Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Interesting that Meyer meth picked us already...wonder if we have been on Kadary behind the scenes a bit and kept him on the back burner until AJs decision. Maybe we are Kadarys "dream school" :p
Andre is more exciting but Kadary is probably a more well rounded basketball player; the rankings are starting to show it...wouldn’t be shocked to see him as a top 60 kid by next year

The tape on this kid looks remarkably similar to Frank Howard when he was at Paul VI. Same sort of high dribble yo-yo crossover and looks faster in the lane than he actually is due to the long strides, footwork on the perimeter shot setup is the same, release point is a bit low but he form is similar. Probably a little more explosive getting off the floor than Frank was back then. Needs some work but the basic skill set can definitely be improved if the mental approach is good.

The tape on this kid looks remarkably similar to Frank Howard when he was at Paul VI. Same sort of high dribble yo-yo crossover and looks faster in the lane than he actually is due to the long strides, footwork on the perimeter shot setup is the same, release point is a bit low but he form is similar. Probably a little more explosive getting off the floor than Frank was back then. Needs some work but the basic skill set can definitely be improved if the mental approach is good.
I see what you did there.

Looks way better than Frank to me and he’s not even in college.

I saw Frank play in person at Paul VI multiple times (only a few miles from where I live). He was pretty dominant. If you put together a highlight reel from the games I saw it would look nearly identical. Honestly you can’t tell much from a highlight reel against obviously inferior talent. Just because a guy makes all his threes and makes good passes on the reel doesn’t mean it’s how he plays all the time.

All the guys picking Cuse...I suspect in part because we just offered him and Jackson went to Uconn. Not sure how much to read into it.

What did I do there? I just made what seemed like an obvious comparison to me. To my eyes they look like very similar players at the same point in their careers. They were also both ranked about the same as high school SR.

What did I do there? I just made what seemed like an obvious comparison to me. To my eyes they look like very similar players at the same point in their careers. They were also both ranked about the same as high school SR.
You had posted a line that I interpreted as a carefully placed comment that he's a similar player to Frank, but is not Frank-like in a particular way that concerned many members of our board.

View attachment 171186
You had posted a line that I interpreted as a carefully placed comment that he's a similar player to Frank, but is not Frank-like in a particular way that concerned many members of our board.
15854740-9BC8-4B59-ABF4-CFFA9A333191.gif

I saw Frank play in person at Paul VI multiple times (only a few miles from where I live). He was pretty dominant. If you put together a highlight reel from the games I saw it would look nearly identical. Honestly you can’t tell much from a highlight reel against obviously inferior talent. Just because a guy makes all his threes and makes good passes on the reel doesn’t mean it’s how he plays all the time.
He can dribble the basketball. Doesn’t remind me of Frank

Fair enough. Frank's problem was much more on the mental side (attitude, preparation, overcoming adversity) than on the physical side. That is always the hardest thing to forecast when you're recruiting these kids. I have no idea how Kadary stacks up in this regards, I'm just trying to point out that just because I compared this kid's physical skillset to Frank Howard's doesn't mean I wouldn't want to take him. Each kid develops differently.

He can dribble the basketball. Doesn’t remind me of Frank

That's a lazy take. I don't think everyone appreciates the type of difference it is between being defended by some high school kid who will never play D1, and a kid who has the speed, strength, and quickness to play major minutes in the ACC. Frank looked like a ballhandling wizard going up against kids like the ones Kadary is seen playing against in the highlight video. The problems arise when the defender is suddenly twice as quick and waaaay stronger. Look at videos of Cary's ballhandling in his high school highlight vids - you'd never think that he would have the problems he had last year if you were going by just those videos. If you want to make an honest assessment you really need to look at more than just what a kid can do when he does everything right in a highlight - how does he look throughout the entire game? Also, some kids can 'gear up' and elevate their game against better competition, while others don't have that extra gear and have a lower ceiling. That part of the game is as much mental as it is physical, and it's super hard to forecast until you see the kid go up against major collegiate talent.

Fair enough. Frank's problem was much more on the mental side (attitude, preparation, overcoming adversity) than on the physical side. That is always the hardest thing to forecast when you're recruiting these kids. I have no idea how Kadary stacks up in this regards, I'm just trying to point out that just because I compared this kid's physical skillset to Frank Howard's doesn't mean I wouldn't want to take him. Each kid develops differently.
Yeah, no doubt how a kid will respond is really hard to assess, and next to impossible based on videos and fan board judgment.

The ballad of Frankie Howard is such an odd one because he so clearly wasn't right physically last season and then had the extremely disappointing suspension. Had he been able to play as a senior at the level he did as a junior I think we would have viewed him very differently.

Last edited:
The more I watch tape on Kadary the more I like him. Kids a bulldog around the rim and finishes through contact. Has a nice feel around the hoop. Nice crossover and jump stop he uses often. I hope we land him.

I wonder if Kadary’s offer is conditional in any way depending on what Isaiah does. I say this because, yes I know players leave early and/or transfer every year, but having 2 players committed without open scholarships would definitely be interesting. Who knows?

I wonder if Kadary’s offer is conditional in any way depending on what Isaiah does. I say this because, yes I know players leave early and/or transfer every year, but having 2 players committed without open scholarships would definitely be interesting. Who knows?
My understanding is we don't worry about scholarship availability.

How that works, no clue. But we don't need to worry about it.