Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Ok, my take on Newton and Richmond from the National Prep Showcase in Haven.

This is first-hand, not hearsay, if you catch my humor.

Newton and Richmond can play. But most of us knew that from highlights and other game clips.

Newton is the star of Mt. Zion Prep. I had him with 18 points, a few rebounds, one assist. Don’t hold me to that. He had three 3s, and, yes, he’s got a nice form. But he also has a nice handle and can drive to the basket. He had a nice drive and a twisting layup one time. He can score in a variety of ways. He can be a star at SU. Maybe not right away but eventually.

His drawbacks? He’s slender, from head to toe. And he doesn’t like to bang. So he’s a skilled small forward, someone who excels on the perimeter and in transition. Where fits in next year is uncertain based on who returns. But I like his potential.

Richmond looks the part. He’d be our best ballhandler, penetrator and passer right now. He’s the primatly ballhandler for Brewster, and that’s pretty good considering his backcourt mates are Terrance Clarke (Kentucky bound and ultra talented) and Jamal Mashburn Jr. (a smallish guard with a nice jumper who will attend Minnesota). Richmond isn’t a great shooter, but he can make shots. What he’s good at is penetrating and assisting others. He’s electric in the open court. I had him for 9 points, a few rebounds and several assists. But check Donna Ditota’s story. She was there.

One cool moment. In the second half, Newton was bringing the ball up court. Richmond met him just past mid court. They were on island together. Now, Newton is pretty good ballhandler for his size. But Richmond stole the ball , drove to the basket and was fouled by Newton. Richmond made one of two free throws.

In summary, it appears we have two quality recruits. I’ve seen a number of SU recruits play here over the years, from Kaleb Joseph to Chris McCullough to Tyler Lydon. Some have been duds, left too early or exceeded expectations. I have high hopes for Newton and Richmond. Fingers crossed.

Newton and Richmond can play. But most of us knew that from highlights and other game clips.

Newton is the star of Mt. Zion Prep. I had him with 18 points, a few rebounds, one assist. Don’t hold me to that. He had three 3s, and, yes, he’s got a nice form. But he also has a nice handle and can drive to the basket. He had a nice drive and a twisting layup one time. He can score in a variety of ways. He can be a star at SU. Maybe not right away but eventually.

His drawbacks? He’s slender, from head to toe. And he doesn’t like to bang. So he’s a skilled small forward, someone who excels on the perimeter and in transition. Where fits in next year is uncertain based on who returns. But I like his potential.

Richmond looks the part. He’d be our best ballhandler, penetrator and passer right now. He’s the primatly ballhandler for Brewster, and that’s pretty good considering his backcourt mates are Terrance Clarke (Kentucky bound and ultra talented) and Jamal Mashburn Jr. (a smallish guard with a nice jumper who will attend Minnesota). Richmond isn’t a great shooter, but he can make shots. What he’s good at is penetrating and assisting others. He’s electric in the open court. I had him for 9 points, a few rebounds and several assists. But check Donna Ditota’s story. She was there.

One cool moment. In the second half, Newton was bringing the ball up court. Richmond met him just past mid court. They were on island together. Now, Newton is pretty good ballhandler for his size. But Richmond stole the ball , drove to the basket and was fouled by Newton. Richmond made one of two free throws.

In summary, it appears we have two quality recruits. I’ve seen a number of SU recruits play here over the years, from Kaleb Joseph to Chris McCullough to Tyler Lydon. Some have been duds, left too early or exceeded expectations. I have high hopes for Newton and Richmond. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the report. Did you see them talk at all?

"He’d be our best ballhandler, penetrator and passer right now". That's all? (I kid, I kid). Great report Cuseguy -- thanks for taking the time to attend and report back to us on both of them. Sounds like we are going to have a lot of talent next year -- with an experienced backcourt by then it could shape up to be a very fun season.

Nice write-up. Thanks! Only one thing to add - according to the site that streamed the game, Woody had 25.

Wow. I’m not sure I missed that many, but okay.
Here's the brief write-up.

Brewster Academy (NH) 94, Mt. Zion Prep (MD) 86

The Bobcats got off to a fast start, building a 24-10 lead with 8:45 left in the first half.

Brewster Academy (NH) held a comfortable margin before Mt. Zion Prep made a late run by getting out in transition. But Terrence Clarke, a Kentucky commit, hit a 3 off an offensive rebound with 1:06 left to stretch his team’s lead to 85-74.

Clark led the Bobcats with 25 points and also added 8 rebounds. Jamal Mashburn Jr. (Minnesota commit) scored 22, DeMarr Langford Jr. added 10 and 8, and Matt Cross (Miami commit) chipped in 12 points.

David N’Guessen was impressive for Mt. Zion Prep in a losing effort, scoring 21 points on a variety of jump shots, duck-ins, transition baskets and putbacks. He also added 12 rebounds.

Syracuse commit Woody Newton added 25 points for Mt. Zion Prep.

1574472232276.gif

Woody had 25? I thought he had like 15.

I have a more 'negative' perception of our guys.
Kadary—he's like a Pro out there. But, a pro on Ambien. Just sorta sleepwalking, until something randomly inspires a burst of assertiveness. He looks like he can do whatever he wants, but he only chooses to do whatever he wants sporadically. So many skills with the ball. Just crazy how he's able to get his defender off balance and out of position. And he's a really good passer. But, most of the time, he was just content to aimlessly shuffle the ball around on the perimeter. He had his hands on his hips as action was going on directly next to him. Rebounds, defense... meh. Maybe. If it's convenient. Along with the ball skills, though, he can get sloppy or overly ambitious. But, i said the same about Joe Girard, and they'll both adjust.

Woody — He's very long. But, he is not a rebounder. He's a two-guard in a Damone Brown body. Very confident with his outside shot (exclusively threes, i think). Kinda like a Jerami Grant out there, but he's not going to play inside with any purpose like Grant could/would. He's got a nice handle for his length, and had a beautiful drive from the 3-pt line, all the way to the basket. Really, really nice. But, he also fumbled the ball away a few times, had it taken by Kadary once, and maybe by someone else once or twice. His jumper is low, but whatever. He doesn't shoot it when he's contested, so i don't care, as long as it's accurate.

What irks me, though, is that it seems like every time i see our recruits in a high school game, our guys are far from the most assertive, aggressive players on the floor. The Langford kid who's going to Boston College—he's going to be a player. Looks like Russell Wilson. Solid, strong kid who knows what for. He would have been an asset for us. Even the Junior Mashburn—solid player, nice shot. Both of those kids were always involved, always mixing it up. Same with Kentucky's Clarke. Playing hard every possession... Which leads me to an assumption i tend to make, about how our Zone program attracts a certain 'personality' and repels the 'other' personality. I'm sure that will not be a welcomed supposition, but maybe you can discuss it with some civility? Seems obvious, though, no?

So, whatever. Both these kids can be really, really good. I hope we have Woody for 3-4 years [see your doctor if it lasts for more than 4 hours]. Kadary, i don't know what to expect. I said up thread that he reminds me of Joe Dumars. I hope our staff will cultivate and motivate him, and i expect some of that discipline will come in the form of 'the stick' and less 'the carrot.' He's going to frustrate JB, but man alive, there are some rewards to be found. The announcers said multiple times that he's got all the talent in the world, but maybe doesn't know it. That they saw him on another team in back to back games and he had 30 one game and then 6 the next. "Inconsistent" and 'without a motor.' This is the time in his life when he's got to figure that out because he will be his own limiting factor.

Richmond scored nine points Friday night. He plays on a team with such bountiful talent he doesn’t need to score that much. (His teammates are headed to Minnesota, Kentucky, Maryland, Miami, Boston College, UMass and Valparaiso.) He took maybe one 3-point shot, missed it and was most effective on the offensive end when he drove the ball and finished. He is a big, strong guard with a tight handle and the ability to protect the ball.

Kadary—he's like a Pro out there. But, a pro on Ambien. Just sorta sleepwalking, until something randomly inspires a burst of assertiveness. He looks like he can do whatever he wants, but he only chooses to do whatever he wants sporadically. So many skills with the ball. Just crazy how he's able to get his defender off balance and out of position. And he's a really good passer. But, most of the time, he was just content to aimlessly shuffle the ball around on the perimeter. He had his hands on his hips as action was going on directly next to him. Rebounds, defense... meh. Maybe. If it's convenient. Along with the ball skills, though, he can get sloppy or overly ambitious. But, i said the same about Joe Girard, and they'll both adjust.

Woody — He's very long. But, he is not a rebounder. He's a two-guard in a Damone Brown body. Very confident with his outside shot (exclusively threes, i think). Kinda like a Jerami Grant out there, but he's not going to play inside with any purpose like Grant could/would. He's got a nice handle for his length, and had a beautiful drive from the 3-pt line, all the way to the basket. Really, really nice. But, he also fumbled the ball away a few times, had it taken by Kadary once, and maybe by someone else once or twice. His jumper is low, but whatever. He doesn't shoot it when he's contested, so i don't care, as long as it's accurate.

What irks me, though, is that it seems like every time i see our recruits in a high school game, our guys are far from the most assertive, aggressive players on the floor. The Langford kid who's going to Boston College—he's going to be a player. Looks like Russell Wilson. Solid, strong kid who knows what for. He would have been an asset for us. Even the Junior Mashburn—solid player, nice shot. Both of those kids were always involved, always mixing it up. Same with Kentucky's Clarke. Playing hard every possession... Which leads me to an assumption i tend to make, about how our Zone program attracts a certain 'personality' and repels the 'other' personality. I'm sure that will not be a welcomed supposition, but maybe you can discuss it with some civility? Seems obvious, though, no?

So, whatever. Both these kids can be really, really good. I hope we have Woody for 3-4 years [see your doctor if it lasts for more than 4 hours]. Kadary, i don't know what to expect. I said up thread that he reminds me of Joe Dumars. I hope our staff will cultivate and motivate him, and i expect some of that discipline will come in the form of 'the stick' and less 'the carrot.' He's going to frustrate JB, but man alive, there are some rewards to be found. The announcers said multiple times that he's got all the talent in the world, but maybe doesn't know it. That they saw him on another team in back to back games and he had 30 one game and then 6 the next. "Inconsistent" and 'without a motor.' This is the time in his life when he's got to figure that out because he will be his own limiting factor.

Clearly we need other complimentary players, rebounders, defensive-minded players, to make for a complete team. I didn’t address either players’ defensive abilities. Both are long, so that is there. I didn’t get the sense either player can’t play good defense.

Richmond scored nine points Friday night. He plays on a team with such bountiful talent he doesn’t need to score that much. (His teammates are headed to Minnesota, Kentucky, Maryland, Miami, Boston College, UMass and Valparaiso.) He took maybe one 3-point shot, missed it and was most effective on the offensive end when he drove the ball and finished. He is a big, strong guard with a tight handle and the ability to protect the ball.
Interesting that Donna says Kadary is expected to play SG or SF for Syracuse. I wonder if this is posturing for the young PGs on the roster now or if this is really going to happen? Is Syracuse moving more towards a positionless offense, where everyone can handle, pass the ball and shoot? Seems that way...

Interesting that Donna says Kadary is expected to play SG or SF for Syracuse. I wonder if this is posturing for the young PGs on the roster now or if this is really going to happen? Is Syracuse moving more towards a positionless offense, where everyone can handle, pass the ball and shoot? Seems that way...

Grain of salt. Over the summer, JB said Marek wouldn’t play C. That’s already been proven false. After watching Kadary tonight, he’s best with the ball in his hands. So we’ll see what happens.

Box score shows Newton with 21 points.

I’ve been hunting for this boxscore.

Richmond had 7 points, five rebounds and five assists in 27 minutes in Brewster’s 84-79 victory over Fork Union yesterday at the National Prep Showcase.

He was 2 of 9 from the field, including 1 of 4 from 3.