George Karl needs to let it go | Syracusefan.com

George Karl needs to let it go

longislandcuse

Living Legend
His constant subtle shots at Melo are very revealing of his character. Most of Melo's teammates have spoken in defense of Melo and not Karl who is acting liking Melo broke up with him on Valentines Day.

Most recent comment.. James Harden is a better scorer than Melo. Sureeee George, whatever you say. It's been years, let it go dude.

Well said. Every time he is on the air, he attacks Melo... I got news for him, they weren't winning the title in Denver regardless if Melo played better defense or passed more. Basically Karl is the master of producing solid regular seasons, and landing on his face in the playoffs. Nobody cares if you win 60 games, unless you win the Championship. Those early Melo teams were never getting out of the West, let alone beating the Pistons, Celts, etc.

His constant subtle shots at Melo are very revealing of his character. Most of Melo's teammates have spoken in defense of Melo and not Karl who is acting liking Melo broke up with him on Valentines Day.

Most recent comment.. James Harden is a better scorer than Melo. Sureeee George, whatever you say. It's been years, let it go dude.

James Harden is the best player in the world at falling down.

Last edited:
This year has been awful for the Knicks but in a strange twist, I don't think Melo has ever been more respected. His game has been on point and people recognize that. Ironically, this is the first year people have put Melo in that elite status without a backhanded shot at his defense or shot selection.

FWIW, and I assume not much, my wife's uncle went to HS and played basketball with George Karl. He also played under Boeheim at SU before JB was the head coach, and had a super-brief pro-stint with Cincinnati I believe, but I digress. Apparently George has never given anything to his HS, or hometown, never shown up for any events or fund raisers. This does not make him a bad guy, but he is someone who doesn't remember, or care, where he came from.

Heard it from him for years, and now he comes on the local radio here in Denver and does it, and all the local guys on air kiss his azz and agree. Now he's started in talking bad about the nuggs and Shaw. You will hear Melo bashing here during a hockey conversation. Hell, I was wearing my Cuse hoodie at the bar last week and some 21 yr olds started in on the Melo hate. I broke them down with the quickness and they had the hmmm.. look on their faces. Get over it Denver, you didn't get anyone in here to help, other than guards to battle twin 7 footers and Kobe. You were never getting out of the west. Great strategy.

Apparently George has never given anything to his HS, or hometown, never shown up for any events or fund raisers. This does not make him a bad guy, but he is someone who doesn't remember, or care, where he came from.

sounds like a famous football alum. does he also own a carwash and a FN 5.7-caliber handgun?

Well said. Every time he is on the air, he attacks Melo... I got news for him, they weren't winning the title in Denver regardless if Melo played better defense or passed more. Basically Karl is the master of producing solid regular seasons, and landing on his face in the playoffs. Nobody cares if you win 60 games, unless you win the Championship. Those early Melo teams were never getting out of the West, let alone beating the Pistons, Celts, etc.
All you need to know about Karl as a coach can be summed up in his public begging for the UNC job, and not even being given a sniff.

Its really a shame with Karl. He and Billups buddied up and that seemed to push Melo to say f it and move on. If they don't have such a hard head as Karl maybe they make the moves they need to upgrade that team. They had a decent roster and some expiring contracts. A couple moves and that team could have had a real shot to make it to the finals in the west.

Its really a shame with Karl. He and Billups buddied up and that seemed to push Melo to say f it and move on. If they don't have such a hard head as Karl maybe they make the moves they need to upgrade that team. They had a decent roster and some expiring contracts. A couple moves and that team could have had a real shot to make it to the finals in the west.
Well it was two fold. Karl didn't help with him not seeming to like Melo. But the real problems were the GM's. Ever since way back when they let Mutombo go for nothing in return. Kiki signing Kmart to a ridiculous contract. Think how similar, dollars wise, big man, always hurt that situation is to Amare. Warkentien was only slightly better after Kiki left. Never addressed the real problems on personnel, which were to aquire bigs to battle the Lakers, etc. He did ship Iverson out for Billups though.
They still don't get it. For all the hoopla over Ujiri, he didn't do squat imo. Denver thinks they won the Melo trade deal. Up to this point, they are delusional. Now maybe with the pick they get from the Knicks, we'll see.

Agreed, it's a bit ridiculous and amongst all this stay or leave nonsense that Melo has been dealing with he has come to play every night. Nothing but respect for how he has handled himself this year

Agreed, it's a bit ridiculous and amongst all this stay or leave nonsense that Melo has been dealing with he has come to play every night. Nothing but respect for how he has handled himself this year
And that's exactly what I tell Denver fans, to not forget during all the contract/trade bs Melo played his azz off every night here. He didn't show anything but love for the game. Although he had one tough outing, and Denver fans took that and ran with it, despite his numbers in every other game towards a for sure ending here.

sounds like a famous football alum. does he also own a carwash and a FN 5.7-caliber handgun?
Not exactly the same. Harrison has done multiple things to benefit his home community. Opening multiple businesses and taking out a know drug dealer among them. Syracuse may be his alma mater, but it isn't his home town.

It's really sad that it has come to this. I remember thinking that when they got off to such a great start together, they probably put any differences they had (and I assume A LOT) aside and focused on winning.

Melo's career has been hounded by people expecting him to be an all time great all around player, when he's just one of the better pure scorers of the best 25 years. He'll probably be passed by Durant in that respect, but that last great scorer of Melo's caliber before him was Larry Bird.

Though Melo has a better killer instinct than Larry ever did.

Melo's career has been hounded by people expecting him to be an all time great all around player, when he's just one of the better pure scorers of the best 25 years. He'll probably be passed by Durant in that respect, but that last great scorer of Melo's caliber before him was Larry Bird.

Though Melo has a better killer instinct than Larry ever did.
The frustration some have had with Melo is that he has shown the ability to do some of the things he doesn't do consistently to be a great all around player.

You honestly think Melo's killer instinct is better than Larry Bird? Seriously? :crazy:

Last edited:
The frustration some have had with Melo is that he has shown the ability to do some of the things he doesn't do consistently to be a great all around player.

You honestly think Melo's killer instinct is than Larry Bird? Seriously? :crazy:

it's the NBA... i know this may matter to some but I couldn't care less.

it's the one pro league in the world where the sport's pinnacle athletes play such a poor style of game that the amateur college league is a better watch, more entertaining and more popular.

Just my opinion of course... tho i know there are many who feel the same...

Look at all the idiots who call up sports radio in NYC after another Knicks loss in which Melo goes for 40 points and 11 rebounds...and continue to complain they lost because of Melo. Unbelievable.

it's the NBA... i know this may matter to some but I couldn't care less.

it's the one pro league in the world where the sport's pinnacle athletes play such a poor style of game that the amateur college league is a better watch, more entertaining and more popular.

Just my opinion of course... tho i know there are many who feel the same...
I prefer the college game too. That's why I hate when some people suggest college goes to a 24 second shot clock. I don't want college to become the NBA.

afraid george has truly lost it. (and them)

John%20Lithgow%20Garp.jpg

You never look good when you are a coach that is not coaching complaining about an ex-player.

He knew what he was getting into with that team and he still took the gig.

Time to move on and hope that he can get over it.