Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Great post, 007. Although I was a bit worried about the translatibility of his skill set, I was pretty bummed about losing out on Andre Jackson. Even though he couldn't shoot -- at all -- kid was an elite athlete, and it always sucks to see a kid we are after go to uconn.

When Kadary Richmond's name started coming up the same day, I figured it was a pretty good "settle." That he probably had some potential, at least had the right size for the zone, and would hopefully be a guy with more upside than say, Louie McCroskey.

Then I started watching clips of him play and got intrigued. We always seem to recruit these big guards, and then try to convert them to PG -- often with mixed success. This kid had a dynamite handle. Not just against HS competition -- a big time handle, and he knew what to do with the ball. And he seemed like he could really pass the ball, not just get his own shots.

But I wanted to see more than just highlight clips, so I watched two games. Make no mistake -- this is a kid who coasts defensively, and expends 90% of his effort on the offensive side of the ball -- that's going to need to change. But he has some serious talent, and major upside.

I think that people get too hung up on positions. Point, shooting guard -- whatever. But I could see a kid like this pairing with someone like Girard, and really help Girard's overall effectiveness by alleviating some of the ball handling / play making responsibilities. ESPECIALLY against aggressive defensive teams that try to pressure the ball. That would free Girard up to play a bit off the ball, where he is most dangerous, IMO.

Richmond is not going to be gangbusters right away -- people need to temper expectations a bit. But there is no doubt in my mind that he can be an ACC caliber starter eventually, and that we got the better player between him and Andre Jackson.
Thanks RF

To me, Kadary is a much better all around player than Jackson.

tomaytoes tomahtoese
I just watched the semi final game between Hargrove and Brewster, which turned out to be the last game in Kadary’s HS career.

Brewster beat Hargrave pretty badly. Kadary was, IMHO, the best player on the court. I would guess he has the most points, definitely had the most assists, ran the Brewster offense really well and usually took Hargrave’s best player on defense, who he played very well and largely shut down.

He is an impressive HS player.

I just watched the semi final game between Hargrove and Brewster, which turned out to be the last game in Kadary’s HS career.

Brewster beat Hargrave pretty badly. Kadary was, IMHO, the best player on the court. I would guess he has the most points, definitely had the most assists, ran the Brewster offense really well and usually took Hargrave’s best player on defense, who he played very well and largely shut down.

He is an impressive HS player.

My favorite play was at around the 4:48 mark in the second half, up 20 the game is over and he steals the ball jogs down court and 2 hand dunks it with no effort at all...

Last edited:
... Kadary was, IMHO, the best player on the court. I would guess he has the most points, definitely had the most assists, ran the Brewster offense really well and usually took Hargrave’s best player on defense, who he played very well and largely shut down. He is an impressive HS player.

Yes - he looked good as a 6'6" point guard with a good handle, who kept his head up, and made a number of good passes to open teammates. He was playing against largely high D-1 talent, too. He also has a good frame, is long, and got a number of steals and deflections, which seems like a good fit for the zone. It wasn't apparent in the video, but the announcers suggested that he didn't always play with a good motor.

Yes - he looked good as a 6'6" point guard with a good handle, who kept his head up, and made a number of good passes to open teammates. He was playing against largely high D-1 talent, too. He also has a good frame, is long, and got a number of steals and deflections, which seems like a good fit for the zone. It wasn't apparent in the video, but the announcers suggested that he didn't always play with a good motor.

His motor is definitely the biggest downside with Kadary. That said you see him in a big game like this really getting after it. As a team Brewster plays like a team that knows they can toy with any team they play. There doesn't seem to be any focus on playing at a certain intensity. I wonder if Richmond can be coached up to bring it every night.

If he really is 6'7" can he play the wing on defense on handle the ball
You know, it’s interesting. From that last game Tomcat posted above, and watching the first half, I saw him defending up top and within the post. He got physical with their best player in the paint on a few plays and they actually had a few altercations after the whistle. That is not to say I would want him rebounding down low with ACC bigs. But Brewster did use him interchangeably. Let’s just remember, this was a man defense and High School and Prep is not the same as the next level. It’s possible, but I would only guess he will be relied on to play zone defense at guard. Again, only my opinion and I know very little as super fan boy number 1.

You know, it’s interesting. From that last game Tomcat posted above, and watching the first half, I saw him defending up top and within the post. He got physical with their best player in the paint on a few plays and they actually had a few altercations after the whistle. That is not to say I would want him rebounding down low with ACC bigs. But Brewster did use him interchangeably. Let’s just remember, this was a man defense and High School and Prep is not the same as the next level. It’s possible, but I would only guess he will be relied on to play zone defense at guard. Again, only my opinion and I know very little as super fan boy number 1.
Had the same thoughts watching that as well. Was interested to see what everyone is talking about. Even the announcers said, when he wants to play, there aren't many better players. I was watching for that, especially defensively. That game he looked more involved defensively than offensively honestly. When he decided to really guard, he moved very well, and his man very rarely was able to get around him. Tons of potential, but hey...we've seen, and said that before.

Had the same thoughts watching that as well. Was interested to see what everyone is talking about. Even the announcers said, when he wants to play, there aren't many better players. I was watching for that, especially defensively. That game he looked more involved defensively than offensively honestly. When he decided to really guard, he moved very well, and his man very rarely was able to get around him. Tons of potential, but hey...we've seen, and said that before.
Can anyone name a player who played for us, who played that well against that level of competition and didn't pan out?

So are the guys he just dominated...

You don’t think Jalen & KaJo dominated some dudes in HS?

Roberson abused KAT in HS.

I’ve been down this road far too many times -
I will withhold judgement of a Syracuse freshman’s ability -
until after he has played multiple college games that actually count, in a Syracuse uniform.

Not HS, not AAU, not highlight mixtapes, not exhibition games.

Kaleb Joseph, Jalen Carey are 2 of recent vintage. Sadly.
Carey didn't go to a NEPSAC school though (Immaculate Conception of NJ). Kaleb Joseph did go to a NEPSAC school (Cushing), but I believe Cushing is in a lower division (AA) than Brewster (AAA). Is there a difference in the competition level of those schools?

Kadary is almost the size of Moyer and he's a Point Guard! His floor is higher than Moyer's ceiling.
I agree about his ceiling and I am only assuming he will provide more value than Moyer. I see Richmond’s ceiling (ceiling being the key word here) to that of a Silent G, or even MCW, even sprinkle in a little Brandon Triche due to the muscle.