Game Review/Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Game Review/Thoughts

Orangezoo

In the wind
Was stuck working and missed the game live. Followed the ESPN gamecenter though, half in shock. Looked like per the Box score and play by play we got dominated but stole a victory... then I watched the replay- just finished about ten minutes ago.

To start off, I don't agree with the assessment UB dominated us for a long period of time. What I saw was a team that may not play much better all year on a number of fronts. UB hit a lot of difficult shots. Their first half threes, maybe two were actually open the rest were all well contested and went down. A number of shots in the paint in the second half were not easy, many off the glass but still went down. Mballa is a solid player but also played the best game he has ever played in a UB uniform. He was composed and played incredibly well. Williams hit some tough shots in the paint too. Again, UB was hitting contested twos and threes all game. Major credit for shooting it so well despite being challenged on many.

UB's defense definitely took a book out of RU's approach per Tomcat's post. An aggressive mtm while injecting chaos into the game to eliminate SU getting into an offensive flow. I think this worked, but a lot of that was helped by hitting so many tough shots per my previous comments. We missed many threes but had few good looks. We also had a lot of plays in the paint and took advantage in the second half and earlier in the first half sans the UB run late in the second.

This team is loaded with 3pt shooters and guys who can get a bucket. Q is special. Griff showed tremendous poise bouncing back along with some bigtime swagger on that block. Richmond looked like a lead guard and was way more confident and aggressive. Buddy found his groove in the second half. We went down 18 then proceeded to win by 11 with OT.. plus 29 to finish the last 17 minutes of the reg plus OT.

To my point on having 3 pt shooters, we shot 3-19 from 3 yet scored 87 in regulation and 107 with OT. That is impressive forget the opponent for a moment. The last two games have been light years from the result and performances of guys like Buddy/Griff and now Joe yet they didn't end as What losses where they could. This group has something, how much of something we won't know until we get our center back.

Last point is Joe struggled but was a good teammate on the bench and is starting I think to understand that there will be games teams can take him out of at this point in his career. He also has teammates that can pick him up. Kadary/Griff/Buddy/Woody did a nice job in that regard. I feel much better watching the replay vs after seeing the box score/result and pbp. Aside from faltering down the stretch at RU without Buddy, I think we are figuring things out in terms of how to win and that we will have 8 guys once Sid comes back that can help us do that.

I like our chances vs a ND team that doesn't play great perimeter D to get to 7-1 before we head to Wake. Still a good shot to be 9-1 heading into UNC.

Lot of teams seem to have unreal shooting nights against us. For me that translates to our D needs work.

If you aren't close to elite in your movement and personnel in a zone, today's game will pick it apart with all the shooters. Every single team has a guy or two who can knock it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom