Freshman starter/2deep guesses | Syracusefan.com

Freshman starter/2deep guesses

SUskibum

All Conference
Syracuse football reaches the end of spring; here's what to expect for final scrimmage
"You see guys straining to get better," Babers said. "That's going to all pay off for us in the fall when we get the rest of the football team.

"Anytime you get so many scholarship athletes who aren't with you, and rightfully so, they're finishing up their high school, but those guys are going to be a part of what we do, whether it's special teams or helping the underbelly or one or two guys having an opportunity to break through and maybe even be a starter."

HCDFB doesn’t usually give us much, but he did let on that we may have a starter or two emerge from the incoming frosh (non-early enrollees).

It’s been a slow spring, thought this would be a fun thread...

Any guesses?

My two guesses, in order of likelihood, are:

1. Hendrix
2. Trill

For the record, I like Trill and Hendrix as well, but don't care for the word underbelly.

I'll go with Cisco to start. If you mean freshman who aren't on campus yet I'll go with Trill to crack the starting lineup at corner followed by a push from Hendrix. I think it's a tall order for a WR to start in this system. From a physical standpoint he seems to have all the tools, from a technical standpoint who knows.

By the way, I love our entire class from last year. I'm really excited about a bunch of these kids and really looking forward to seeing what Howard can bring to the RB spot and Okechukwu to DEnd.

Chan
Honestly, I kinda think this is the most likely. I love Hofrichter, but I can't imagine him pulling kickoff, FG, and punting duty.

Howard. Special teams. Kid is strong as an ox. Less likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was used in the same capacity as Elmore, on Offense, with more of a run threat.

Agree with most here. My best guess would be Cisco, Trill and Hendrix possibly making the two-deep. Hard to say for the DBs since we'll get to see Coley and Melifonwu this year. Those kids were good prospects and might be kind of forgotten about since they redshirted. One of the freshman RBs might get a handful of carries, but I'm thinking Markenzy Pierre will get more chances this season.

lets just hope the running game improves so there are more run carries to go around.. getting to 90+ plays a game consistently would be better if we had a few more 7-8-9-10 play drives where we ran it down a teams throat..

Cisco sounds like he is a good bet with the need and the fact he's been here. I wonder what that means about Cameron Jonas who we have heard nothing about this spring. Is he full go after his injury? Coming in I expected even more from him than Cisco. I see Duwayne Johnson hopefully making it hear and getting some minutes too though but there is still minutes to be had there.

Trill would be my first guess after that but Melifonwu will see playing time first as he's been here a year and Stritz probably will too as he has had the spring there at the position and uses his shirt already. I don't see much time available at CB unless there is a significant injury. Don't waste his year unless they want to start him out at safety to get him some time on the field where its available. Is Coley practicing at CB or S?

I really don't see many freshman being needed. We don't have great depth as Dino says but is it worth it to burn a true freshman year when you have a back-up that is about the same? Unless your talking major injuries and significant time is available. But we will need a few guys on specials where the physically ready freshman will be worth using and will be needed. I could see maybe Lutz, Howard Dixon and Juan Wallace at specials.

Last edited:
Some of us underestimate how hard it is to play a skill position in our scheme. A lot of check with me’s and non verbals. The skill might be there but you have to be able to understand the scheme. We can’t play fast when players are thinking too much. Defensively I think Cisco will be in the two deep along with Wallace, Trill and possibly Lutz on offense. Dixon might be used as a powerback. Kinda like the role Elmore had this past season

Cisco sounds like he is a good bet with the need and the fact he's been here. I wonder what that means about Cameron Jonas who we have heard nothing about this spring. Is he full go after his injury? Coming in I expected even more from him than Cisco. I see Duwayne Johnson hopefully making it hear and getting some minutes too though but there is still minutes to be had there.

Trill would be my first guess after that but Melifonwu will see playing time first as he's been here a year and Stritz probably will too as he has had the spring there at the position and uses his shirt already. I don't see much time available at CB unless there is a significant injury. Don't waste his year unless they want to start him out at safety to get him some time on the field where its available. Is Coley practicing at CB or S?

I really don't see many freshman being needed. We don't have great depth as Dino says but is it worth it to burn a true freshman year when you have a back-up that is about the same? Unless your talking major injuries and significant time is available. But we will need a few guys on specials where the physically ready freshman will be worth using and will be needed. I could see maybe Lutz, Howard Dixon and Juan Wallace at specials.

I don't think Jonas is ready...

Some of us underestimate how hard it is to play a skill position in our scheme. A lot of check with me’s and non verbals. The skill might be there but you have to be able to understand the scheme. We can’t play fast when players are thinking too much. Defensively I think Cisco will be in the two deep along with Wallace, Trill and possibly Lutz on offense. Dixon might be used as a powerback. Kinda like the role Elmore had this past season

I agree. And the only true frosh to have any significant impact on offense under Babers are Moe Neal as #2 RB in 2016 and Elmore as a blocking back in 2017. Nykeim Johnson made the 2 deep, but had only 8 or so catches in mop-up time.

On defense, we had Coleman & Black at DE in 2016, and Williams at DT, by sheer necessity, Bradshaw played some in reserve at CB in 2016, and Jonathan played some at DE in 2017. And that is about it, other than specials and mop-up.

The team should be better and deeper in 2018 -- but maybe Cisco has a chance, one of the new RBs, and Hendrix at WR. Would be good to recruit some prospects who are so good they deserve to play in prime time.

I would love if we didn’t burn any shirts. Unless a kid comes in and is better than the 1, don’t play him.

I agree. And the only true frosh to have any significant impact on offense under Babers are Moe Neal as #2 RB in 2016 and Elmore as a blocking back in 2017. Nykeim Johnson made the 2 deep, but had only 8 or so catches in mop-up time.

On defense, we had Coleman & Black at DE in 2016, and Williams at DT, by sheer necessity, Bradshaw played some in reserve at CB in 2016, and Jonathan played some at DE in 2017. And that is about it, other than specials and mop-up.

The team should be better and deeper in 2018 -- but maybe Cisco has a chance, one of the new RBs, and Hendrix at WR. Would be good to recruit some prospects who are so good they deserve to play in prime time.
Right and actually I forgot to add Hendrix. I like his athletic ability makes him a priority to be on the field whether he has the playbook down or not.

Agreed however, NJohnson and Pierre were given early opportunities and couldn’t hang onto the ball. I’d bet if NJ didn’t have the drops and Pierre fumble his first handoff things may have been different.

That’s said I agree with you and Babers defers to his vets but I keep hoping there’s a Mike Williams type lurking

Agreed however, NJohnson and Pierre were given early opportunities and couldn’t hang onto the ball. I’d bet if NJ didn’t have the drops and Pierre fumble his first handoff things may have been different.

That’s said I agree with you and Babers defers to his vets but I keep hoping there’s a Mike Williams type lurking
True about NJ and Pierre, but they were behind good veterans and Babers wasn't going to rotate them in absent injuries. Pierre did not seem ready, even when he did get a few chances. Might be different with Howard or Dixon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom