Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Thorpe - COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

This would be a huge way to end this roster. I think he fits in perfectly. Really hoping we can land him, because he can back up both guard positions.

PG: Howard (Washington)
SG: Battle (Thorpe)
SF: Brissett (Slovakia)
PF: Moyer (Sidibe)
C: Thompson (Chukwu)

I expect Battle to play about 38 mpg. Thompson will be next in line in terms of playing time, but this could likely be dictated by foul trouble. I only see a few minutes max for Chukwu assuming TT has shown any sort of defensive positioning improvement, and pretty much none for Washington if we get Thorpe.

Hate that frontcourt. Not a lot of offensive compatibility / versatility. Shades of the ineffectual Roberson / Lydon pairing last year.

Hate that frontcourt. Not a lot of offensive compatibility / versatility. Shades of the ineffectual Roberson / Lydon pairing last year.
agree in principle - but if one (or more) of Brissett/Dolezaj/MM can emerge/exceed expectations it will be a solid frontcourt, esp with the depth

I think people are really sleeping on Moyer's game. Plus, we are focused on recruiting so it makes sense.

He's not being talked about much. Well, only when he's recruiting others.

It seems, to me, that many think he has minimal offensive capabilities outside of some ability down low. But, it looks like he has worked hard, and knowing him, he has. I think he will surprise with his ability to shoot, and score.

[/QUOTE]

I know, imagine we didn't get marek tho? I know he might not contribute much but it's so critical to have a versatile 3 on offense. Our best teams had this. Carmelo, Johnson, Joseph, Southerland.

I think people are really sleeping on Moyer's game. Plus, we are focused on recruiting so it makes sense.

It seems, to me, that many think he has minimal offensive capabilities outside of some ability down low. But, it looks like he has worked hard, and knowing him, he has. I think he will surprise with his ability to shoot, and score.

I'm not sleeping on his game, at all. I think that there is a very good chance that Moyer is the opening day starter at PF, and that he'll have a very good career on the hill.

Instead, my observation was about how similar offensively Moyer / Brissett seem to be at this stage of their respective developmental curves. We saw what happened last year when we started a player [Lydon] who was poorly suited for the SF role offensively. And he was a guy who at least was a knockdown shooter, which is more than you can say for either Moyer or Brissett.

It doesn't matter much if at all defensively in our system, but on the other side of the ball not having at least one of the forwards have the requisite versatility our system requires is a hindrance. I look at a forward tandem of Moyer / Brissett as guys who can potentially hit mid range shots, but that's no sure thing. And they'd be on top of each other in the block, because that's where they are most effective RIGHT NOW, which would have a detrimental effect on floor spacing and offensive balance. Just like things bogged down with a frontcourt of Coleman, Lydon, and Roberson playing together.

Future's bright for both of those players--it just might not fully actualize this season. And I fully acknowledge that Brissett might round into form later in his career as a SF. But right now? Probably a stretch based upon what I've seen.

Have we ever had a more inexperienced roster? Holy hell

2008 maybe? Team leaders in minutes were

Paul Harris-Soph
Donte Greene- Fr
Jonny Flynn- Fr
Arinze- Soph
Scoop- Fr
Rick Jackson- Fr
KO- JR, first year in the program

Devendorf tore his ACL like 10 games into that season

KP has an "experience" metric, basically weighted by minutes played. We were 339th in the country out of 341

Paul Harris-Soph
Donte Greene- Fr
Jonny Flynn- Fr
Arinze- Soph
Scoop- Fr
Rick Jackson- Fr

KP has an "experience" metric, basically weighted by minutes played. We were 339th in the country out of 341

Once Devendorf went down you are right. I can't imagine having a less experienced team than that as far as minutes played. Remember AO had barely played as a freshman and then redshirted.

I'm not sleeping on his game, at all. I think that there is a very good chance that Moyer is the opening day starter at PF, and that he'll have a very good career on the hill.

Instead, my observation was about how similar offensively Moyer / Brissett seem to be at this stage of their respective developmental curves. We saw what happened last year when we started a player [Lydon] who was poorly suited for the SF role offensively. And he was a guy who at least was a knockdown shooter, which is more than you can say for either Moyer or Brissett.

It doesn't matter much if at all defensively in our system, but on the other side of the ball not having at least one of the forwards have the requisite versatility our system requires is a hindrance. I look at a forward tandem of Moyer / Brissett as guys who can potentially hit mid range shots, but that's no sure thing. And they'd be on top of each other in the block, because that's where they are most effective RIGHT NOW, which would have a detrimental effect on floor spacing and offensive balance. Just like things bogged down with a frontcourt of Coleman, Lydon, and Roberson playing together.

Future's bright for both of those players--it just might not fully actualize this season. And I fully acknowledge that Brissett might round into form later in his career as a SF. But right now? Probably a stretch based upon what I've seen.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. I wasn't singling you out. Just that the board doesn't have much chatter about MM. I believe he can shoot well enough where he may end up being able to play the 3 on offense. Defensively, like you said, no difference really. OB, and MM aren't gonna be as bad of shooters as Roberson was, I believe. Spreading the floor will be our main issue, for sure.

OB/MD/MM will end up being a solid frontcourt, in my opinion, once JB figures out the right rotation. I don't see TT or Sidibe playing much at the 4. TT some, but don't see it with Sidibe. I could be wrong. I was in the camp with you last year that White wouldn't see a minute at the 2, so was wrong technically on that.

Anyway, there are lot of questions marks, but a lot of young talent. Adding Marek was huge. Hopefully, we can figure things out quicker than last year, and not drop games early that we should win.

I'm gunna go out on a limb and say everyone on the team minus chewbacca will be better shooters then Roberson was.

Hahah...yeah I really made a bold prediction on that one.

Anyway, back to Geno. It looks like he doesn't even have a Twitter. He seems like an intelligent, hard working, and mature young adult. Dying for some news on him, but at least we can basically read through the tea leaves.

Great 3 point, and FT shooter. Who can play both guard spots. Has played zone. Experience against solid competition. I'll defer to the staff per the usual. I'm curious how obnoxious it is that I keep repeating myself how much I want him on the team. Really think he is a stud.

This would be a huge way to end this roster. I think he fits in perfectly. Really hoping we can land him, because he can back up both guard positions.

PG: Howard (Washington)
SG: Battle (Thorpe)
SF: Brissett (Slovakia)
PF: Moyer (Sidibe)
C: Thompson (Chukwu)

I expect Battle to play about 38 mpg. Thompson will be next in line in terms of playing time, but this could likely be dictated by foul trouble. I only see a few minutes max for Chukwu assuming TT has shown any sort of defensive positioning improvement, and pretty much none for Washington if we get Thorpe.
Gosh, i hope Chukwu and Sidibe are going to be better than Thompson at C.
Ideally:
PG Headache 2 / Washington
SG The Junior Mamba / Thorpe
SF Brissett on Rye / Dolemite
PF Thompson / Don't Sleep
C Chukwu / Sidibe

Moyer has a big heart and determination and that will get you far

Moyer has a big heart and determination and that will get you far

Absolutely. Also, with the work out videos posted he looks great. He is working on his handle immensely, and it looks decent. The biggest thing though is that his jumper looks good. His form looks very solid. He can shoot the ball. I'm excited about his game.

Now, let's get Geno, and start talking 2018 recruits while enjoying this season that may surprise. Love the pieces we have. Young, yes. That's CBB these days, and players develop earlier.

The past FF showed us that you do need some experience though, of course.

That's why I want Thorpe over anyone out there. Marek has been playing with grown men, so not the typical freshman. Matt has had a year learning the system, working hard, and improving. Battle, and TT have a lot of experience for Sophomores. Throw in the talented freshmen. Frank, and PC are question marks, but nowhere but up for them. Just need Thorpe, then we are a Tourney team, in my opinion. Also, not a bubble Tourney team. I'm just an armchair QB, though.

Absolutely. Also, with the work out videos posted he looks great. He is working on his handle immensely, and it looks decent. The biggest thing though is that his jumper looks good. His form looks very solid. He can shoot the ball. I'm excited about his game.

Now, let's get Geno, and start talking 2018 recruits while enjoying this season that may surprise. Love the pieces we have. Young, yes. That's CBB these days, and players develop earlier.

The past FF showed us that you do need some experience though, of course.

That's why I want Thorpe over anyone out there. Marek has been playing with grown men, so not the typical freshman. Matt has had a year learning the system, working hard, and improving. Battle, and TT have a lot of experience for Sophomores. Throw in the talented freshmen. Frank, and PC are question marks, but nowhere but up for them. Just need Thorpe, then we are a Tourney team, in my opinion. Also, not a bubble Tourney team. I'm just an armchair QB, though.

Good post.

Paul Harris-Soph
Donte Greene- Fr
Jonny Flynn- Fr
Arinze- Soph
Scoop- Fr
Rick Jackson- Fr

Inexperienced but Harris, Flynn and Green were all very very good players if not great. I'd bet that team would beat this one 9 out of 10 times.

Inexperienced but Harris, Flynn and Green were all very very good players if not great. I'd bet that team would beat this one 9 out of 10 times.
Totally; looking back at that roster, it's like a SU All-Star team...

Too bad they were allergic to defense.

This roster may not be allergic to defense but it's a bunch of new guys with probably our worst defender ever in TT and FH who isn't exactly MCW out there.

It's probably more likely our defense is closer to last years level than at an average level.

Paul Harris-Soph
Donte Greene- Fr
Jonny Flynn- Fr
Arinze- Soph
Scoop- Fr
Rick Jackson- Fr

Pretty similar in experience to 2003 team

I'm ready to submit the winning iggy as soon as he commits.

Any news of a visit for Thorpe? Time to lock him up and get him down to cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom