Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

He’s playing well, but those numbers are not five star numbers.

He’s not a 5 star player. That’s why he’s ranked closer to 100. After watching him play, that’s about where he belongs. He needs to work on his shot. It’s not a bad shot, he’s just not making enough of them. But I don’t want anyone to compare Richmond with, say, Carey. Richmond is a better ballhandler and passer. He’s also much more skilled at penetrating to the basket.

He’s not a 5 star player. That’s why he’s ranked closer to 100. After watching him play, that’s about where he belongs. He needs to work on his shot. It’s not a bad shot, he’s just not making enough of them. But I don’t want anyone to compare Richmond with, say, Carey. Richmond is a better ballhandler and passer. He’s also much more skilled at penetrating to the basket.
I agree with your assessment but too many people say he will keep moving up the rankings and could end up a five star by years end. No chance that happens.

I agree with your assessment but too many people say he will keep moving up the rankings and could end up a five star by years end. No chance that happens.
I think he’ll settle around 75. ThiNk hell move up a little but not that high. We’re putting too much value into two games just as others have put too much into his first couple games.

I think he’ll settle around 75. ThiNk hell move up a little but not that high. We’re putting too much value into two games just as others have put too much into his first couple games.

I think many are putting too much value on his highlights. Kadary certainly passes the look test. He is a highlight reel, but he’s not a high volume scorer. That will keep him from rising in the rankings.

I think many are putting too much value on his highlights. Kadary certainly passes the look test. He is a highlight reel, but he’s not a high volume scorer. That will keep him from rising in the rankings.
For me it's about roster construction we don't need him to be a high volume scorer, we need a guy who can beat people off the dribble and make the right shot/pass decision. The role we hoped Carey was going to play for this years team. If Hughes leaves at the end of this year as most of us believe he will Kadary will be a key player for us need wise in 2020.

For me it's about roster construction we don't need him to be a high volume scorer, we need a guy who can beat people off the dribble and make the right shot/pass decision. The role we hoped Carey was going to play for this years team. If Hughes leaves at the end of this year as most of us believe he will Kadary will be a key player for us need wise in 2020.

He could help next year. But he’s not a small forward. He really needs to have the ball in his hands. So he’s really a PG.

He could help next year. But he’s not a small forward. He really needs to have the ball in his hands. So he’s really a PG.
Agreed. Currently we don't have a guard coming off the bench playing well.

Still a lot of season to go but the only way he's getting minutes is if Hughes leaves.

He's not playing over JG, BB or EJ. He can get some minutes but they'd be at BGs expense.

Still a lot of season to go but the only way he's getting minutes is if Hughes leaves.

He's not playing over JG, BB or EJ. He can get some minutes but they'd be at BGs expense.

Hughes is probably leaving. But Richmond would be miscast as a SF. Absolutely needs to play the point.

Who is EJ?

The way Girard is playing and projecting his game into next season, he's not gonna be off the floor very much. Two other point guards will make it tough for Kadaryto get time at that position. Backup to Buddy probably makes more sense.

With Goodine needing minutes at one of the guard spots, that also doesn't leave time for a 4th. With Girard, Buddy, and Goodine; other guard minutes will be hard to come by.

You're right, many look at highlights and look for volume scoring to justify rankings. But, some of us look at highlights and see a big PG with a skill set that includes court awareness, passing, handle, ability to finish at the rim with either hand, length, athleticism, and an elite crossover move that he can use going in either direction to beat his man off the dribble. He is vastly under rated from that perspective IMO.

He is playing on a team with several D-1 talents who are volume scorers. What will keep Richmond from rising much in the ratings is not scoring, it is his indifference to playing defense and his motor.

You're right, many look at highlights and look for volume scoring to justify rankings. But, some of us look at highlights and see a big PG with a skill set that includes court awareness, passing, handle, ability to finish at the rim with either hand, length, athleticism, and an elite crossover move that he can use going in either direction to beat his man off the dribble. He is vastly under rated from that perspective IMO.

He is playing on a team with several D-1 talents who are volume scorers. What will keep Richmond from rising much in the ratings is not scoring, it is his indifference to playing defense and his motor.
The way Girard is playing and projecting his game into next season, he's not gonna be off the floor very much. Two other point guards will make it tough for Kadaryto get time at that position. Backup to Buddy probably makes more sense.

I saw him in person last week and his defensive motor wasn’t as nearly as bad as advertised. In fact, he had a great steal of SU recruit Woody Newton.

But, sure, he can be better there.

He wont get that 5th star this year but hes going to move up some regardless of his scoring. The exposure hes getting being on Brewster and playing with all that talent is probably good for a 5 to 10 spot bump (ridiculous politics) but it's true and that's got nothing to do his play this year. If he can have a solid year I can see him settling in around 50 to 75ish. Not that it really matters but it's better then being ranked 100 or whatever he is now. Rankings can be crap sometimes but it's not ALL about being a volume scorer. Not sure anyone is getting fooled by his highlight mix tapes like someone mentioned. It's easy to see what this kids capable of and what he needs to work on but there definitely isnt 100 kids better then him in the 2020 class.

He wont get that 5th star this year but hes going to move up some regardless of his scoring. The exposure hes getting being on Brewster and playing with all that talent is probably good for a 5 to 10 spot bump (ridiculous politics) but it's true and that's got nothing to do his play this year. If he can have a solid year I can see him settling in around 50 to 75ish. Not that it really matters but it's better then being ranked 100 or whatever he is now. Rankings can be crap sometimes but it's not ALL about being a volume scorer. Not sure anyone is getting fooled by his highlight mix tapes like someone mentioned. It's easy to see what this kids capable of and what he needs to work on but there definitely isnt 100 kids better then him in the 2020 class.

True, ultimately rankings don’t matter. My question is where he plays at SU once he gets there. It’s great that he’s talented, but if he can’t get off the bench, he does us no good. If he’s not likely to see much playing time in the bsckcourt and he’s not a SF, I’m not sure where he fits.

True, ultimately rankings don’t matter. My question is where he plays at SU once he gets there. It’s great that he’s talented, but if he can’t get off the bench, he does us no good. If he’s not likely to see much playing time in the bsckcourt and he’s not a SF, I’m not sure where he fits.
Oh theres no disputing any of what your saying. From what I've seen kadary is best suited as a pg or at the very least having the ball in his hands where he can create. If eli leaves then maybe we play him at the 3 but let him create like eli has been doing lately? I think JG3 will have a hold on the actual pg position but it seems like we have been ok having multiple guys run our offense lately.

I am struggling to see how anyone that is added to the backcourt will get minutes.

Girard III isn't leaving early. Buddy isn't leaving early. That is at least 55-60 of the 80 minutes used.

Goodine also is getting time as a freshman, and figures to only get better. If he gets 10-15 minutes, what's left? Not to mention, if Carey decides to stay and regains confidence, he could be in the mix (unlikely, I know).

Richmond could very well be great but with his height and athleticism, I could see him playing the 3 more than any other "guard" on the roster.

Will be interesting to see how things play out -- things always work themselves out. Just hope Buddy/JG3 backcourt proves to be something that is capable of winning in the ACC. Defensively, I'm not sure with the zone how it plays out.

We have to wait until we see JG3 in ACC play before we say he’s gonna get 30+ minutes next year. I’m a huge fan but it was only Seattle Cornell and Bucknell.

Also, shockingly our personnel may be better off M2M next year. If Eli and Marek leave we’ll see about 35mpg from Q; but will JB really go with Braswell/Woody for 40minutes on the other wing?

Buddy is not athletic enough to play the three. There is no way. He would get KILLED as a defensive rebounder. Killed. No shot.
Pretty sure he only meant on the offensive side. Kadary could play the one with the ball and still be on the back line of the zone. It has been done before. Most recently, Battle.

Why do posters do this? Richmond isn't passing Goodine and Girard. He's also not passing Guerrier/Dolezaj and Hughes if he stays. Thats not even counting Braswell. I think its highly likely he plays about 10 mpg or less his first year.

I mean a lot of fans/posters booked Guerrier for 30 mpg this year and we see how that is going. All it takes is to look at JB's history with most freshman to know what's going to happen.