Elijah Hughes | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

Averaged 8 and 2 as a Freshman in 20 mpg at ECU.

Allen connection? Seems odd to take an interest in a traditional transfer when the roster is shorthanded.

Edited to add: 6'6" SG at 220lbs according to the ECU site and other recruiting sites. So, he's got the size that JAB looks for.

Allen connection? Seems odd to take an interest in a traditional transfer when the roster is shorthanded.
Really...that would really increase the need for us to land a 5th year PG, or Ayala...along with Tucker!

Wouldn't be eligible until 2018-19 if he transferred to SU.

I assume our top notch recruiter, Matt Moyer, gave JB his highest recommendation. Seems like an odd move when we are still looking to add a guard who could play this year.

Looks like he could be a defensive monster at the top of the zone. Steals and blocks galore!

Could mean a lot of things. He could just be a longterm depth option. They may be projecting him to be better after a redshirt year than anyone they could reasonably get in the 2018 class. He could be a hardship waiver meant to replace Ayala if he stays in the 2018 class.

Watching that tape on him he looks the part...everything we look for and could use and has the size we like. I like that he already has a year of college under his belt too but man it really kinda sucks that he would have to sit this year. Not sure that helps us in any way considering all the options for 18 anyways. I guess a year of practice in our system would certainly help so that in 18 he would have a good grasp as to what his role is but would that make him a better prospect for us in 18 versus bringing in a top freshman for the same role?

Could mean a lot of things. He could just be a longterm depth option. They may be projecting him to be better after a redshirt year than anyone they could reasonably get in the 2018 class. He could be a hardship waiver meant to replace Ayala if he stays in the 2018 class.

Hardship waivers don't exist anymore.

On the surface, I don't either. I'm trying to think about our roster possibilities for next year but with only 12 scholarships, wouldn't this limit us? I know, trust the staff. It's fair to ask questions.
I mostly trust the staff on who they want to get (relative to circumstances), but I sure don't trust how the staff goes about trying to get players.

On the surface, I don't either. I'm trying to think about our roster possibilities for next year but with only 12 scholarships, wouldn't this limit us? I know, trust the staff. It's fair to ask questions.

Especially considering all of the talented prospects we're involved with for the class of 2018. We're facing limited scholarships -- doesn't make sense to take one of them up with a traditional transfer, thereby depriving us of the opportunity to sign one of the class of 2018 prospects we're involved with.

Especially considering all of the talented prospects we're involved with for the class of 2018. We're facing limited scholarships -- doesn't make sense to take one of them up with a traditional transfer, thereby depriving us of the opportunity to sign one of the class of 2018 prospects we're involved with.

Are we actually the leader for any "elite" 2018 prospects ? If not, maybe the bird in hand approach would be a way to go to build a solid class foundation & then just swing for the fences with the last open scholie.

Judging by how our recruiting has gone the last few seasons, it appears we are no longer being viewed as an elite destination by recruits. I am all for building solid foundations for the time being.