Freshmen expectations | Syracusefan.com

Freshmen expectations

Orangezoo

In the wind
So I know SWC has something posted already out there likely but this is a quick and dirty of freshmen production the past 6 years. I think it points out why rolling with this big class and not replacing Cole and over relying on Benny is hard to swallow.

The list below has 2 4 7 rank and then top two stats

#32 Benny - 1.9p 1.4r
#34 Battle 11.3p 2.1r
#34 Mali 13.4p 4.3r
#61 J Carey 3.5p 1.6r
#66 Moyer (redshirt)
#72 Lydon 10.1p 6.3r
#74 T Thompson 9.2r 3.8r
#79 F Howard 1.6p 1.3r
#90 Richmond 6.3p 3.1a
#97 Goodine 1.9p 1.0r
#111 Marek 5.8p 3.5r
#121 Guerrier 6.9p 5.3r
#137 Oshae 14.9p 8.8r
#147 Woody 3.5p 1.8r
#151 Braswell 2.2p 0.8r
#190 Sidibe 2.7p 3.2r
#198 Jesse 2.4p 1.7r
#201 Frank 1.5p 1.3r
#202 Joe 12.4p 3.5a
#289 How Wash 1.1p 0.6a
#349 Buddy 6.8p 1.6r
#480 JBA (redshirt)

For next year we are trying to replace 50 pts and 20 rebs a game. Even if we are a more defensive team - make that 40 and 16 then.

That is a big lift and we would have to get the best combination of freshmen productivity, including at least 1 if not 2 surprises to get there. A veteran transfer makes sense mathwise a great deal.

Mixed bag. One factor is PT and who was returning in front is some of them. All of them weren’t expected to start or contend to be a starter. The best case scenario, like you mentioned as have others, is to get a veteran. Preferably one who would be here for 1 year only.

I suspect the returning players will get some of those 40 points / game. Benny will need to step up and Judah looks like he will have to score. I would like an experienced wing that can score, but someone always surprises, with 6 new players hopefully Judah and 1 of the incoming wings will be better than advertised.

Mixed bag. One factor is PT and who was returning in front is some of them. All of them weren’t expected to start or contend to be a starter. The best case scenario, like you mentioned as have others, is to get a veteran. Preferably one who would be here for 1 year only.

For sure. Like in 2016 you got 23pts from Mali and Lydon. Lots of experience in the backcourt next to them, including the best player in Gbinije. A lot of our guys blossomed in years 2 or 3. Just a lot to put on the youngsters.

So I know SWC has something posted already out there likely but this is a quick and dirty of freshmen production the past 6 years. I think it points out why rolling with this big class and not replacing Cole and over relying on Benny is hard to swallow.

The list below has 2 4 7 rank and then top two stats

#32 Benny - 1.9p 1.4r
#34 Battle 11.3p 2.1r
#34 Mali 13.4p 4.3r
#61 J Carey 3.5p 1.6r
#66 Moyer (redshirt)
#72 Lydon 10.1p 6.3r
#74 T Thompson 9.2r 3.8r
#79 F Howard 1.6p 1.3r
#90 Richmond 6.3p 3.1a
#97 Goodine 1.9p 1.0r
#111 Marek 5.8p 3.5r
#121 Guerrier 6.9p 5.3r
#137 Oshae 14.9p 8.8r
#147 Woody 3.5p 1.8r
#151 Braswell 2.2p 0.8r
#190 Sidibe 2.7p 3.2r
#198 Jesse 2.4p 1.7r
#201 Frank 1.5p 1.3r
#202 Joe 12.4p 3.5a
#289 How Wash 1.1p 0.6a
#349 Buddy 6.8p 1.6r
#480 JBA (redshirt)

For next year we are trying to replace 50 pts and 20 rebs a game. Even if we are a more defensive team - make that 40 and 16 then.

That is a big lift and we would have to get the best combination of freshmen productivity, including at least 1 if not 2 surprises to get there. A veteran transfer makes sense mathwise a great deal.
Thanks for putting that together. MPG would be a helpful addition.

I suspect the returning players will get some of those 40 points / game. Benny will need to step up and Judah looks like he will have to score. I would like an experienced wing that can score, but someone always surprises, with 6 new players hopefully Judah and 1 of the incoming wings will be better than advertised.

I think we need Benny plus two frosh to be solid producers and then one more frosh to be a decent backup. So to me without a veteran 3/6 is the real need.

Thanks for putting that together. MPG would be a helpful addition.

MPG helps if you want to look at per 40. I think aggregate production is more the point here. Efficiency points to future benefit but pure production is what we need hence my comment about the 40 to 50 pts. We also need to bring down opponent scoring to the low 60s again like better defensive years.

In a non veteran scenario I think we need to see:

Mintz at 12/4 , Joe at 15/3, Symir at 5/4, Jesse at 15 and 7, Benny at 10/5. That would be a plus 29. Thus then from two other frosh and Ballard( guessing) we need around 12-15 pts and 6 boards a game. Let me add that I'm referencing just to replace last year as best possible. We need to improve our scoring defense a lot for getting to that point to mean something in wins and losses.

In the above scenario one veteran can likely get you most of the way with the other frosh adding on top.

To me this class needs to be the 2015 class just bigger. If that works out, given we did rely heavily on two frosh that year and this year it would likely be 3 without a vet then we are in good shape. The 247 numbers provide precedent for that possibility. So again I am speaking to preference but not saying possibilities aren't there.

Last edited:
MPG helps if you want to look at per 40. I think aggregate production is more the point here. Efficiency points to future benefit but pure production is what we need hence my comment about the 40 to 50 pts. We also need to bring down opponent scoring to the low 60s again like better defensive years.

In a non veteran scenario I think we need to see:

Mintz at 12/4 , Joe at 15/3, Symir at 5/4, Jesse at 15 and 7, Benny at 10/5. That would be a plus 29. Thus then from two other frosh and Ballard( guessing) we need around 12-15 pts and 6 boards a game. Let me add that I'm referencing just to replace last year as best possible. We need to improve our scoring defense a lot for getting to that point to mean something in wins and losses.

In the above scenario one veteran can likely get you most of the way with the other frosh adding on top.

To me this class needs to be the 2015 class just bigger. If that works out, given we did rely heavily on two frosh that year and this year it would likely be 3 without a vet then we are in good shape. The 247 numbers provide precedent for that possibility. So again I am speaking to preference but not saying possibilities aren't there.
would I like 1 or 2 more scorers from the portal? clearly.

however, this issue of finding production to me is a non-issue.

last season, if anything, there werent enough shots to go around...there were 4 gunners and only 1 one gun. cole went long stretches of games without touching the ball. and jg3 didnt get his shots in many games. jesse only become a focal point towards the games right before his injury.

as you can see from the duke loss in acct - sometimes in basketball 1 gun and 1 gunner works out better in the end...everyone knows their roles and can just do it. joe went off in the 1st half cuz he had the green light and didnt have to second guess himself.

yeah having 5 burger boys would be the ideal...but aside from that...sometimes its better to have defined roles and versatile skillsets...and i think the team has the makings of that..

jessie joe judah sy etc...plus all the other nwcomers...scoring wont be a problem.

Of the Freshman coming in I think Judah and Taylor are prob the most College ready. Copeland could come in and play in spurts but with Symir back, his play will be limited. If Bunch plays like Benny did this year then he prob will only play in mop up duty. Maliq Brown is a wait and see, if he plays like he did in Highschool then he could be the first forward off the bench. Peter Carey in my eyes is an exact mold of Jesse, give him a year and he could be something special, the kids pretty dang smart aswell, you have to be in order to go to his prep school.

The 2022 Super Six will put Syracuse back into the national limelight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom