Gary Clark | Syracusefan.com

Gary Clark

SWC75

Bored Historian
ESPN has this article: Buddy Boeheim's 25 points help send Syracuse Orange, Jim Boeheim into Sweet 16 (espn.com)

"According to research by the Elias Sports Bureau, Buddy Boeheim's 55 points in the first two NCCA tournament games mark the third-most in team history, trailing Gary Clark (60 in 1957) and McNamara (56 in 2004)."

Who the heck is Gary Clark? This the heck is Gary Clark:
Gary Clark (orangehoops.org)

Most of the SU players prior to the 60's are 'forgotten players' to us modern fans. They shouldn't be. Check out some of these bios from the wonderful 'Orange Hoops" site:

All Time Syracuse Orange Basketball Player List (orangehoops.org)

ESPN has this article: Buddy Boeheim's 25 points help send Syracuse Orange, Jim Boeheim into Sweet 16 (espn.com)

"According to research by the Elias Sports Bureau, Buddy Boeheim's 55 points in the first two NCCA tournament games mark the third-most in team history, trailing Gary Clark (60 in 1957) and McNamara (56 in 2004)."

Who the heck is Gary Clark? This the heck is Gary Clark:
Gary Clark (orangehoops.org)

Most of the SU players prior to the 60's are 'forgotten players' to us modern fans. They shouldn't be. Check out some of these bios from the wonderful 'Orange Hoops" site:

All Time Syracuse Orange Basketball Player List (orangehoops.org)
99% of Cuse fans could answer that NCAA question and would be wrong.

99% of Cuse fans could answer that NCAA question and would be wrong.

Well - it’s kinda hard to expect even diehard fans to “remember” sports trivia that occurred long before they were even born.

Gary Clark was a heck of an athlete before and even after SU. Would be nice to honor him someday at the dome.

Not the best athlete on that squad though. See Brown, Jim. [Although, I'm not sure how much Brown played that season. He quit the team, but at what point? May have been during the season, or just before it started.]

So, he quit before the season began.

The what-ifs are mind-boggling. SU lost to UNC in the Eastern Regional Finals by about 10 points. This is the North Carolina team that went 32-0, and won both Final Four games in 3 OT's. In the final, they beat Kansas and Wilt Chamberlain by a point. If Jim Brown plays, SU certainly might have beaten the Tar Heels. Eight Carolina players, including the stars, were from New York, either from the City or Long Island. They followed Frank McGuire south from the City. I don't know if Jim Brown had played against them in high school or over the summers, but I bet they knew of him. I would give him the psychological edge against all of those transplanted Yankees.

Anyway, if SU gets by UNC, they have a chance to meet KU and Wilt in the finals. Chamberlain vs. Brown on the basketball court. That would be one for the books.

So, he quit before the season began.

The what-ifs are mind-boggling. SU lost to UNC in the Eastern Regional Finals by about 10 points. This is the North Carolina team that went 32-0, and won both Final Four games in 3 OT's. In the final, they beat Kansas and Wilt Chamberlain by a point. If Jim Brown plays, SU certainly might have beaten the Tar Heels. Eight Carolina players, including the stars, were from New York, either from the City or Long Island. They followed Frank McGuire south from the City. I don't know if Jim Brown had played against them in high school or over the summers, but I bet they knew of him. I would give him the psychological edge against all of those transplanted Yankees.

Anyway, if SU gets by UNC, they have a chance to meet KU and Wilt in the finals. Chamberlain vs. Brown on the basketball court. That would be one for the books.
Chamberlain over Brown on the basketball court but could we beat the rest of his teammates, as North Carolina did? We had a pretty strong team with Vinnie Cohen, Manny Breland, John Cincebox and Clark.
Syracuse Orangemen Basketball 1956-1957 (orangehoops.org)

I have honestly never heard of anybody on Kansas' team other than Wilt:
1956-57 Kansas Jayhawks Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)
I wonder why he even went out there to play. He was a Philadelphia kid.

Per this, he wanted out of the East and no part of the South. UCLA offered to make him a movie star, (the Wooden dynasty might have begun a dace earlier - and he did wind up in LA eventually). But he decided on a school in the Midwest.
Wilt Chamberlain - Wikipedia