Garrett Shrader | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

Dcuse

All Conference
I am not a Tommy detractor. I root for him as much as I rooted for all of our previous, great QB's. But in his couple of plays that he got in for... I am so intrigued by what Shrader and Tucker in the same backfield will look like. Shrader is FAST. Tommy made some great reads on his runs to gain real good yardage. I cant help thinking that Shrader might have taken those the distance. I don't know what he'll give us in the passing game yet but this guy with Tucker behind/along side him would putt some serious pressure on a defense IMO.
Looking forward to his opportunity.

I am not a Tommy detractor. I root for him as much as I rooted for all of our previous, great QB's. But in his couple of plays that he got in for... I am so intrigued by what Shrader and Tucker in the same backfield will look like. Shrader is FAST. Tommy made some great reads on his runs to gain real good yardage. I cant help thinking that Shrader might have taken those the distance. I don't know what he'll give us in the passing game yet but this guy with Tucker behind/along side him would putt some serious pressure on a defense IMO.
Looking forward to his opportunity.
Tommy isn’t as shifty or as natural running, but he might be faster than Shrader. If both can run and pass, it really creates a lot for defenses to prepare for.

I’m really glad it appears we won’t have a “running QB” and a “passing QB”… 2 capable guys that can run the offense is better IMO

I look at it this way, I had seen all I need to see from TD to make me want to see somebody else get a real shot. That being said TD played good enough against Ohio. Because of his play I’m not sure it makes much sense giving Shrader any PT. I say that because last thing a team coming off a 1-10 season and then a nice road win is drama. Just my opinion.

I just want to see what we have in GS.

thought that vs Ohio late in the 2nd half would have been the right time to bring him in.

If TD is playing good I don’t think I like the idea of bringing in GS against Rutgers.

I think GS should get all of the 2nd half against Albany no matter what.

I watched the game last night in full finally. There was an opportunity to get GS in after we scored our first TD of the 2nd half. It isn't like we were throwing the ball all over the field, why not let him hand off a few times and read some option plays before garbage time?

I wish I was a lip reader to see what Dino said to GS as he was walking off the field when the clock reached 0:00.

Edit: I will also say I thought TD played really well. Made some great throws, ran better than I expected.

I don't think we are giving Tommy enough credit for how well he read every single RPO play. He seemed to make the right decision every single time with the ball, and not once did I think to myself WTH is he doing. Yeah, he missed on the two deep shots, but both were catchable balls and things that we can clean up from week 1 to week 2. I also look forward to opening up the passing playbook a bit more in weeks to come, where I think TD will Excel. Not a knock on Shrader, but from the limited sample size I saw last weekend, I think Tommy's mental game has improved dramatically from last year. If I'm coach I'm playing Tommy until he shows he can't run the offense.

I don't think we are giving Tommy enough credit for how well he read every single RPO play. He seemed to make the right decision every single time with the ball, and not once did I think to myself WTH is he doing. Yeah, he missed on the two deep shots, but both were catchable balls and things that we can clean up from week 1 to week 2. I also look forward to opening up the passing playbook a bit more in weeks to come, where I think TD will Excel. Not a knock on Shrader, but from the limited sample size I saw last weekend, I think Tommy's mental game has improved dramatically from last year. If I'm coach I'm playing Tommy until he shows he can't run the offense.
This is we’re Dino’s head is at IMO. Tommy did well with the mental part of reading the defense and getting into the right play. That is pretty big to a coach for a QB.

The Rutgers game is bigger than Ohio for a number of reasons and there is a much greater risk of losing. We need to go with who ever will win the game for us. I don’t care who, just win.

When we are forced to pass is when Tommy will be exposed again, I fear. Shrader is a high level athlete, I want him running option

Right on IMO as well. The fact that OU's head coach made such an egregious omission in regards to being aware/so ill prepared for Tucker and the running game speaks for itself. When well coached teams prepare better for our O, that's when the proof will be in the pudding in regards to TD. And, if he's actually made any real improvement in his ability to check down off his primary target(s), etc. This weekend's game against Rutgers will go a long way in getting a better feeling in that regard IMO.

When we are forced to pass is when Tommy will be exposed again, I fear. Shrader is a high level athlete, I want him running option

See this is where I think people are viewing things through a weird prism.

1. We've seen Tommy try to carry the offense when we couldn't run or pass block, while the D gets pressure rushing 4 with a light box and dropping into coverage.

2. We've not seen a lot of Tommy throwing when we have a heavy box, good pass protection. I'd suggest we saw him throw some good balls with 1 on 1 coverage (slants over the middle of the field!) and it's when our O got more dangerous in the 2nd half vs Ohio.

This is why we didn't see Shrader. He's a wild card when we had the game in hand.

Lots of good posts here. I agree with most everything. I have to say I was thinking it was likely that Shrader may take over fairly early in the season. I knew our OL was going to be better but unsure if it would be improved enough for Devito and skeptical on weather Devito was going to improve his game from last year. But I though he played really well last week. He didn't have a whole lot of passing opportunities but he executed what was laid out for him. He actually moved in the pocket when needed, escaped, made a pass or two on the run keeping his eyes down field. In 2019 he didn't seem to run the ball on a single RPO, It was practically a guaranteed handoff to a RB no matter what the Defense was showing which completely hindered our offense. But on Saturday he made the right reads and pulled it back and took off and looked pretty good doing it. Likely not as electric as Shrader would look but not bad at all. Not sure if that was because he was hurt a bit last year or the coaches didn't want him running those plays as they were unsure of our QB depth. But it does appear to be much different this year so far and the reasoning doesn't seam to be just the OL improvement. I still think bringing in Shrader down inside the 15 is not a bad idea. And getting him a full half against Albany makes sense as well. Get him comfortable in the offense and lets see what he looks like.

They will stack the box and bring the heat all game on D. If TD cannot get the ball out quickly and accurately, I fear it's going to be a long afternoon.

Again, we've not seen a lot of Tommy in this situation. He holds the ball when there are a lot of guys in coverage and a light box. I think if you want to see quick and accurate, stack the box.

Blitz pickup is a different story. I hope Schmidt is at good at that stuff as he is at coaching run blocking

I think Shrader will prove to be a better version of Clayton Welch. It might not always be pretty, but he'll move the sticks. Kid is a playmaker.

What that means for Saturday's game plan -- who the hell knows. I just want to score early and play from ahead. Schiano is going to bring the heat, but he's a no-trick pony otherwise. Playing from ahead will really help the cause Saturday.

They will stack the box and bring the heat all game on D. If TD cannot get the ball out quickly and accurately, I fear it's going to be a long afternoon.
Yup There is going to be an opportunity to hit some big plays in the passing game I think. I think if Syracuse can limit the production from Fatukasi, Rutgers' stud LB, they should win the game. Fatukasi can single-handily wreck games though. OLine needs to get a body on him at all times.

It amazes me that people believe he cannot pass.
The big question on TD is checking down through the WR progression. GS is a big unknown for just about everything right now for the most part.

Edit: GS seems like a great athlete though and has a high upside. The coaches need to coach and determine who puts us in the best chance to win.

Again, we've not seen a lot of Tommy in this situation. He holds the ball when there are a lot of guys in coverage and a light box. I think if you want to see quick and accurate, stack the box.

Blitz pickup is a different story. I hope Schmidt is at good at that stuff as he is at coaching run blocking

Well yes, and - that Sterlin/Dino call the game in a manner that allows Tommy to have a hot read(s) for blitzes, where he can get it out VERY quickly.

Tommy needs to execute, but the coaches need to give him plays that make that easier in those situations.
We need to make SUNJ PAY when they overcommit to blitzing, not just by not getting sacked, but by making plays against it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom