Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Kadary, great to have you as an official member of the Orange Basketball family!

cusehoopsrocksthedome.gif

some more highlights of the Brewster boys. Kadary is nice!

Okay... Well, now my expectations are tempered.
When he has the ball, he's magic. Like Pearl, he does whatever the hell he wants, and gets where ever the hell he wants on the court. And converts.
But, when he doesn't have the ball, he's invisible, uninvolved, lackadaisical. His defense is worse than a rumor. Someone's going to have to attach a motor to this kid, because he's got a metric $h1t ton of offensive talent, but he might be in the dog house for d and rebounding failures more often than not. Taurean 2.0.

That said, yeah, it's hard to see everything that's going on in these types of videos where the lens is trained only on the immediate action. Still, you can clearly see him getting blown by on D, with a seemingly uncaring response. Same with rebounds being taken from his immediate position by smaller dudes.

Terrence Clarke, though... Kentucky got (another) good'un.

When he has the ball, he's magic. Like Pearl, he does whatever the hell he wants, and gets where ever the hell he wants on the court. And converts.
But, when he doesn't have the ball, he's invisible, uninvolved, lackadaisical. His defense is worse than a rumor. Someone's going to have to attach a motor to this kid, because he's got a metric $h1t ton of offensive talent, but he might be in the dog house for d and rebounding failures more often than not. Taurean 2.0.

That said, yeah, it's hard to see everything that's going on in these types of videos where the lens is trained only on the immediate action. Still, you can clearly see him getting blown by on D, with a seemingly uncaring response. Same with rebounds being taken from his immediate position by smaller dudes.
Brewster as a team definitely looks like they don't play much defense. It will be interesting to see how they play against some of the better teams and if that changes. Hard to tell from highlights but it definitely looks like hes disengaged at times.

Brewster as a team definitely looks like they don't play much defense. It will be interesting to see how they play against some of the better teams and if that changes. Hard to tell from highlights but it definitely looks like hes disengaged at times.

Terrence Clarke, though... Kentucky got (another) good'un.
I was thinking the same thing watching his highlights. Ultra talented offensively, but from the limited clips of him playing defense His effort is embarrassingly poor. The recruiting pundits have said his motor is what has kept him from being a five star guy. His Brewster coach echoed that, saying that “at times” he was the best player on the court. That is impressive considering he plays with Clarke, but goes to show he doesn’t always give 100%. Hopefully JB can coach that out of him, no way he’s playing over Girard or Buddy or even taking mins from them if he doesn’t get after it defensively. I was hoping he’d have some of that NYC dog in him...hopefully it will come in time cuz damn with his size and skill the sky is the limit.

I was thinking the same thing watching his highlights. Ultra talented offensively, but from the limited clips of him playing defense His effort is embarrassingly poor. The recruiting pundits have said his motor is what has kept him from being a five star guy. His Brewster coach echoed that, saying that “at times” he was the best player on the court. That is impressive considering he plays with Clarke, but goes to show he doesn’t always give 100%. Hopefully JB can coach that out of him, no way he’s playing over Girard or Buddy or even taking mins from them if he doesn’t get after it defensively. I was hoping he’d have some of that NYC dog in him...hopefully it will come in time cuz damn with his size and skill the sky is the limit.
Because he can beat his man off the dribble going left or right whenever he wants (in those clips that have been posted anyway), Kadary is the "perfect" lead guard to play with Buddy and Girard. His lack of effort on D is blatantly obvious. That's gotta change if he is going to get time at the next level.

Girard was similar in HS/AAU - but he had to do everything at the other end.

that has been a knock on several syracuse recruits over the years. a serious issue, since we've been assured that "you can't teach defense"
You can’t teach defense?
No

seriously, though, this is a place where the zone helps us. so many recruits, especially guards, who came to syracuse with questions about their ability to guard at the high d1 level (rautins, waiters, cooney) have excelled or at least been competent in the zone, not because it hides them but because it maximizes what they can do well. girard is probably the next in this line

The biggest factor in being a good defender is athletic ability. Defensive principles can be taught, but length, lateral quickness, and jumping ability cannot be taught. This is why the combine numbers matter.

The second biggest factor is will to do so. Being a good defender is about desire provided one has the athletic ability required.

I'm sure unless he plans on not seeing much any time on the court he will play D when he gets here. He's got the tools.

I'll echo what everyone has said about his seeming defensive liabilities- it was the first thing I noticed as well.
If he wants PT, he'll have to play defense. Period. I'm sure that will be made very clear to him when he gets here.
Also, Terrence Clarke is a nice player, but I was really impressed by #15 on Brewster's roster. He looks like a well-built combo-guard type, like a Brandon Triche clone. #2 and the big white kid, #14, weren't bad either.

Last edited:
Personally it looks like just about everyone on that Brewster team mails it in on D. They have so much talent on offense they can score whenever they want. Kadary included unfortunately but we have seen a few guys with weak defensive tape come in and still get after it.

I remember Ennis' highlights showed some bad Defensive habits that were a concern before he got here.

Fortunately, Woody fancies himself the “best defender in the country”, so at a minimum, we know that one of the new guys prides himself on his effort at that end.

Kadary has got the tools to be a plus defender.

But thankfully, unlike back when TT got minutes in spite of being possibly the worst matador in Cuse history, due to lack of other warm bodies -
we’ve got plenty of other wings, and riding the pine next to JB can be a great motivator to apply oneself on D.

I'll echo what everyone has said about his seeming defensive liabilities- it was the first thing I noticed as well.
If he wants PT, he'll have to play defense. Period. I'm sure that will be made very clear to him when he gets here.
Also, Terrence Clarke is a nice player, but I was really impressed by #15 on Brewster's roster. He looks like a well-built combo-guard type, like a Brandon Triche clone. #2 and the big white kid, #14, weren't bad either.

Brewster has 8 Division 1 players.

No. 2, Javohn Garcia, is PG and will attend UMass.

No. 14, Matt Cross, is a 6-7 forward bound for Miami.

No. 15, DeMarr Langford, is a 6-5 G going to BC.

Kadary's out of the game already. After just appearing 'winded.' I wonder if the 'issues' about his lack of a motor might be related to the same kind of weird/undiagnosed medical problem i've had since childhood. Inability to develop endurance. Might account for him only showing his significant skills in bursts, and looking 'uninvolved' otherwise.