Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

I like his potential but if his shooting is a little shaky in HS, I fear he will struggle next season when he hits the better, more athletic defenders in the ACC.

Is his shooting really shaky or does it just look odd because he seems to cuff the back of the ball at the beginning of the motion?

Lets all remember how good Shawn Marion was with a CYO league push shot.

Is his shooting really shaky or does it just look odd because he seems to cuff the back of the ball at the beginning of the motion?

I'm not sure if hes actually a bad shooter? Anyone have his stats? I know it's been tossed around on here about his form being bad or whatever but I've seen plenty of videos of him making shots. Hes more of a penetrator/around the rim type player but I think hes at least capable.

I have been vocal about his (and other player's shooting form, I am looking at you Andre Jackson). But, as you said, it might work for him. But, if the coaches shut him down because of his form, it could take a while to get it fixed.

I think good shooting form is fairly important at the ACC level; tight defenses by excellent athletes will only exacerbate a poor outside shot. I remember many posters saying blah, blah " as long as it goes in" about Brycen Goodine's stroke too...

I think good shooting form is fairly important at the ACC level; tight defenses by excellent athletes will only exacerbate a poor outside shot. I remember many posters saying blah, blah " as long as it goes in" about Brycen Goodine's stroke too...
We’ll never know because JB never gave him a chance

His shot mechanics are funky - he is cuffing the top front of the ball at the start of his motion (the "front" of the ball in shooting is the side facing the basket). It is very difficult to change shooting mechanics. But, if your motion is repeatable, you can be a decent shooter, despite the form.

For the record, not many here are higher than I am on Kadary (except for maybe Ldavid). His crossover, creativity, ability to get to the rim and finish with either hand is elite. This is a skill set we haven't had since MCW. I will be very surprised if Kadary does not play meaningful minutes as a freshman.

Reminds me a lot of Frank, had he not gotten hurt, in HS.

not a bad thing

I will say this the ball goes in at a descent clip. It's not Lonzo Ball ugly (he did fix his after he was drafted 2 overall) but it is ugly. It needs to go in at a high enough clip to force you to guard him, I believe it will but time will tell.

Last edited:
Everyone on here is really high on kadary I'm just curious how come he isn't ranked higher? Seems like he should from the tape I have seen.

Everyone on here is really high on kadary I'm just curious how come he isn't ranked higher? Seems like he should from the tape I have seen.

The potential negatives:

shot mechanics questionable
Effort on D is sporadic, at best.
“You can’t speed him up” also may mean he doesn’t have an extra gear.
Doesn’t seem to be an explosive athlete.
(Majority of his highlights is busting dudes ankles on drives, not throwing down oops or stuff like that).

His positives far outweigh any of those, as his ability to get to the rim is elite.
And will compliment his teammates shooting.
The D effort will improve, or he’ll get to watch a lot of hoops sitting next to JB.

I’m very bullish. :cool:

I truly hope Kadary is good enough to force JB to play him at least 10-15+ minutes a game.

Because that’s 10-15+ minutes LESS that JGIII and Buddy will play.
Which will make them more effective too.

I'm not sure if hes actually a bad shooter? Anyone have his stats? I know it's been tossed around on here about his form being bad or whatever but I've seen plenty of videos of him making shots. Hes more of a penetrator/around the rim type player but I think hes at least capable.

I don't know what his stats were, but I watched a handful of his games and he seemed to shoot from deep more and more as the season went on.

I saw 2 games of that end of season tournament where he dominated, and he shot great. Multiple really deep 3s and he looked like a knock down mid range shooter as well.

I know for a fact that he wasn't a great shooter earlier in his career. What I'm not sure is if my small sample size where he shot the ball well was just a hot streak or if it is an indication that his shooting turned a corner.

If he can shoot like he was at the end of his high school career the sky is the limit for him. Not sure I've been more intrigued by any freshman. I could see his career going in almost literally any direction.

I am more concerned with his high and loose handle against ACC defenders. Reminds me a bit of Carey's handle and we all know how that turned out. We have plenty of shooters. We need him a slasher to open things up for Buddy and JGIII in the perimeter. Not confident that his slashing with his high and loose handle will be effective in the ACC.

I am more concerned with his high and loose handle against ACC defenders. Reminds me a bit of Carey's handle and we all know how that turned out. We have plenty of shooters. We need him a slasher to open things up for Buddy and JGIII in the perimeter. Not confident that his slashing with his high and loose handle will be effective in the ACC.

His handle is the antithesis of "loose," by any definition. Of all the things to be worried about with this incoming recruit, his ability to handle the ball should be last on the list.

Because that’s 10-15+ minutes LESS that JGIII and Buddy will play.
Which will make them more effective too.

I think Kadary's skill set will play up even more when he is on the floor with shooters like Buddy, JGII and/or Griffin (fingers crossed). Just to be clear, I am not predicting Kadary will be on the floor with all of those guards at the same time. But, I think we will see him paired with 2 shooters - as long as one of the 3 can handle playing the F in the 2-3.

CUSEMODE, this is what I imagine you envision as the desired outcome for Kadary every time you mention "loose handle";)
SoulfulEnormousJaeger-size_restricted.gif

Yeh I couldn’t disagree with this comment more. His ball handling is Elite imo. Most likely the strongest part of his game. He has the ball on a string and can do whatever he wants with it. He will be the best ball handler on the team the minute he steps foot on campus, and maybe the best handles we’ve seen on the hill in quite some time.