Gameday Shootaround | Syracusefan.com

Gameday Shootaround

CU44SE

All Conference
I have not heard differently but I know they always used to talk about how Syracuse was one of the only teams that do not do morning Shootarounds on game days. Is that still standard practice?

More of a curiously thing. I understand the idea is so the kids don’t lose their legs. But Jim also always talks about how 18-20 year old kids don’t get tired. So as typical, talking out of both sides of his mouth. Just never really understood why you wouldn’t want something light to get the kids legs moving a little and seeing the ball go in the hoop. It’s not like you’re running a grueling practice where the kids are going to get run down. Just something to get you moving a little and see the ball go in the hoop. All we hear about is practice makes perfect, so why not do the extra practice?

Last edited:
Shooting Shoot Your Shot GIF

I have not heard differently but I know they always used to talk about how Syracuse was one of the only teams that do not do morning Shootarounds on game days. Is that still standard practice?

More of a curiously thing. I understand the idea is so the kids don’t lose their legs. But Jim also always talks about how 18-20 year old kids don’t get tired. So as typical, talking out of both sides of his mouth. Just never really understood why you wouldn’t want something light to get the kids legs moving a little and seeing the ball go in the hoop. It’s not like you’re running a grueling practice where the kids are going to get run down. Just something to get you moving a little and see the ball go in the hoop. All we hear about is practice makes perfect, so why not do the extra practice?
Legend has it that Danny Schayes got hurt in a shoot around during the NIT at the Garden in 81.
Boeheim hasn’t done one since.

Legend has it that Danny Schayes got hurt in a shoot around during the NIT at the Garden in 81.
Boeheim hasn’t done one since.
That’s exactly right. We lost to Tulsa in the finals of the NIT. His ankle sprain was a major reason we lost.

Shootarounds are also de facto next-day check ins to see if you didn't go buck wild the night before. JB treats or treated his players like adults, for better or worse.

I have my issues with JB, but this isn't one of them.

The fact that they were started in order to calm the nerves of players makes it one of those things where it just started way back in the day and no one ever questioned it for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom