Ga Tech Was Member of SEC | Syracusefan.com

Ga Tech Was Member of SEC

From 1932 until 1964.

I did not know that.

Learned on SU Athletics App which is previewing each ACC team leading to July 1.

Also South Carolina was a member of the ACC from 1953 to 1971.

Sewanee was an original SEC member.

As was U of Chicago in the Big Ten.

Holy Cross was offered membership in the Big East and turned it down.

History is fun!

:D

In other conference realignment news:

Two schools, the University of Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis, have announced their intention to become affiliate members of the Southern Athletic Association for football, effective in 2015.

You know what that means? Sewanee vs Chicago. You just can't make this stuff up.

(Father to son in 2023) Son yes, UConn used to play Big Boy Football at one time about a decade ago, they weren't always in the AAC with Maine, New Hampshire, Delaware and Old Dominion.

FIFY :p

FIFY :p

That's not fair to Delaware, at least they actually have won something and have a future Hall of Fame member in flacco.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sewanee was an original SEC member.

As was U of Chicago in the Big Ten.

Holy Cross was offered membership in the Big East and turned it down.

History is fun!

:D

Holy Cross was invited in 1979. Pitt wasn't invited until 1982. Holy Cross > Pitt.

Also, the Big East turned down Penn State in 1982.

From 1932 until 1964.

I did not know that.

Learned on SU Athletics App which is previewing each ACC team leading to July 1.

Tulane was one of the thirteen charter members of the SEC in 1932... Then in 1966 the powers that be at my grad school alma mater decided they wanted to be independent for some reason.

Talk about a stupid decision.

Holy Cross was invited in 1979. Pitt wasn't invited until 1982. Holy Cross > Pitt.
They say beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Spend a moment behind Providence's eyes and you see... that. And only a couple years after Pitt won the freaking national title.

From 1932 until 1964.

I did not know that.

My grandfather, who was an Alabama grad, mentioned that to me back in the 80's. Claimed that they couldn't hack it, so they chickened out.

My grandfather, who was an Alabama grad, mentioned that to me back in the 80's. Claimed that they couldn't hack it, so they chickened out.

I think SEC academics scared both Tech and Tulane away.

The BE basketball schools turned down Penn State. smh dumb ass move.

Ahhhh. not exactly what happened. That is, as you are aware, BE wasn't football in 1982. This was a Basketball deal.

PSU basketball at the time was quite bad, They weren't in a major metro.

Ahhhh. not exactly what happened. That is, as you are aware, BE wasn't football in 1982. This was a Basketball deal.

PSU basketball at the time was quite bad, They weren't in a major metro.

JoePa wanted in to bolster his basketball program. We he was turned down then demanded that the football schools pull out of the Big East and join an all-sports conference he wanted to set up. That's the basis for the claim that he was a "visionary". When that failed he demanded 2/3 series, where 2 of every three games would be played at Penn State. When that failed he bolted for the Big Ten.

It was suggested at the time that perhaps a football only conference should be set up. He was against it because "It wouldn't be good for Penn State." That told us all we needed to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom