostly due to the speculation of Noel coming to SU I guess. Like everyone I hope NN chooses us but, regardless, I just don't see Keita redshirting. At the moment he IS our best center on the team. Noel would be more likely to play the 4 so that doesn't really affect Keita at all. And, just because JB and Cooney agreed on a redshirt last year I wouldn't expect it to be a trend. IF anyone redshirts (without injury) it’s far more likely to be Grant. Also, Christmas will continue to develop at the 4 spot. He was an emergency center this past year and that’s a nice luxury to have but he won't be splitting time in the middle with DC and Keita just for the sake of soaking up some minutes. Anyone out there agree that Keita redshirting and Christmas playing center just doesn’t make much sense?
I disagree. I think a big advantage of NN coming here would be if BMK would agree to the RS. NN, DC2, and Rak would be a lot of minutes at the 4 and 5. You are wasting BMK in that situation as the 3rd or 4th center. Those 3 (NN, Rak, and DC2) all look best suited right now as 5s.
We talk about them at the 4 only because we have so much at the 5. We need to convert one of the McD 5s, to a 4 for playing time. That means the 5 spot has a ton of quality coverage next year. BMK is a luxury next year.

No way would Grant RS. It takes a special player to do this. It was unusual to see Cooney do it. BMK seems to have the mindset and personality to help SU out and do it. It is a sacrafice of time for the benefit of the program. I could easily see Grant thinking of himself as a 2 to 3 year guy.

If BMK would agree to a RS he would be helping the long term future of SU basketball. Also the added strength and possibly weight and experience would make the remaining two years he has left, to be as a better player. He is a serviceable backup now, he would only be better later. And SU would have more need, and more playing time, for him after Noel leaves.