FT% ===> 3pt% correlation | Syracusefan.com

FT% ===> 3pt% correlation

Cstate

Scout Team
I recall many times on this board individuals talking about a players ft/3pt percentages and how they usually go hand in hand. I never really thought of it like that, but it seems to be 100% true! Watching todays games made me look some percentages up and it is quite telling. After that dude from Xavier went 5/5 from 3 in the first half, I looked him up, and sure enough his FT% is 87%. Watching UConn and Andre Jackson (he is local to my area) and he shot 29% from 3 this year with a 65% FT.

Judah and JJ were both at 30% from 3 this year (on relatively low attempts), with Judah hitting FT’s at 75% as opposed to JJ at 63%. With how many times they are likely to be going to the line this year from getting fouled on drives, increasing their FT% will be huge! I’d say it is much easier to increase that instead of their 3pt%, which I don’t see going up dramatically, especially if they are going to be shooting even more of them.

To further cement the correlation, our high volume 3pt shooter the last two years hit his 3’s at 40% and 38% while his FT% was at 88% and 86%.

Good stuff. Check these articles out for some analysis confirming the free throw/3 point correlation:

This one mashes up a few shooting metrics, pretty interesting

Good stuff. Check these articles out for some analysis confirming the free throw/3 point correlation:

This one mashes up a few shooting metrics, pretty interesting
That’s a very interesting read. But it never really says what a good free throw percentage is. Is 72% and 74% actually good free throw percentage to correlate to good 3 point shooting? If he was a 69% shooter, only 3 percentage points off do they then leave them off the data? Just seems arbitrary.

My personal opinion is that a good free throw shooter is at least 80%. Doesn’t mean that opinion is right. But there are only 3 guys on that list that were above 80%.

With that said, I agree with the theory. If you have good mechanics, stroke and hit a high percentage of your free throw shots, you are more likely to be a better shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom