Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

That left hand dribble is almost “Pearl-like”.
And NO, before someone has a conniption, I’m not saying some unproven HS kid is the great Pearl Washington, who had the best left-hand dribble I’ve ever seen.
Just saying Kadary’s looks like a very good one & it clearly helps in his ability to penetrate and attack the hoop.
I hope the kid gets enough PT next year, & has a chance to develop & showcase his skillls in real time on the floor.
At this point I’m so down on JB and his thin bench philosophy, that I pretty much have to see it to believe it. JMHO

And NO, before someone has a conniption, I’m not saying some unproven HS kid is the great Pearl Washington, who had the best left-hand dribble I’ve ever seen.
Just saying Kadary’s looks like a very good one & it clearly helps in his ability to penetrate and attack the hoop.
I hope the kid gets enough PT next year, & has a chance to develop & showcase his skillls in real time on the floor.
At this point I’m so down on JB and his thin bench philosophy, that I pretty much have to see it to believe it. JMHO

Last edited:
At this poI’m so down on JB and his thin bench philosophy, that I pretty much have to see it to believe it. JMHO

The talent is no doubt there especially that handle. One thing I like even more is that in terms of demeanor he reminds me of Ennis. He has a confidence about him such that no opponent is going to force him to do anything. He could be the kind of kid who controls the game when he has the ball in his hands. That is why the comparison one made to SGA from UK resonates so much. He could just control the game, flow and make plays.

Time will tell if he is that player at the collegiate level but for me that is what is most intriguing.

Kid is too nice
That is filthy.

I was pretty bummed out after we lost Andre Jackson -- not because I thought he was going to be a world beater [I was actually very concerned about his congenital inability to shoot], but because we lost him to uconn.

Then, this kid materialized like, the next day. And when I watched his film, it was clear that we'd backed into landing the far superior prospect / player of the two.

I was pretty bummed out after we lost Andre Jackson -- not because I thought he was going to be a world beater [I was actually very concerned about his congenital inability to shoot], but because we lost him to uconn.

Then, this kid materialized like, the next day. And when I watched his film, it was clear that we'd backed into landing the far superior prospect / player of the two.
It’ll be interesting to watch these 2 over the next few years. Jackson made several public comments about playing time and wanting it and not transferring to get it. When he committed to UConn we had Eli entrenched at the 3 and Hurley offered Jackson the chance to start. A year later Eli is gone and Hurley is recruiting several wings/big guards and James Bouknight looks like a stud and Hurley brought in a former URI player in Martin (who has a similar skill set to Jackson). It’ll be interesting if Jackson is happy at his role at UConn.

Was watching some full games of Woody Newton's today and that included the game against Kadary and Brewster Academy (link here: ).
It's the only full game of Kadary I've seen so far but if I tracked his stats correctly, he finished with:

9 points
5 assists
2 rebounds
0 blocks
1 steal
2 turnovers
0 fouls

3/6 from inside the arc (3/5 at the rim, 0/1 from mid-range)
0/1 3 point shooting
3/4 free throw shooting

Some notes from the game:
  • Brewster has the 6'0" Jamal Mashburn Jr., but Kadary operates as the point guard. Having said that, he's not a ball-dominant creator; pretty much everybody on that team splits the role. Kadary just happens to be the guy dribbling the ball up the court before they get into the offense.
  • The glass-half-full people will say Kadary operates at his own pace, ala Tyler Ennis. The glass-half-empty people will say he's slow and methodical to a fault. At any rate, really impressive ball-handler for someone his size. In particular he has a killer double cross; he'll kinda hang the initial crossover out there for a second before crossing back and exploding by his man.
  • In addition, he displays some really nice passing vision. His ball-handling and passing ability might be enough to play PG at Syracuse, which would be ideal because...
  • His jumpshot looks rough. He only took two of them in this game, but it's not pretty and neither of them really had a chance of going in. Obviously a very small sample size, but the commentators also noted that even at the college level, he might be considered a non-shooter, in which case it would be ideal for him to be the PG so that the other guys can provide spacing off of him/so that he's not just sitting in the corner letting his man sag off and cheat the passing lanes.
  • On top of being 6'6", he's just a big dude. If he gets a full head of steam and rises up at the rim, he pretty much just moves people out of the way like they aren't even there. Not sure how much he weighs, but seems like from the moment he steps foot on campus, he and Guerrier will be our physically strongest players.
  • Defensively, he might have a problem keeping quicker guards in front of him, but he seems pretty good. Certainly an upgrade over our current guards in that regard. Additionally, he seems to have great hand-eye coordination with the ability to pick pockets that we seemingly haven't had at the top of the zone in awhile.
  • However, like Newton (and most high schoolers) he tends to get lazy when he's off-ball and rarely shows effort to rebound.
All in all, I think he has a much clearer case for playing time as a freshman than Newton does. Some rough edges to be smoothed out for sure, and some improvement as a shooter would be greatly appreciated, but he seems relatively ready to play from Day 1 and having watched a full game of his, I'm not as nervous about the PG position as I thought I would be. I'm what I would call a cautiously optimistic fan, but if he can become even a below-average shooter, I think we might have something here.

BTW he was fouled on the reach in
I like the fact that he finishes with either hand, and always the outside hand, at the rim. Good fundamentals there. I think his form and shot improve at SU. Just send him to Buddy's house to work with that guy.

Was watching some full games of Woody Newton's today and that included the game against Kadary and Brewster Academy (link here: ).
It's the only full game of Kadary I've seen so far but if I tracked his stats correctly, he finished with:

9 points
5 assists
2 rebounds
0 blocks
1 steal
2 turnovers
0 fouls

0/1 3 point shooting
3/4 free throw shooting

• Brewster has the 6'0" Jamal Mashburn Jr., but Kadary operates as the point guard. Having said that, he's not a ball-dominant creator; pretty much everybody on that team splits the role. Kadary just happens to be the guy dribbling the ball up the court before they get into the offense.
  • The glass-half-full people will say Kadary operates at his own pace, ala Tyler Ennis. The glass-half-empty people will say he's slow and methodical to a fault. At any rate, really impressive ball-handler for someone his size. In particular he has a killer double cross; he'll kinda hang the initial crossover out there for a second before crossing back and exploding by his man.
  • In addition, he displays some really nice passing vision. His ball-handling and passing ability might be enough to play PG at Syracuse, which would be ideal because...
  • His jumpshot looks rough. He only took two of them in this game, but it's not pretty and neither of them really had a chance of going in. Obviously a very small sample size, but the commentators also noted that even at the college level, he might be considered a non-shooter, in which case it would be ideal for him to be the PG so that the other guys can provide spacing off of him/so that he's not just sitting in the corner letting his man sag off and cheat the passing lanes.
  • On top of being 6'6", he's just a big dude. If he gets a full head of steam and rises up at the rim, he pretty much just moves people out of the way like they aren't even there. Not sure how much he weighs, but seems like from the moment he steps foot on campus, he and Guerrier will be our physically strongest players.
  • Defensively, he might have a problem keeping quicker guards in front of him, but he seems pretty good. Certainly an upgrade over our current guards in that regard. Additionally, he seems to have great hand-eye coordination with the ability to pick pockets that we seemingly haven't had at the top of the zone in awhile.
  • However, like Newton (and most high schoolers) he tends to get lazy when he's off-ball and rarely shows effort to rebound.
All in all, I think he has a much clearer case for playing time as a freshman than Newton does. Some rough edges to be smoothed out for sure, and some improvement as a shooter would be greatly appreciated, but he seems relatively ready to play from Day 1 and having watched a full game of his, I'm not as nervous about the PG position as I thought I would be. I'm what I would call a cautiously optimistic fan, but if he can become even a below-average shooter, I think we might have something here.
Good observations, thanks for the write up Melancer46

I think it will be obvious when Kadary final plays at this level that his skill set is something we have not had in awhile. To my eye, there is no doubt will be play PG here. I also think that his game will translate much better at the college level than it does at Brewster.

9 points
5 assists
2 rebounds
0 blocks
1 steal
2 turnovers
0 fouls

0/1 3 point shooting
3/4 free throw shooting

In the game I watched of Kadary, his shot definitely was ugly but he made a few of them. I'm not sure he is a "Non Shooter" but even MCW hit his fair share while at SU and we know how poor of a shooter he is.

As for the Ennis/being too deliberate I don't think those things are mutually exclusive. That was a frustration with Tyler at times and could be with Kadary too. I don't think he would fit well with a bunch of non shooters around him. That said with the shooters we have he can do his thing. His physicality is impressive for sure. He is an interesting prospect. How well he can assert himself and produce as a freshman will be a fascinating watch.

In the game I watched of Kadary, his shot definitely was ugly but he made a few of them. I'm not sure he is a "Non Shooter" but even MCW hit his fair share while at SU and we know how poor of a shooter he is.

As for the Ennis/being too deliberate I don't think those things are mutually exclusive. That was a frustration with Tyler at times and could be with Kadary too. I don't think he would fit well with a bunch of non shooters around him. That said with the shooters we have he can do his thing. His physicality is impressive for sure. He is an interesting prospect. How well he can assert himself and produce as a freshman will be a fascinating watch.
Watch the national semi final game. The game vs Mt Zion was in November I also posted a game from December, but the national semi final was a month ago and the growth from then to now is quite noticeable.

This and his ball-handling for his size were easily the two aspects that stood out the most to me. We've had big burly guys like Brissett in recent years where you'd look at them and think they should be good finishers and then you see them contort their bodies as they absorb contact and miss the rim entirely. Richmond seems so unaffected by contact, at least going against high schoolers. He could theoretically be a bitch to cover while surrounded by shooters like Girard, Boeheim, Griffin, and (hopefully if the few games I've seen are an accurate representation) Newton.

9 points
5 assists
2 rebounds
0 blocks
1 steal
2 turnovers
0 fouls

0/1 3 point shooting
3/4 free throw shooting

In regards to his shooting, I wouldn't consider Kadary a non shooter at all. Keep in mind that the game you watched was played in early November so they were going off his reputation from last season. By that national prep championship in March (or whatever its called) he was hitting multiple 3's from NBA range every game and hitting mid range jumpers with deadly consistency.

In those games all 10 guys on the court (and several off the bench) were high major D1 players, and Richmond was the best player in every game he played.

He's a really intriguing prospect. He is incredibly quick in short one or two step bursts, but incredibly slow sprinting up and down the court (kind of like Billy Edelin, but he's a much better athlete than Edelin overall).

I'm not sure what to think of him. Part of me thinks he's not going to be able to handle the speed of the college game for a while and won't play much, but the other part of me thinks he might be the best player on our team next year. I honestly can't wait to see him suit up for Syracuse, and see what he becomes.

In regards to his shooting, I wouldn't consider Kadary a non shooter at all. Keep in mind that the game you watched was played in early November so they were going off his reputation from last season. By that national prep championship in March (or whatever its called) he was hitting multiple 3's from NBA range every game and hitting mid range jumpers with deadly consistency.

In those games all 10 guys on the court (and several off the bench) were high major D1 players, and Richmond was the best player in every game he played.

He's a really intriguing prospect. He is incredibly quick in short one or two step bursts, but incredibly slow sprinting up and down the court (kind of like Billy Edelin, but he's a much better athlete than Edelin overall).

I'm not sure what to think of him. Part of me thinks he's not going to be able to handle the speed of the college game for a while and won't play much, but the other part of me thinks he might be the best player on our team next year. I honestly can't wait to see him suit up for Syracuse, and see what he becomes.

Yeah, I have three more games in my queue to watch of his. One from December, one from February, and the semi-final game from March. I'll obviously be keeping a close eye on the shooting, but even then, it'll only be 4 games of data to form opinions on. I think it'll likely be enough to have a good idea of his other skills/approach to the game and hopefully have a better look at his shooting even if the %'s need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Are you suggesting that he is slower than either of our guards that started last year?

Sounds like another Jalen Carey, athletic kid who can't shoot. Ball handling and defense will probably get him ample minutes. For those that things he will replace Girard as a starting 2 guard, that just doesn't make sense. Need guys that can make shots and space the floor.

Are you suggesting that he is slower than either of our guards that started last year?

Yeah slower than both by quite a big margin. I wouldn't consider Girard slow at all. When he had the ball he was always pushing it up the court, and getting us into transition. I dont think either guard had trouble getting back on D.

With Kadary it will be like it was with Edelin or Ennis. There's not going to be any transition, no pushing the ball up the court fast. He's going to be slow and methodical. But just like both of those guys he has the potential to be elite in the half court (which is more important). As long as he can get back on D I think he will play. He should be good in the zone, a good reliable ball handler, an excellent passer, excellent finishing around the rim, and yes, I think he will be able to shoot too. The real question is if he can get from end to end to fast enough to keep up with the college game (which is a problem lots of freshman have to deal with).

Yeah slower than both by quite a big margin. I wouldn't consider Girard slow at all. When he had the ball he was always pushing it up the court, and getting us into transition. I dont think either guard had trouble getting back on D.

With Kadary it will be like it was with Edelin or Ennis. There's not going to be any transition, no pushing the ball up the court fast. He's going to be slow and methodical. But just like both of those guys he has the potential to be elite in the half court (which is more important). As long as he can get back on D I think he will play. He should be good in the zone, a good reliable ball handler, an excellent passer, excellent finishing around the rim, and yes, I think he will be able to shoot too. The real question is if he can get from end to end to fast enough to keep up with the college game (which is a problem lots of freshman have to deal with).
There is difference between being slow and not running hard, which he needs to fix especially in transition defense.

On offense if you look at AAU/Street ball stuff you can see how well he plays in transition offense, of course there is no defense played in those games.

I like the Ennis comparison but with the is the size of MCW

Reactions: 007