Garrett Williams... | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams...

BillSU

All American
has strong NFL Draft buzz.

Garrett was a 2020 Freshman All-American and he has led the ACC in pass breakups in each of the last two seasons. For his career Williams has 116 tackles and two interceptions - both of the highlight variety.

In run support, Williams is aggressive, rangy, and quick to react. He’s able to use his physicality to disengage blockers and attack ball carriers. He’s generally solid at squaring up ball carriers and obstructing their path forward. More often than not, Williams takes good angles to the ball in the open field, and he’s shown he can wrap up as a tackler.

“When it comes to defensive backs, Syracuse has done a fantastic job of bringing in high-level players. Williams was no exception. Coming out of Harrisburg, North Carolina, Williams was under-recruited, but Syracuse knew they found a gem. After redshirting as a freshman, the Orange found a way to insert him into a starting lineup that featured the likes of Andre Cisco, Trill Williams and Ifeatu Melifonwu. Those three were considered some of the best defensive backs in college football and were looked at as the defensive leaders. If Syracuse was going to have success defensively, it was going to be because of them.”

The redshirt freshman, had the best season out of the four of them. He was one of the most dominant defenders in the country and shut down some of the top receivers in the ACC. On film, he displayed arguably the best football IQ of any freshman in the country. Williams was never in the wrong spot or out of control of the field. When receivers tried to beat him with double moves, Williams always stayed sound in coverage. Hopefully he will display his prowess at the position again this coming season with even better plays as a top or the top defensive back in the country at SU.

After i got to “hopefully “, I’m guessing someone with ties to Syracuse wrote that. Or a Syracuse fan.

has strong NFL Draft buzz.

Garrett was a 2020 Freshman All-American and he has led the ACC in pass breakups in each of the last two seasons. For his career Williams has 116 tackles and two interceptions - both of the highlight variety.

In run support, Williams is aggressive, rangy, and quick to react. He’s able to use his physicality to disengage blockers and attack ball carriers. He’s generally solid at squaring up ball carriers and obstructing their path forward. More often than not, Williams takes good angles to the ball in the open field, and he’s shown he can wrap up as a tackler.

“When it comes to defensive backs, Syracuse has done a fantastic job of bringing in high-level players. Williams was no exception. Coming out of Harrisburg, North Carolina, Williams was under-recruited, but Syracuse knew they found a gem. After redshirting as a freshman, the Orange found a way to insert him into a starting lineup that featured the likes of Andre Cisco, Trill Williams and Ifeatu Melifonwu. Those three were considered some of the best defensive backs in college football and were looked at as the defensive leaders. If Syracuse was going to have success defensively, it was going to be because of them.”

The redshirt freshman, had the best season out of the four of them. He was one of the most dominant defenders in the country and shut down some of the top receivers in the ACC. On film, he displayed arguably the best football IQ of any freshman in the country. Williams was never in the wrong spot or out of control of the field. When receivers tried to beat him with double moves, Williams always stayed sound in coverage. Hopefully he will display his prowess at the position again this coming season with even better plays as a top or the top defensive back in the country at SU.
Rather sure the NFL is focused on the now versus 2023…

Speaks well of coach White that they both came back. Mikel mentions White in his interview.
Good coaches make a huge difference. Especially at a school like SU that will never win by out recruiting the Clemsons and FSUs.

Didn't Williams just say in his interview that the NFL recommended he go back to school?

Talk about mixed messages
It can make sense that they see his potential but still think he can use another year of seasoning. The NFL doesn't near as much on potential as the NBA. They want guys that can help right away. How many less than absolute elite guys leave after a redshirt sophomore year? I don't think it's too many.

Supposedly the recommendations are first or second round projection or return to school, so not as damning as it sounds.
This clarifies a lot. Thanks for the heads up

Garrett’s underrated even amongst our fans.

He’s been hampered by injury and has played through similar to how Iffy was.

He could work his way into firm day 1 draft territory this fall.

Garrett’s underrated even amongst our fans.

He’s been hampered by injury and has played through similar to how Iffy was.

He could work his way into firm day 1 draft territory this fall.
Duce with an off-season of training and Garret healthy will make a mean 1-2 punch at CB. If Syracuse can settle on a solid rover their secondary will be hard to beat. Issue is that they might have to overplay the run if the D-line can’t grow up fast.

Hope your right about Duce. He did well last year but it seemed on a number of big plays he got burned because he did not turn his head and look for the ball. Saw similar thing in the spring game. Hope he improves on that aspect of his game.

Hope your right about Duce. He did well last year but it seemed on a number of big plays he got burned because he did not turn his head and look for the ball. Saw similar thing in the spring game. Hope he improves on that aspect of his game.
To be fair, he was a true freshman and was All ACC. That stuff gets better with time.

Williams redshirt freshman season was one for the ages. With Melfi and the other talent that secondary had Garrett was constantly picked on and almost always won the matchup.

I think his injuries last year and how they hampered his season made some people forget just how damn good this kid and how deserving he is to be receiving this preseason draft chatter.

Williams redshirt freshman season was one for the ages. With Melfi and the other talent that secondary had Garrett was constantly picked on and almost always won the matchup.

I think his injuries last year and how they hampered his season made some people forget just how damn good this kid and how deserving he is to be receiving this preseason draft chatter.
He also has the advantage that Iffy and Cisco have impressed the pro's.

Any information/rumors what GW's plans are for next year? I realize he has a long rehabilitation in front of him, but I wonder if plans on returning or entering the portal or taking his degree and moving on.

Any information/rumors what GW's plans are for next year? I realize he has a long rehabilitation in front of him, but I wonder if plans on returning or entering the portal or taking his degree and moving on.
I would imagine he's going to the NFL and leaving the program.

C - none of the above. (in my opinion)

Why wouldn't he go Pro?

Dre and Trill both made it happen, in spite of injuries.

C - none of the above. (in my opinion)

Why wouldn't he go Pro?

Dre and Trill both made it happen, in spite of injuries.
Can he rehab an ACL in time for Pro day?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom