Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, I thought everyone was playing along with someone's joke.

They're not truly suggesting gondolas like in Venice. This is a people-mover in the sky, like this proposal: D.C. has taken a step to link Georgetown and Rosslyn via overhead gondola

Now if someone thinks water taxis would be a good idea, I'd be all in favor of studying that. It's goofy that everyone in the northeastern suburbs needs to drive all the way around the lake and park in the same lots and cram through the same single entrance that everyone else does. There should be some way to get people into the venue from the east.

as far as i know, they haven't put in boat docking and don't have a water side entrance. more short sightedness.

If only. But this wasn't built with the goal of creating synergy with other entities - it's very much intended to be a stand-alone venue that captures every dollar spent by concert-goers.

I'd be satisfied if they created any multi-modal way to reach the main gate and agreed to stop closing the lake trail all day on concert days.
I am down with water transport to the fair. Wish we could take better advantage of the train tracks that go from downtown to right along side the NYS fairgrounds. You can buy a ticket from Amtrak but they only run 3 times a day, with the last train going back to Syracuse leaving at 5:33 pm.

Take The Train - The Great NY State Fair | Aug. 24 - Sept. 4, 2017

It is so sad that we have a nice lake now and have done so little to drive economic benefit from it.

It is sad we can't even build a path around the lake.

The Inner Harbor is better than nothing I guess but man, we are just scratching the surface with what could be done in terms of development that could drive the economy. I hope it happens someday soon.

I am down with water transport to the fair. Wish we could take better advantage of the train tracks that go from downtown to right along side the NYS fairgrounds. You can buy a ticket from Amtrak but they only run 3 times a day, with the last train going back to Syracuse leaving at 5:33 pm.

It is so sad that we have a nice lake now and have done so little to drive economic benefit from it.

The Inner Harbor is better than nothing I guess but man, we are just scratching the surface with what could be done in terms of development that could drive the economy. I hope it happens someday soon.
I'll say this about the Inner Harbor, we're right in the heart of the development and the rumors for the future are exciting.

That being said, we've surely squandered probably our biggest natural resource in Onondaga Lake. I work with a Scientist (Environmental Engineer & Geologist) and he's skeptical at best of the clean up. Especially when shelves have already not held up.

I'll say this about the Inner Harbor, we're right in the heart of the development and the rumors for the future are exciting.

That being said, we've surely squandered probably our biggest natural resource in Onondaga Lake. I work with a Scientist (Environmental Engineer & Geologist) and he's skeptical at best of the clean up. Especially when shelves have already not held up.
It only needs to be reasonably clean. How many people really visit Skaneateles to go jump in the lake? As long as the water doesn't smell and cause your skin to fall off then most people will be just fine with it. The lake is getting there, but some people would have a meltdown if they were forced to admit that. Haters gonna hate.

The water gondola idea is fine, but not sure that's cheaper than an aerial lift. We're talking significant excavation to dig a half-mile canal. Regardless, at least they're now thinking of ways to bridge the fairgrounds with the lakeside.

It's unnecessary in our area. We get tons (literally) of precipitation every month that naturally finds it's way back into the water cycle.

Many of my college projects were centered around this and other (i.e. deforestation, desertification etc) ecological issues so I get it. My point is simple, if this was proposed in Denver or Dallas or Phoenix I think it would be a great idea and money well spent. But when you live in an area that gets more than enough precip and within 40 miles of 20-25% of all the world's fresh water, I think the rain water recycling roof project is nothing more than PC run amuck. Just my opinion and probably should have been saved for the OT board ;-)
except they got none last year and much of the area is still in drought conditions

I'm trying to do a 'man on fire' set of responses. Don't think about it that deep bro. ;)
Wasn't talking about yours. Was talking about the post that proposed a canal.

erie-canal-ebay.jpg

I grew up on the Erie Canal, in small towns up and down it, you can still see these boats in smaller-ish museums. They've made efforts to make the trails better in Madison/Oneida Counties but they're still a long way from where they need to be.

It only needs to be reasonably clean. How many people really visit Skaneateles to go jump in the lake? As long as the water doesn't smell and cause your skin to fall off then most people will be just fine with it. The lake is getting there, but some people would have a meltdown if they were forced to admit that. Haters gonna hate.

The water gondola idea is fine, but not sure that's cheaper than an aerial lift. We're talking significant excavation to dig a half-mile canal. Regardless, at least they're now thinking of ways to bridge the fairgrounds with the lakeside.
FYI, according to Google Maps, that canal as proposed would run less than 600 feet (assuming the drop off/pick up location would be located where I drew it).

It would be a lot closer to a tenth of a mile then half a mile. The highways are all elevated here so I don't think there would be any expenses involved on that front either.

I don't know that moving by water is a practical way to move thousands of people in a short period of time. I doubt it.

This would be more about opening up access to the fairgrounds via a different transportation method and opening up access to the lake for visitors to the NYS Fair. If we ever build an aquarium on the lake, it would be a good way to access it from the fairgrounds as well.

LOL. I think people would pay good money to have a canal ride. Would fit right into the history of the fair (the canal used to go right by it and it was a way to get there in the early days) and the history of New York State.

Could be the best ride ever...
Yes - one can dream. By land, by sea, by air! My only issue is the western end of the fairgrounds (where the canal would connect) needs a lot of TLC. Last year's changes displaced a lot of the "action" away from that area. Vendors will most likely not be back in this spot unless they see tangible incentives.

Anyway. WTH is going on with the Dome?
Nothing has been mentioned lately. I think we are going to have to wait for the next capital fund raising campaign.

As an out of stater also I find some of it interesting...but then I was born and raised in CNY.

I was born and raised there as well, but I'd rather just read the other stuff, if I chose to, on a different forum, or the newspaper website. Just my opinion.

I was born and raised there as well, but I'd rather just read the other stuff, if I chose to, on a different forum, or the newspaper website. Just my opinion.
This thread has gotten hopefully off topic. I am going to lock it and create two threads to replace it.

One to discuss the future of the SU campus, one to discuss other development in the Syracuse area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom