Frustrating - Understandable? | Syracusefan.com

Frustrating - Understandable?

javadoc

All American
We have at least one of our coaches on record as saying that when they came in, they put all the best athletes on defense, especially among new recruits.

We have had problems for years with one or two guys on opposing teams' offenses, guys who seemed to be faster than our entire defense.

Week one this year, Mark from NW gashes us, and arguably wins the game for NW.

Last week, we were killed by 2 WR's. QB is what it is, you don't have the same issue with putting a real QB elsewhere for his athleticism.

We're getting killed by the best, fastest athletes on other teams' offenses. So why are we choosing to put out best athletes on defense?

Fastest way to make the football team competitive while they were upgrading the roster. Stopped the blow outs. Winning record and Bowl game year 2 on the back of the defense...

Mark ran for 82 yards- he gashed the special teams guys for 185 yards, not the defense..

USC is the best offense we will see for years, and the defense held them for three quarters pretty well

Our basketball coach preaches defense first, it works in football too...

Which players are examples of this -- highly promising WRs or RBs who were moved under Marrone?

Merkerson shuffled between offense and defense under GROB; never showed much as a WR and ended up being a good DB once he added a little muscle. Davis was a WR in high school but converted to defense at Milford. Other fast players started and stuck on defense (Sharmarko and Phillip Thomas) but were recruited as defensive players. Graham started at safety and was converted to WR. Reddish and Morgan might have good skills on offense, but seem like naturals on the defensive side.

Maybe he's referring to Hogue and Smith? I don't know. There have also been some guys who have gone the other way too, like DMC. Granted, he was a RB in HS as well, but it's not that unusual for gifted athletes to play both ways in HS.

Maybe he's referring to Hogue and Smith? I don't know. There have also been some guys who have gone the other way too, like DMC. Granted, he was a RB in HS as well, but it's not that unusual for gifted athletes to play both ways in HS.

Eskridge, Reddish & Dontez Ford are three most recent names I can come up with...and Devante McFarlane who got moved back...

Eskridge, Reddish & Dontez Ford are three most recent names I can come up with...and Devante McFarlane who got moved back...
Didn't some of those guys play both ways in HS?

I think the key phrase is "... when they came in.". I suspect the thinking at the time was that a stout defense would keep us in every game, and provide our best chance to win immediately while the team was rebuilt over time. Looking back, this formula was the basis for our success and bowl game victory 2 years ago.

I'm not so sure this is currently the approach, as evidenced by guys like Broyld and McFarlane lining up on offense. Players like Mark and the 2 USN WRs are unique talents, and Marrone has repeatedly stated he is trying to recruit guys like this with big play potential. The only 2 current defensive players who I think could make an impact on offense are Reddish and Morgan at WR, which is a position we seem to have plenty of depth right now.

We have at least one of our coaches on record as saying that when they came in, they put all the best athletes on defense, especially among new recruits.

We have had problems for years with one or two guys on opposing teams' offenses, guys who seemed to be faster than our entire defense.

Week one this year, Mark from NW gashes us, and arguably wins the game for NW.

Last week, we were killed by 2 WR's. QB is what it is, you don't have the same issue with putting a real QB elsewhere for his athleticism.

We're getting killed by the best, fastest athletes on other teams' offenses. So why are we choosing to put out best athletes on defense?

who said that and who are the players on defense that should be playing offense?

is there any better athlete recruit than broyld recently?

whoever said it was probably a defensive coach looking for something to say and trying to puff up some kid who didn't want to get switched to defense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom