Friday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
large_sucelebratesbetitle06.jpg

SU picked to win Big East

Syracuse's Midnight Madness is sold out

Syracuse Season Preview

Syracuse ready to shed its underachiever reputation

Orange Watch Friday: Familiar Final Four Trip on the Horizon?

Basketball Hype or Just Plain Madness?

'Jersey Shore' star Deena to appear at Benjamin's in Syracuse Friday night

Syracuse basketball links: Will SU-Georgetown rivalry be as intense with Orange in ACC?

Does SU have 'all the pieces' to make a run at the national title?

The Axepress Lane: Well, hello Syracuse basketball

Videos

Boeheim eager to tipoff training camp

SU men's basketball team spends day on Fort Drum

Julie takes part in cancer screening

Former Players

jordan-brand-melo-billboard-nyc-1.jpg

Carmelo Anthony Glad He Forced a Trade Out of Denver

All-Star Carmelo Anthony Teams Up with MISSION Athletecare(TM) to Unveil ...

Signs Of A Possible Renaissance In Detroit

Donte Greene organizing charity game in Sac

Around The Big East

Hoops only for Temple? | Philadelphia Daily News | 2011-10-14

Georgetown basketball readies for return to court after tumultuous offseason

Search firm hired to find Marquette athletic director

Georgetown's John Thompson remains calm amid Big East turmoil

Robinson Out Three To Four Weeks

Tip-off Luncheon Notebook

Pitt freshman forward Khem Birch not worried by McDonald’s All-American tag

UConn coaches want to stay in Big East? Don't believe it

Brey concerned about the future of the Big East

Jim Williams: Big East needs to go after TV markets

Around The Nation

The Ten Best Midnight Madness Events

Midnight Madness: college hoops practice begins

ESPN Insider
Midnight Madness visitors

Kentucky Season Preview

Of Course The ACC Move Was About Money, But It Was About Stability Too

Heartbroken Ohio State fans look to basketball for solace

Madness won't wait

Blogs

ACC Realignment: Smart Money On Keeping Atlantic, Coastal Divisions?

Midnight Madness Contest: Who Will Win The Syracuse Legends Game?

Syracuse Honors 8 LetterWinners of Distinction, You're Not One Of Them

Dino

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que aims at New England to carry forth a taste of ...

SU Women's Hoops

Orange land in-state star on way to ACC

Deena at Benjamin's and not the Dome makes me very happy

Dino really has to STOP whoring itslef out.they are soon to become just another crappy franchise bbq joint.Hell, lot of people think they allready lost alot of what made them special.Was fine when they went to Rochester.They should have stopped there.once again greed takes over.

The link you provided doesn't seem to go anywhere...
I have linked it twice, tested the link, both times it worked. Instead of the link here is a copy and paste.
Investment company of billionaire George Soros relishes big stake in Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Published: Saturday, June 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Syracuse, NY - Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, the popular Syracuse eatery, may have been founded by bikers. But now, it has a big corporate backer.

Soros Strategic Partners LP, a private investment company launched by one of the world's wealthiest people, billionaire financier George Soros, owns 70 percent of the business, Dinosaur co-founder John Stage said today.

Soros' company made the investment last year, but Stage kept it quiet until now. News leaked out after Dinosaur Bar-B-Que filed documents listing the company owners on an application for tax breaks in Troy, where Stage hopes to open his next restaurant.
The Times Union of Albany first reported Soros' involvement today.

Stage, who opened a Dinosaur location in Harlem in 2004, said he met and befriended two partners from Soros Strategic Partners, David Wassong and Mark Pinho, a couple of years ago in New York. When Stage's former partners in the Dinosaur business, Syracusans Larry and Nancy Luckwaldt, retired and sold their shares last year, Soros Strategic Partners bought them.

large_041509JohnStage.JPG

John Berry / The Post-StandardJohn Stage at work in April the day before an open house for the new Upstairs at the Dino.

"They're basically friends of mine that love the restaurant," Stage said of Wassong and Pinho. "When Nancy and Larry, my partners, retired, they pretty much took over their shares."

medium_012308Soros.jpg

The Associated PressGeorge Soros

Stage declined to say how much Soros Strategic Partners paid for the shares. As for George Soros, "I've never met the man," Stage said.

The Soros company has other restaurant investments. In 2007, Soros Strategic Partners and Kinderhook Industries paid $180 million to buy seven restaurants in the Mastro's Steakhouse chain in Arizona.

Stage said he owns 25 percent of the Dinosaur, and several minor investors own the remaining 5 percent.

Stage, 49, and former partner Michael Rotella opened the original Syracuse restaurant in 1988, after years of cooking for fellow bikers on a mobile grill they carted to biker shows. A second restaurant in Rochester opened a decade later.

Last month, TV show "Good Morning America" named Dinosaur the best barbecue joint in the country.

Now the Dinosaur is seeking its fourth location, which may open in a vacant building on the waterfront in Troy.

According to the Times Union, the city has offered an estimated $463,000 in upfront tax breaks, plus a 20-year payment in lieu of taxes at a reduced rate. Dinosaur plans to pay $1.65 million for a building last occupied by Fresno's, a restaurant that closed in 2007, the paper reported.

Although his investors have deep, deep pockets, Stage said he is still running the business and has no immediate plans to expand beyond Troy.

"That's it, brother. I do one at a time," Stage said. "I have a hard time looking beyond one."

Tim Knauss can be reached at tknauss@syracuse.com or 315-470-3023.

I have linked it twice, tested the link, both times it worked. Instead of the link here is a copy and paste.
Investment company of billionaire George Soros relishes big stake in Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Published: Saturday, June 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Syracuse, NY - Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, the popular Syracuse eatery, may have been founded by bikers. But now, it has a big corporate backer.

Soros Strategic Partners LP, a private investment company launched by one of the world's wealthiest people, billionaire financier George Soros, owns 70 percent of the business, Dinosaur co-founder John Stage said today.

Soros' company made the investment last year, but Stage kept it quiet until now. News leaked out after Dinosaur Bar-B-Que filed documents listing the company owners on an application for tax breaks in Troy, where Stage hopes to open his next restaurant.
The Times Union of Albany first reported Soros' involvement today.

Stage, who opened a Dinosaur location in Harlem in 2004, said he met and befriended two partners from Soros Strategic Partners, David Wassong and Mark Pinho, a couple of years ago in New York. When Stage's former partners in the Dinosaur business, Syracusans Larry and Nancy Luckwaldt, retired and sold their shares last year, Soros Strategic Partners bought them.

large_041509JohnStage.JPG

John Berry / The Post-StandardJohn Stage at work in April the day before an open house for the new Upstairs at the Dino.

"They're basically friends of mine that love the restaurant," Stage said of Wassong and Pinho. "When Nancy and Larry, my partners, retired, they pretty much took over their shares."

medium_012308Soros.jpg

The Associated PressGeorge Soros

Stage declined to say how much Soros Strategic Partners paid for the shares. As for George Soros, "I've never met the man," Stage said.

The Soros company has other restaurant investments. In 2007, Soros Strategic Partners and Kinderhook Industries paid $180 million to buy seven restaurants in the Mastro's Steakhouse chain in Arizona.

Stage said he owns 25 percent of the Dinosaur, and several minor investors own the remaining 5 percent.

Stage, 49, and former partner Michael Rotella opened the original Syracuse restaurant in 1988, after years of cooking for fellow bikers on a mobile grill they carted to biker shows. A second restaurant in Rochester opened a decade later.

Last month, TV show "Good Morning America" named Dinosaur the best barbecue joint in the country.

Now the Dinosaur is seeking its fourth location, which may open in a vacant building on the waterfront in Troy.

According to the Times Union, the city has offered an estimated $463,000 in upfront tax breaks, plus a 20-year payment in lieu of taxes at a reduced rate. Dinosaur plans to pay $1.65 million for a building last occupied by Fresno's, a restaurant that closed in 2007, the paper reported.

Although his investors have deep, deep pockets, Stage said he is still running the business and has no immediate plans to expand beyond Troy.

"That's it, brother. I do one at a time," Stage said. "I have a hard time looking beyond one."

Tim Knauss can be reached at tknauss@syracuse.com or 315-470-3023.

Thanks for the link.
But are you seriously saying it's a bad thing for Syracuse and Upstate New York to be attracting investment?
Kudos to Soros for knowing a good thing when he sees it.

Yes, bad thing to be expanding.The food has already gone down hill.Used to be nice to have Dino as a Syracuse joint.It no longer has the appeal it once did.Gonna be just another bbq joint soon.And expanding to other states isn't doing anything for Syracuse.

Reply to Syracuse 1957

"Thanks for the link.
But are you seriously saying it's a bad thing for Syracuse and Upstate New York to be attracting investment?
Kudos to Soros for knowing a good thing when he sees it."

No Syracuse 1957 I'm not saying that at all, I just don't like the source. Are you familiar with George Soros and his background and the role he is playing in the international economy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom