Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Difference between 13 losses and 15 probably. So picking one is more as to whether you prefer a 5th year Thorpe and then a Frosh or a 2018 Ayala with a years experience. Imagine that is the next season in which we matter in any way.
??? How do you know that?

His name is Geno. Have we had a Geno on the team before?

??? How do you know that?

Because that is what the past few years and the look of next years roster is looking like to me. If we knew everything that was going to happen for certain then there would be no need for this message board.

Difference between 13 losses and 15 probably. So picking one is more as to whether you prefer a 5th year Thorpe and then a Frosh or a 2018 Ayala with a years experience. Imagine that is the next season in which we matter in any way.

Or it could mean that the staff recognizes that we aren't returning much scoring, and that a proven commodity like Thorpe who is a double figure scorer would help address that more than a true frosh.

Or it could mean that they want as many scholarships available for the class of 2018, and a player like Thorpe is attractive both in terms of short term help and because he'd come off the books after next season.

Or it could mean that Ayala isn't going to come here, the staff recognizes that, and they also recognize the need to build additional backcout depth.

Or it could mean that the staff recognizes that we aren't returning much scoring, and that a proven commodity like Thorpe who is a double figure scorer would help address that more than a true frosh.

Or it could mean that they want as many scholarships available for the class of 2018, and a player like Thorpe is attractive both in terms of short term help and because he'd come off the books after next season.

Or it could mean that Ayala isn't going to come here, the staff recognizes that, and they also recognize the need to build additional backcout depth.

I literally gave 2 options without picking one. I actually prefer Thorpe plus an '18 frosh.

Because that is what the past few years and the look of next years roster is looking like to me. If we knew everything that was going to happen for certain then there would be no need for this message board.
I'm not conceding 13 to 15 losses. Not until we know what we have. I know we have two proven scorers. That is a start. not let's see how good Brissett is. I think he might surprise. same with Marek, if we are lucky enough to get him. I want Thorpe. I think he would help a lot.

I'm not conceding 13 to 15 losses. Not until we know what we have. I know we have two proven scorers. That is a start. not let's see how good Brissett is. I think he might surprise. same with Marek, if we are lucky enough to get him. I want Thorpe. I think he would help a lot.

My thought process is based on the last 3 years in which we've lost at least 13 and those teams all seemed to have a lot more returning and incoming than this one does. I'm just scared of how we're going to win games that go beyond the 60s. Thorpe would certainly help that more than Ayala would.

My thought process is based on the last 3 years in which we've lost at least 13 and those teams all seemed to have a lot more returning and incoming than this one does. I'm just scared of how we're going to win games that go beyond the 60s. Thorpe would certainly help that more than Ayala would.
I don't disagree with the thrope part. Just the 13 to 15 loss part. We may lose that many. We may lose more. But we also still could end up being good. we will know more in the coming months than we do now. We need guys to emerge that are not named TT or Battle. And they have to be real good. But we have had that happen before.

I don't disagree with the thrope part. Just the 13 to 15 loss part. We may lose that many. We may lose more. But we also still could end up being good. we will know more in the coming months than we do now. We need guys to emerge that are not named TT or Battle. And they have to be real good. But we have had that happen before.

I think there was a lot more wiggle room for a team to develop throughout the season when we were in the Big East and had some bottom feeders. The ACC is so tough every day that we don't really have time to develop in the same way as we have to pile up the Ws in the non-conference in anticipation of being right around .500 in conference.

I think there was a lot more wiggle room for a team to develop throughout the season when we were in the Big East and had some bottom feeders. The ACC is so tough every day that we don't really have time to develop in the same way as we have to pile up the Ws in the non-conference in anticipation of being right around .500 in conference.
I don't know. Boston college and pitt are pretty bad right now. That we lost to both of them last year said a lot more about us than about them.

JB was pretty adamant in an interview not too long ago, that he was less than enamored with using grad transfers, because he feels that it takes too long for them to learn the system. I think it was the same article where he said that if he had Gillon for one more year, he would have been one of the leagues leading guards.

I took from that article that I think that it will have to be the perfect situation for him to go the grad transfer route again. Personally, I don't think Thorpe is perfect situation material. He is decent, not great. And. if the defense is going to suffer as a result, I'm betting that JB would rather it suffer this coming year, with a frosh Ayala, and be better next year with a Soph Ayala. My money is on Ayala or bust. And with no inside knowledge, I think that unless Ayala suddenly gets a great offer out of the blue (which I don't see happening) I think he will be wearing SU orange this fall.

JB was pretty adamant in an interview not too long ago, that he was less than enamored with using grad transfers, because he feels that it takes too long for them to learn the system. I think it was the same article where he said that if he had Gillon for one more year, he would have been one of the leagues leading guards.

I took from that article that I think that it will have to be the perfect situation for him to go the grad transfer route again. Personally, I don't think Thorpe is perfect situation material. He is decent, not great. And. if the defense is going to suffer as a result, I'm betting that JB would rather it suffer this coming year, with a frosh Ayala, and be better next year with a Soph Ayala. My money is on Ayala or bust. And with no inside knowledge, I think that unless Ayala suddenly gets a great offer out of the blue (which I don't see happening) I think he will be wearing SU orange this fall.
College games are close. At the end of those games, do we want Thorpe a 85% ft shooter at the line, or Howard? Your choice? Who would you want?

I think you have nailed JB's thinking . . . . BUT we need a 4th guard and I don't think we can wait on Ayala forever. JB knows this as well.

I think you have nailed JB's thinking . . . . BUT we need a 4th guard and I don't think we can wait on Ayala forever. JB knows this as well.
well, most of us feel we need a 4th guard but I'm not quite sure JB does

College games are close. At the end of those games, do we want Thorpe a 85% ft shooter at the line, or Howard? Your choice? Who would you want?

dasher, my comment had nothing to do with what my thoughts were. That did not enter into the equation at all. I personally see both sides of the fence, and I am also glad I don't have to make those kinds of decisions, because I certainly don't get paid enough to have to make them! I also like PG options like Carey & Anthony for '18 quite a bit, so it is a really tough call.

Jord, you have the conundrum exactly correct, and JB's hand may be forced, no matter what he wants to do. Only time will tell.

If he didn't know that why would we be hard after Ayala?
I would guess that since they were hard after him before they decided to take Washington, he decided they would at least see that recruitment through - I just get the feeling he won't take another 5th year unless it's an emergency, and I don't think he considers 3 guards an emergency
(again, just guessing tho:noidea:)

I would guess that since they were hard after him before they decided to take Washington, he decided they would at least see that recruitment through - I just get the feeling he won't take another 5th year unless it's an emergency, and I don't think he considers 3 guards an emergency
(again, just guessing tho:noidea:)

The fault in this line of thinking is that we wanted Green to be our 2017 PG. Howard at the point in 2017 was never the plan. We scrambled and Ayala became the super late backup plan. Now we are hedging on waiting for Ayala and communicating with Thorpe. Why do you think Thorpe has yet to commit somewhere else.

The fault in this line of thinking is that we wanted Green to be our 2017 PG. Howard at the point in 2017 was never the plan. We scrambled and Ayala became the super late backup plan. Now we are hedging on waiting for Ayala and communicating with Thorpe. Why do you think Thorpe has yet to commit somewhere else.
All true - but again I just get the (perhaps unfounded) feeling JB ain't rollin' with anymore 5th yrs

All true - but again I just get the (perhaps unfounded) feeling JB ain't rollin' with anymore 5th yrs

Perhaps JB isn't gung-ho about another 5th year. I think that a fair assumption but he also realizes that landing a guard capable of playing the 1 and backing up Battle could be helpful. We'd have 4 guards to mix and match. If Thorpe can't figure out the zone, maybe Howard Washington will. If FH gives JB some 'tude, he can grab some bench, as Hawk Harrelson says.

Perhaps JB isn't gung-ho about another 5th year. I think that a fair assumption but he also realizes that landing a guard capable of playing the 1 and backing up Battle could be helpful. We'd have 4 guards to mix and match. If Thorpe can't figure out the zone, maybe Howard Washington will. If FH gives JB some 'tude, he can grab some bench, as Hawk Harrelson says.

I don't want Thorpe, but we need somebody.

Howard is Howard and nobody knows what we're going to get.

Washington needs time. We force fed Joseph who was very much ahead of where Washington is and that didn't fare too well.

This is extremely concerning stuff to me, if we have any chance of getting back on track soon it starts with this upcoming season.

I don't want Thorpe, but we need somebody.

Howard is Howard and nobody knows what we're going to get.

Washington needs time. We force fed Joseph who was very much ahead of where Washington is and that didn't fare too well.

This is extremely concerning stuff to me, if we have any chance of getting back on track soon it starts with this upcoming season.

Washington knows how to play point guard. Kaleb didn't coming in here. Big difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom