From strictly a basketball standpoint | Syracusefan.com

From strictly a basketball standpoint

two3zone

RIP Shark58
Do you like the move to the ACC from the Big East? I think it's cool and exciting playing Duke and UNC every season but outside of those two squads the conference it kinda sucks. The thing I loved about the BE is every game on the schedule kept you on edge and the wins were so meaningful, like every game was a rivalry. Second part of the question, if it wasn't for football, would we have moved from the BE?

It's going to take getting used to, but I was fine with BE basketball the way it was. Still, Duke, UNC and new rivalries will make this just as much fun, especially if there's longevity to the conference.

Strictly basketball-wise... competition is probably a lateral move, counting LVille as an ACC team. Top tier with SU, LVille, Duke, and UNC vs SU, UConn, LVille edge to ACC. Middle class of Pitt, Virginia, ND, NC State, G Tech, Miami, FSU vs GTown, Marq, Nova, Pitt, ND. Cincy,... big edge to BE. Bottom tier VTech, Clem, BC, Wake vs Seton Hall, SJU, Prov, Depaul, USF, Rutgers... big edge ACC. From a rivalry and history standpoint, of course the BE is better. But we're not alone in the ACC the way BC was with all the old BE teams there now and it wont take long for a good hatred to build with other ACC schools. But if it weren't for football/$... no of course we'd have stayed.

Do you like the move to the ACC from the Big East? I think it's cool and exciting playing Duke and UNC every season but outside of those two squads the conference it kinda sucks. The thing I loved about the BE is every game on the schedule kept you on edge and the wins were so meaningful, like every game was a rivalry. Second part of the question, if it wasn't for football, would we have moved from the BE?

Not to poke at the question too much, but how do you figure that outside of Duke and UNC the conference sucks? There are more nationally relevant programs in the ACC over the past ten years than in the Big East.

I regard the NEW ACC as the amalgamation of the best of the Big East and ACC. SU, Pitt, ND and the Ville add wonderful depth to a conference that was very top heavy and uncompetitive. We came along just in time! So, from a basketball point of view, I am excited.

The teams are pretty similar - Maryland, NC State and Wake might not be great but they have tradition like a Nova - Miami, FSU, Virgina and Clemson are capable of having good teams from time to time

The one thing I loved about the Big East was that no team feared us and they came out battling all the time....except the 'girls

Not sure it wil be as big a deal for ACC teams to beat us as it was to BE teams. we were constantly the in the top 1,2 or 3 teams in the league from the start, and we whooped up on a lot of teams. There was a lot of hate for SU in the old league, which made for great games. Not sure we will have that again in my lifetime.

PoppyHart said:
No, assuming Louisville and Pitt and ND stayed put.

Yes, I should have clarified that in my original post. Thank you :)

Personally, I would have preferred the BE would have just stood pat - no changes. I've been a conference lover since the mid 80's so this move is hard to take for me. However, it is what it is and I look forward to the future with the ACC. Major downfall for me seems to be a lot fewer games available to me on TV which is a real bummer. Hopefully that will change next year.

I honestly believe the move was made for football. Hmmmm, how's that working out the first year?????

Personally, I would have preferred the BE would have just stood pat - no changes. I've been a conference lover since the mid 80's so this move is hard to take for me. However, it is what it is and I look forward to the future with the ACC. Major downfall for me seems to be a lot fewer games available to me on TV which is a real bummer. Hopefully that will change next year.

I honestly believe the move was made for football. Hmmmm, how's that working out the first year?????
Well the team is bowl eligible in its first year with a new coaching staff and a brand new IPF is on its way, so it's going pretty well if you ask me.

Once Louisville joins, we'll have a conference that includes:

Syracuse
Pitt
Notre Dame
Louisville
Duke
North Carolina

Is that arguably better than a top 6 of:

Syracuse
Pitt
Notre Dame
Louisville
UConn
Georgetown

I say it is, so I'm overall pretty happy about it. Yes, it breaks tradition to not play teams like St. John's and Providence every year, but in terms of quality that's not much different than playing the likes of NC State and Boston College. And playing, say, Virginia, does more for me than playing someone like Rutgers.

I'm sorry, Virginia, I feel like I've insulted you, putting you in the same sentence as Rutgers.

I think it's a wash. The only Big East teams I consistently got excited for we're UConn, Georgetown, Nova, Louisville, Pitt and Notre Dame. In the last 13 years I was excited to play SJU twice, both in 2011. I can't recall ever being excited to play PC, SHU,Rutgers, DePaul, USF, Cincy, Marquette (even though they're a really good program they just never mattered to me) or WVU.

In the ACC I'll still be excited to play Pitt, ND and Louisville. Add Duke and Carolina to that along with the fact that I think it's hilarious how much we upset NC State fans and it is definitely a wash.

And we will never be the number one rival for the old guard ACC teams, but they'll hate us just fine when they can't beat us.

from a basketball standpoint, the ACC blew it by not taking UConn. I'd rather see UConn there than any of the other BE schools, with the possible exception of Louisville. I understand why they took Notre Dame (but I think UND is fool's gold), but the basketball would have been unquestionably dominant if they had added a "northern" quartet of SU, UConn, Louisville and Pitt.

This is an interesting topic. I always enjoyed watching BE games, even when Pitt was not playing in them. I used to root or other BE teams when they play OOC and in the NCAA tourney (except for WVU). I think the team I will miss seeing Pitt play the most is Uconn. In the last decade Pitt has had some fun battles with them in the BET and regular season. I am catching myself now still tuning in for old BE games and rooting for them OOC. I have not felt the same pride about the ACC yet. Maybe the ACC vs Big 10 battle will help change that.

Anyways, I am glad that Pitt is not alone in moving to a conference. I am excited that they still get to play Syracuse, Louisville, and ND. I believe when Louisville joins, Pitt will get Cuse and Louisville twice every year.