Ga Tech TV: Noon. RSN. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Ga Tech TV: Noon. RSN.

I think more people on here are upset that our home opener, in the brand new dome, that we can’t go to in person, won’t be on regular TV and that we have to jump through hoops to watch it.

As a young season ticket holder I find it annoying I have to find it on a stream rather than turning it on to my projector in the basement.

For an older person who doesn’t readily know the technology in and out I can see why they also would be so frustrated.

I totally agree with what you are saying, I just don’t think we can say the AD are not doing their job well because we are personally frustrated. Not that you were saying that, but some are.

I'm not sure what you'd like to happen. Should John Wildhack have to go over to your in-law's house and set up the streaming service for him?
What should happen is SU should have a concise mechanism for their own fans to find and watch the games. Its not like what it was 30 yrs ago but they still act like it. in the dark ages it was still like pulling teeth because they only had Tv/radio to get the message out.

If our board is struggling with the question then what do you think the casual fan who isnt even gonna be looking until noon sat is gonna do..

If you cant see the disconnect in how they do their job thats fine. I deal with it and have these discussions all the time with these people at a college and lucky its at a much smaller level. Its complicated but its not hard to do. Its does require effort and planning.

Its no different than TVG doing their horse racing promotions. They send out something that says free something on the so-n-so stakes race at Belmont today with a link to bet it.. The link goes to the full race card and the races are numbered not names on those cards so you spend 20 min poking around trying to figure out its race 8 of a 13 race card.. Instead say hey free something on the so-n-so stakes race 8 at Belmont..

SU can say its on a local RSN or they can say its on 631 on directv and channel 9 on Spectrum and channel 72 on FIOS.. One is concise and one is isnt. The paper can say check your local listings. The school shouldnt be so lame.

How many times have people with multiuple RSN went to watch a game and found it blacked out at game time and then go scrambling.

What was gonna happen Sunday if they hadnt rethought the bills-giants Fox issue. Most people wouldnt have known until sunday at 1 then they would have been pissed and some still will be because they are Giants fans..

Last edited:
What should happen is SU should have a concise mechanism for their own fans to find and watch the games. Its not like what it was 30 yrs ago but they still act like it. in the dark ages it was still like pulling teeth because they only had Tv/radio to get the message out.

If our board is struggling with the question then what do you think the casual fan who isnt even gonna be looking until noon sat is gonna do..

If you cant see the disconnect in how they do their job thats fine. I deal with it and have these discussions all the time with these people at a college and lucky its at a much smaller level. Its complicated but its not hard to do. Its does require effort and planning.

but this struggle seems overblown. The FoxSportsGo thing I get, as we have never really had to deal with that before, but once they did away with the blackouts for ACCN Extra it seems that struggle and confusion should lesson considerably. We have had football and basketball games on that platform for years.

I get the frustration of it not being on normal TV, but this is certainly not unprecedented. I think this thread has made it more confusing because in an effort to help, some have posted false or misleading information.

but this struggle seems overblown. The FoxSportsGo thing I get, as we have never really had to deal with that before, but once they did away with the blackouts for ACCN Extra it seems that struggle and confusion should lesson considerably. We have had football and basketball games on that platform for years.

I get the frustration of it not being on normal TV, but this is certainly not unprecedented. I think this thread has made it more confusing because in an effort to help, some have posted false or misleading information.
and at no point has the school reached out to the season ticket holder base with any clear info.. But I get blasted weekly with updates on buying t-shirts.

Streaming has cleared up thats great.. Streaming still sucks compared to TV. Imagine the day when ESPN actually enforces their streaming limits and all the people sharing ESPN accts get shut off. CHAOS.

Its no different than TVG doing their horse racing promotions. They send out something that says free something on the so-n-so stakes race at Belmont today with a link to bet it.. The link goes to the full race card and the races are numbered not names on those cards so you spend 20 min poking around trying to figure out its race 8 of a 13 race card.. Instead say hey free something on the so-n-so stakes race 8 at Belmont..

SU can say its on a local RSN or they can say its on 631 on directv and channel 9 on Spectrum and channel 72 on FIOS.. One is concise and one is isnt. The paper can say check your local listings. The school shouldnt be so lame.

How many times have people with multiuple RSN went to watch a game and found it blacked out at game time and then go scrambling.

What was gonna happen Sunday if they hadnt rethought the bills-giants Fox issue. Most people wouldnt have known until sunday at 1 then they would have been pissed and some still will be because they are Giants fans..

I think it's unrealistic to expect the university to make a list of the exact channel that every game is on based on your tv provider and what region of the country you are in. Pushing that info out to everyone would probably be more confusing than doing nothing at all.

what is a linear network? Seems a very obtuse statement. Maybe someone who is more acute might have a better angle on this?

Did you try to divide by zero again?

1600961551839.png

what is a linear network? Seems a very obtuse statement. Maybe someone who is more acute might have a better angle on this?

Not really sure why linear was included, since it essentially means showing programming at a standard time on a television network, as opposed to non-linear options like streaming services where you can watch programs on demand at your convenience. He's really just talking about having the game shown live on regular television as opposed to the streaming only option.

Ch 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9.

Make a deal to show the game on local TV if none of the national networks can carry it.
Aye , a quick google search and I believe it means non streaming service or cable/satellite/ antenna service

yea what is up with this AD. JW should be knocking on my door and explaining to me the difference between espn+ and watch espn. And don’t even get me started on ACCN Extra. What even is that? It’s not like we have played early season basketball games on there since we joined the league. Which was ... checks notes ... before he was even AD.

can’t wait for mobile ticketing

He's headed for your place now. Just left here after changing the batteries in my remote.

I think it's unrealistic to expect the university to make a list of the exact channel that every game is on based on your tv provider and what region of the country you are in. Pushing that info out to everyone would probably be more confusing than doing nothing at all.
I don't think its unrealistic.. the AD has a staff to do.

I do think the School sports communication dept does not think its their job.

It isn't difficult. Its mostly cookie cutter week to week. People do it here pretty well, we just dont have the ability to actually call and confirm some of the harder questions like they do.

You create a database you link it to a page and when you enter the weeks info it all appears. done.

I don't think its unrealistic.. the AD has a staff to do.

I do think the School sports communication dept does not think its their job.

It isn't difficult. Its mostly cookie cutter week to week. People do it here pretty well, we just dont have the ability to actually call and confirm some of the harder questions like they do.

You create a database you link it to a page and when you enter the weeks info it all appears. done.

How about you call the AD and ask them these questions rather than posting your annoyance on a message board.

upperdeck: "Hello, I would like to know how I can watch the game?" (Paraphrasing and removing tone & language)

AD: "Have you checked the athletics website -- cuse.com? The schedule page has all of the current information on how you can watch and what channels the game is available on."

upperdeck: "I don't think that is sufficient for me. I need you to send me something directly to my email stating how I can watch the game, or else I will go to my Internet Browser and complain on a message board."

AD: (Paraphrasing) "Please check the website and our social media pages for all updates on how to watch all SU athletic events."

upperdeck: "I am going to go to SyracuseFan.com and bitch that you don't do your job because I am not getting an email with information before every game that is readily available on the website."

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

I have talked with them about it.. They know they do a poor job. They admit they do a poor job. They also dont really care and have told me that too. JW I do think cares in my limited discussions with him.

the fact that they ask people to check social media pages for the info shows how out of touch they are.

how would someone know the page is cuse.com if you are just a casual fan?

funny these are exactly the things people complain about every day about other topics. Had this exact discussion at work about some notifications people were complaining about for exactly this reason..

CASE in point Covid testing. You get a test thru the school . positive they let you know, negative you have wait for a response if they send it, except with delays it can be 3-10 days and often you are on to the next test before you know the results of the first one. Causing chaos all over campus. they have ways to authenticate, they have ways to notify you, but they dont use them.. Much more important subject being handled poorly. Has led to lots of meetings but if management doesnt want to handle it better not much you can do.

go to cuse.com click around a bit.. click on the dome experience.. live dome cam link. tell me again how much they care.. its been gone for close to a week.. find the link that tells you how to watch the game.. Its the highest profile game we have, its not on the front page anywhere thats obvious. There is no thought put into that site.

1600965172641.png

I totally agree with what you are saying, I just don’t think we can say the AD are not doing their job well because we are personally frustrated. Not that you were saying that, but some are.

oh yeah, AD Wildhack had nothing to do with this, if anything we should praising him as he tried to get as many blackout restrictions as possible off of the streaming side of this game

Like the AD in the previous Regime who said that you couldnt put field turf inside a dome like ours and had to dragged to mtgs to be shown how it could be done.

go to cuse.com click around a bit.. click on the dome experience.. live dome cam link. tell me again how much they care.. its been gone for close to a week.. find the link that tells you how to watch the game.. Its the highest profile game we have, its not on the front page anywhere thats obvious. There is no thought put into that site.

View attachment 188464
that cam was for construction only since construction is done they likely unplugged it.They promote where to watch the game on almost all social media platforms that i have. It sounds to me that you have more a problem with technology improving

I’m getting hosed. Mom has a wedding on Saturday and I’m a groomsman :mad: guess who is sneaking on their phone during the game

and at no point has the school reached out to the season ticket holder base with any clear info.. But I get blasted weekly with updates on buying t-shirts.

Streaming has cleared up thats great.. Streaming still sucks compared to TV. Imagine the day when ESPN actually enforces their streaming limits and all the people sharing ESPN accts get shut off. CHAOS.
I thought streaming was TV now...I don't have anything on TV that isn't streamed and those of you still with cable are crazy for paying for that nonsense.

Dropped my bill from $185 a month to $105 and am ecstatic with YouTubeTV and internet only.

That being said, we have been in the ACC for several years now and this has happened multiple times with both football and basketball. If you haven't figured it out by now I don't really know what to tell you.

Maybe get out your tube style radio and listen to Matt Park do his awesome color and play by play.

He's headed for your place now. Just left here after changing the batteries in my remote.
Lol. But as you know, there are two problems: #1 is contractual - the ACC's deals with ESPN and Fox Sports/Raycom; and #2 - the secondary challenge of getting information to SU fans trying to access a non-televised regional game. As to the latter, The PS used to do a "how to watch" article, not sure if they did one. But here is SU's RSN help link: How to watch Syracuse vs. Georgia Tech

As to #1, JW is an expert in this area. I'm sure he did his best negotiating media rights. The stakes are huge, and there are many stakeholders, with SU getting only one vote. The way it worked out, unfortunately, is that SU fans are in for more frustration, and confusion, because: a) ESPN doesn't automatically stream games it deems to be "regional"; and b) the regional distributor (Fox Sports/Raycom) is permitted to MSG+ us - that is, peddle SU games to RSN's with NO OBLIGATION to air them in upstate NY. Maybe now that Swofford's out solutions can be found to these persistent problems.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom