1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Discussion in 'Syracuse Football Board' started by CuseLegacy, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooey139

dooey139 Walk On

SUNY and CUNY schools only

Edit: You actually probably mean won't this lower their attendance! I think it could draw some people to SUNY from private schools but not in a huge way.

2. Capt. Tuttle

Capt. Tuttle Living Legend

It might enhance it the private university degree more. Public schools flooded with students, devaluing the degrees.

Cusefan0307 likes this.
  3. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

That is possible. I'm sure the SUNY's and CUNY's would still have Admissions standards, but the quality of the education received may not be as good if the investment isn't right.

4. FrancoPizza

FrancoPizza Starter

Atta boy Kent. Turn down free money. :bang:

Cusefan78 likes this.
  5. HtownOrange

HtownOrange All American

"Free" often has strings attached, especially when politicians are involveded. If the attached strings are too burdensome to the plans the University is pursuing then rejecting Albany's "free" money is the right course.

orangedave, texascpa and RMH44 like this.
  6. kcsu

kcsu All American

Superman knows what he is doing. Might go down as one of our best Chancellor ever.

Orangepace likes this.
  7. Cusefan78

Cusefan78 2nd String

You all do realize the dome was originally built with a good chunk of nys money. Su isn't turning down anything, bank on it

8. TheCusian

TheCusian Living Legend

I wonder if it would lead to a special in-state private school "allowance" for NYS kids who want to go private.

9. Toga

Toga Living Legend

I'd rather money go to one or more of:
    Reduced NYS education loan rates.
    Loan forgiveness of students with degrees in area of job needs
    Free community college with greater emphasis on education in needed trades.
    Given that maybe 50% of those entering a 4 year school will not graduate - have funding directed to those entering their junior year.

10. TheCusian

TheCusian Living Legend

Agreed. There are better ways to make this happen - but it's not the political win this is.

11. dollarbill44

dollarbill44 All American

This is where most of the education subsidies should be going. We are going to have a major shortage of skilled trade labor in the not-too-distant future so that the cost of contracting these workers is going to skyrocket. The county where I live in NJ no longer offers education in the construction/maintenance trades at the vo-tech high school. Instead, they offer cosmetology, hair-styling and computers. I guess cheap mani-pedis is more important than plumbing, electrical and HVAC. Who cares if your house is crumbling as long as your nails are well-groomed?

Cheriehoop and TexanMark like this.
  12. HtownOrange

HtownOrange All American

You make valid points. I only point out that:

1) It makes sense
    2) Any reasonable person can figure this out
    3) It's simpler than than the IRS code

Based on the three above points, you idea will never make it to the Assembly floor. When has a politician done anything sensible? Are politicians reasonable? Can politicians write laws without trying to out do the IRS?

Otherwise, your post is a good post. Especially focusing tuition assistance/loan reimbursement towards degrees that are needed. I have nothing against many degree programs but to push people into the needed areas, provide less financing to degree fields that are over saturated and provide more funding to degree fields that are needed.

Cheriehoop, Toga and CuseLegacy like this.
  13. retro44

retro44 Women's Athletic Director

14. xc84

xc84 Hall of Fame

15. KellySyracuse

KellySyracuse All Conference

hold on a minute, the university already prices out people that cannot afford to give a donation. There were 17,000 people at the game against Miami with a ton of empty seats in the lower level. Why is that? Because the folks aka corporations that can buy a lot of those seats have no vested interest in the team. Maybe they give the tickets away, maybe they don't. I would guess this is not uncommon across any venue that looks to get as much money as they can out of the best seating they have.

I went to 5 shows at the amphitheater last year and sat in front for one of them. Thanks taxpayers!

16. retro44

retro44 Women's Athletic Director

I did not even here about the box seat prices when they were in the planning stage. Is this a new concept for this year. Do they sell the seats that the owners that decide they did not want to attend.
    Plus I was looking at the donations for the box seats as the POTENTIAL PROBLEM on the donations to the university,not so much as the overall seat sales to the general public. The timing of the events here just might take away some from the other SU events.
    I had to travel to Maryland for the day on Miami gameday ,but the announcers said on the radio the weather was a factor for the low attendance.

17. KellySyracuse

the amphitheater sold box seats last year as a season package as they are doing this year. A friend works for a company that purchased 4 box seats and tickets to one of the shows were available. There is a bar and restroom in the building behind the stage for those that pony up the extra money. Just like paying for Club 44 passes.

Regarding the Miami game, the weather was bad north of Pulaski, most of Onondaga county was free and clear of any snow but it was cold and windy. The attendance was down because of St. John's and BC. And UConn and Georgetown. The fairweathers should start coming back now that the team is back to winning.

Cheriehoop likes this.
  18. KellySyracuse

19. IthacaMatt

IthacaMatt Hall of Fame

I believe the benefit is only for state schools, not private. If you're worried about decreased attendance / applications to the private schools, yes, some will suffer, but others who brand themselves well will be the survivors.

20. IthacaMatt

IthacaMatt Hall of Fame

Well, we would like to see the damn thing renovated. Let's get it going!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.