Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Buddy and JG will benefit big time if Kadary can transfer what he is showing on tape at the prep level to his play at the ACC level.
My emotions as I read this sentence:

4E70A5FB-CBE5-4782-A435-312EDDABAC34.gif

Last edited:
A stronger MCW is a better comp, better handle, better finisher with his off hand.

Not as fast as MCW, probably not as good as a defender.

Well, given that Kadary seems to be more of the Taurean Thompson school of defense, saying “probably not as good a defender as MCW” is likely a huge understatement.

Well, given that Kadary seems to be more of the Taurean Thompson school of defense, saying “probably not as good a defender as MCW” is likely a huge understatement.
Kadary's defense is not bad in the half court he needs to run harder in transition, something I'm sure he will figure out quickly or he will find the bench quickly

A stronger MCW is a better comp, better handle, better finisher with his off hand.

I don't think the intent was to compare him to specific player. It was just a comment about his ability to get to the basket.

I coached HS basketball for a very long time, and I've been following it even longer. I will be very surprised if Kadary is not a major contributor during his career at SU. His court vision and ability to get to the basket and finish with either hand is elite, IMO. That skill set is something we do not have. I predict it will be obvious very quickly when he is on the floor. Buddy and JG will benefit big time if Kadary can transfer what he is showing on tape at the prep level to his play at the ACC level.
Please don't use Kadary and transfer in the same sentence. ;)

Kadary is our only guard on the bench and can probably play the 3 as well. He also signed his NLI. Shocked if he’d leave

Kadary is our only guard on the bench and can probably play the 3 as well. He also signed his NLI. Shocked if he’d leave
He also committed before even visiting campus

Please don't use Kadary and transfer in the same sentence. ;)
Meh, no big loss, if he was any good he would have forced his way into the rotation. Now, Benny Williams, that guy is a player - he's all we need. Syracuse basketball moves on.

I agree. I think the gold standard for penetrating in the half court in the modern Syracuse era belongs to Flynn.

It would be hard to anyone to be better at penetrating than Jonny was but I think Kadary has a chance. His height and length give him advantages Flynn never had. I don’t want to overhype incoming frosh and for kcsu I will again note that I am not saying Richmond is going to be better than Pearl or Flynn.

I am just saying I think he has a chance to be better at penetrating in the half court offense than any SU player I have ever seen. He does some really impressive things in his highlights, and I think it is worth noting he is doing it against high quality opposition.
I always thought Flynn was our best PG since Pearl and Sherm. But watching that 6OT game again yesterday really hit home how elite he was as a ball handler and at getting to the rim. Dion, Devo, MCW, Scoop, Gbinije were all good to very good as well. Very happy to hear that Richmond has potentially high-ceiling as a dribble penetrator. That skill would greatly compliment Buddy and Joe’s shooting prowess in the backcourt. Joe also improved as a penetrator during the course of his freshman year. I was very pleased with his development in that area, though he has a long way to go still.

Dior looks like he could be as good as Flynn. Fingers crossed he makes it here!

Last edited:

I think the MCW comparison is a pretty close one including having two established guards ahead of him and as such I think we can expect similar production to MCW's freshman year. Just don't see him blowing up next year.

Good thing Boeheim doesn’t care about defense anymore as long as you can space the floor.

I think the MCW comparison is a pretty close one including having two established guards ahead of him and as such I think we can expect similar production to MCW's freshman year. Just don't see him blowing up next year.
MCW had 3 guards ahead of him his freshmen year. Scoop, Dion and Tiche all of which would start over our guards this year.

Good thing Boeheim doesn’t care about defense anymore as long as you can space the floor.

Oh how I long for the days of 45 point rock fights because our guards could play defense but not score.

Frankly, if we had an inside presence (that avoided foul trouble and played most of the game) this team might have won 25 games with our defensively challenged guards. I'll take offense all day long.

Last edited:
MCW had 3 guards ahead of him his freshmen year. Scoop, Dion and Tiche all of which would start over our guards this year.
Can’t compare upperclassmen with JG3 and BB. Both of those guys will be stellar in the next few years. They were pretty damn good this year - great at times - but inconsistent as nearly all undresclassmen are.

Can’t compare upperclassmen with JG3 and BB. Both of those guys will be stellar in the next few years. They were pretty damn good this year - great at times - but inconsistent as nearly all undresclassmen are.
And a step above worthless defensively at times!

But I know what you mean...I think they both have the chance to be very good! More so JG than Buddy!

Buddy will be Junior, JG3 will be sophomore when Kadary arrives on campus.

Right now we don't have a 4th guard which we need even if it is only in case of injury.

I coached HS basketball for a very long time, and I've been following it even longer. I will be very surprised if Kadary is not a major contributor during his career at SU. His court vision and ability to get to the basket and finish with either hand is elite, IMO. That skill set is something we do not have. I predict it will be obvious very quickly when he is on the floor. Buddy and JG will benefit big time if Kadary can transfer what he is showing on tape at the prep level to his play at the ACC level.

To be clear, I do not think Kadary will be a starter out of the gate (I do think that will come at some point during the season). I do not think he will be a 1 and done player. I do think he is going to make a difference beginning with his freshman season.

Great post, 007. Although I was a bit worried about the translatibility of his skill set, I was pretty bummed about losing out on Andre Jackson. Even though he couldn't shoot -- at all -- kid was an elite athlete, and it always sucks to see a kid we are after go to uconn.

When Kadary Richmond's name started coming up the same day, I figured it was a pretty good "settle." That he probably had some potential, at least had the right size for the zone, and would hopefully be a guy with more upside than say, Louie McCroskey.

Then I started watching clips of him play and got intrigued. We always seem to recruit these big guards, and then try to convert them to PG -- often with mixed success. This kid had a dynamite handle. Not just against HS competition -- a big time handle, and he knew what to do with the ball. And he seemed like he could really pass the ball, not just get his own shots.

But I wanted to see more than just highlight clips, so I watched two games. Make no mistake -- this is a kid who coasts defensively, and expends 90% of his effort on the offensive side of the ball -- that's going to need to change. But he has some serious talent, and major upside.

I think that people get too hung up on positions. Point, shooting guard -- whatever. But I could see a kid like this pairing with someone like Girard, and really help Girard's overall effectiveness by alleviating some of the ball handling / play making responsibilities. ESPECIALLY against aggressive defensive teams that try to pressure the ball. That would free Girard up to play a bit off the ball, where he is most dangerous, IMO.

Richmond is not going to be gangbusters right away -- people need to temper expectations a bit. But there is no doubt in my mind that he can be an ACC caliber starter eventually, and that we got the better player between him and Andre Jackson.

Buddy will be Junior, JG3 will be sophomore when Kadary arrives on campus.

Right now we don't have a 4th guard which we need even if it is only in case of injury.
Need 4 just to practice.

Great post, 007. Although I was a bit worried about the translatibility of his skill set, I was pretty bummed about losing out on Andre Jackson. Even though he couldn't shoot -- at all -- kid was an elite athlete, and it always sucks to see a kid we are after go to uconn.

When Kadary Richmond's name started coming up the same day, I figured it was a pretty good "settle." That he probably had some potential, at least had the right size for the zone, and would hopefully be a guy with more upside than say, Louie McCroskey.

Then I started watching clips of him play and got intrigued. We always seem to recruit these big guards, and then try to convert them to PG -- often with mixed success. This kid had a dynamite handle. Not just against HS competition -- a big time handle, and he knew what to do with the ball. And he seemed like he could really pass the ball, not just get his own shots.

But I wanted to see more than just highlight clips, so I watched two games. Make no mistake -- this is a kid who coasts defensively, and expends 90% of his effort on the offensive side of the ball -- that's going to need to change. But he has some serious talent, and major upside.

I think that people get too hung up on positions. Point, shooting guard -- whatever. But I could see a kid like this pairing with someone like Girard, and really help Girard's overall effectiveness by alleviating some of the ball handling / play making responsibilities. ESPECIALLY against aggressive defensive teams that try to pressure the ball. That would free Girard up to play a bit off the ball, where he is most dangerous, IMO.

Richmond is not going to be gangbusters right away -- people need to temper expectations a bit. But there is no doubt in my mind that he can be an ACC caliber starter eventually, and that we got the better player between him and Andre Jackson.
His lack of interest on defense sounds a lot like Girard last year, except Joe averaged 50 points a game.

But there is no doubt in my mind that he can be an ACC caliber starter eventually, and that we got the better player between him and Andre Jackson.

I absolutely think we got the better player here, and particularly in regards to what the roster needs. If Kadary can translate his sick handle and penetrating ability to the ACC, spacing would be light years better, and a backcourt of him and Girard would be tons of fun to watch on offense.