Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
The Syracuse Basketball twitter feed has suggested we are showing interest. Is this actually real?

It would appear that the staff has been actively recruiting quality walk-ons due to the sanctions.

Syracuse bball source on that comes from here that I read last night. http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/502727?referrer_id=1566508
Hopefully they gave proper credit.

Anyway, Huerter's team won the NY state chip last month and he has several A-10/New Big East teams interested. I think Xavier offered and Creighton is suppose to next. Solid player, but not somebody with our tight scholarship limit that I see us being seriously involved with.

Syracuse bball source on that comes from here that I read last night. http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/502727?referrer_id=1566508
Hopefully they gave proper credit.

Anyway, Huerter's team won the NY state chip last month and he has several A-10/New Big East teams interested. I think Xavier offered and Creighton is suppose to next. Solid player, but not somebody with our tight scholarship limit that I see us being seriously involved with.

I figured. My bad Francis, I've been lazy and haven't read your updates today as of yet.

I figured. My bad Francis, I've been lazy and haven't read your updates today as of yet.
It's not about me because I didn't even link that article on my blog. Was just pointing out the correct source for that info which gave more insight about the player you were asking about.

From ESPN Insider article, "Five Observations: Nike EYBL Session 1" from today:

"Beyond the big names, there were a handful of unranked prospects who made a name for themselves and showed why they should be in the mix when the ESPN 60 turns to the ESPN 100...City Rock’s Kevin Huerter is a big, long guard who drills 3s and is an outstanding passer."

It's not about me because I didn't even link that article on my blog. Was just pointing out the correct source for that info which gave more insight about the player you were asking about.

I should have my coffee before I post in the morning.

Spoke to my brother-in-law about Kevin as he is a high school coach in section 2. Best player on the NYSPHSAA AA Champion for Shenendehowa High School. The exact words I was given:"Reminds me of Andy Rautins" for what it's worth. Hop saw him play in Glens Falls during the state tourney as well. High school stats I could find are included below.

http://www.timesunion.com/bb-team/?TeamID=53&SportID=6&TeamName=Shenendehowa

Spoke to my brother-in-law about Kevin as he is a high school coach in section 2. Best player on the NYSPHSAA AA Champion for Shenendehowa High School. The exact words I was given:"Reminds me of Andy Rautins" for what it's worth. Hop saw him play in Glens Falls during the state tourney as well. High school stats I could find are included below.

Andy Rautins isn't the worse comparison I've ever read Kevin like Andy needs to build himself up for Div1 competition His 3 shot looks like he is ready to goWith GMAC coaching him he could be another Dome Dandy.

Andy Rautins isn't the worse comparison I've ever read Kevin like Andy needs to build himself up for Div1 competition His 3 shot looks like he is ready to goWith GMAC coaching him he could be another Dome Dandy.

Until he doesn't live up to elevated expectations during his freshman year; then, it's under the bus with the rest of them.

His level might be higher than I had originally thought. According to reports Maryland and Miami have recently offered.

His level might be higher than I had originally thought. According to reports Maryland and Miami have recently offered.

SO its unlikely he will want to walk on at SU? :eek:

Seriously though the staff may be looking into some guys they think may decide late if they are projecting a ship reduction relief from the appeals. Keeping lines of communication open seems wise to me.

Last edited:
25 points against Mt. Vernon in the state semis is some performance. They are consistently one of the best public high school programs in the state.

http://www.timesunion.com/bb-summary/?site=default&GameID=34397

All I'm saying is we need shooting.

Agreed. I'm not saying to bring this specific kid in [haven't seen him play], but last year we lacked players who could put the ball in the basket. We need players like this--even if they end up being bench / reservers--who provide value as complimentary shooters, who can put the ball on the floor, etc.

I'm tired of only having one or two guys who can hit from three, and if one of them is off any given game then the offense is significantly hamstung. We need multiple guys who can fill it up. And again--I haven't seen this guy play, so this is an attribution on my part--but I don't care if he is an explosive athlete or a jumping jack. We've placed too much emphasis on that and not enough on guys who can put the ball in the hole.

I'm not sure whether this is a kid we're actually highly interested in, whether he is deep Battle insurance, or whether we think we might get sanction relief and be able to add this kid in addition to Battle. But I like the concept.

I went to Shenendehowa, played against this kid growing up. He was always very short but could shoot and just knew what to do with the ball in his hands. In 7th grade he hit a growth spurt and instantly became the best player in town. Would love to see him wearing a cuse uniform in the future.

On that note, Syracuse basketball is huge in my town. Would not be surprised if this kid was willing to be a preferred walk-on for the Orange. If something falls through with Battle, he would be a great depth pick up without burning a scholarship.

On that note, Syracuse basketball is huge in my town. Would not be surprised if this kid was willing to be a preferred walk-on for the Orange. If something falls through with Battle, he would be a great depth pick up without burning a scholarship.

Well that would be huge! So long as his family can foot the bill for SU.

Well that would be huge! So long as his family can foot the bill for SU.
We posted about him in another thread and basically he opened up a lot of eyes in the state tournament. He still has another year of high school and then possibly a year of prep school. With all of the interest already in him, I am going to say there is zero chance he is going to have to pay for college. If he continues to make strides, I could definitely see him as an Andy Rautins. He is a very cerebral player. For those who don't know, his father player at Siena and has broadcast their games on the radio forever. He has been very well coached.

We posted about him in another thread and basically he opened up a lot of eyes in the state tournament. He still has another year of high school and then possibly a year of prep school. With all of the interest already in him, I am going to say there is zero chance he is going to have to pay for college. If he continues to make strides, I could definitely see him as an Andy Rautins. He is a very cerebral player. For those who don't know, his father player at Siena and has broadcast their games on the radio forever. He has been very well coached.

He will for sure have scholarship offers but I'm sure you know coming from Clifton Park that Syracuse is very appealing to him. It is the only big time program even remotely close to home, and as you just stated his dad is a big part of his success. The family has money, and if he really wants to be there I could see them paying his way.

The best thing to happen would be for him to finish at Shen, go to a year of Prep, and during that time we win part of the appeal to get scholarships back to be able to offer him.

He will for sure have scholarship offers but I'm sure you know coming from Clifton Park that Syracuse is very appealing to him. It is the only big time program even remotely close to home, and as you just stated his dad is a big part of his success. The family has money, and if he really wants to be there I could see them paying his way.
What's funny is that Yukon is really not much further than Syracuse but have no fanbase locally. Nutmeggers have to check their package at that Northway reststop.

Hey Olsen, that article posted above says he is young for his age, and could prep. Does that mean he could be 2017, cause he's a junior currently, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom