Get back in the lab | Syracusefan.com

Get back in the lab

Orangezoo

In the wind
Tonight sucked. Judah Joe Jesse and Benny need to understand that they have to be good if they want to win. Jesse and Joe have to set the tone and be leaders. Joe and Judah have to communicate better as a backcourt.

Our starting lineup is better suited for zone, our second unit for mtm.

Youth can be ugly without a leader on the floor and we saw that tonight.

Soo much to work on. That said the talent is there so no need to panic. We don't have to win games by 30 to start we just have to win while this team gets its legs. Defend and hustle. Start there and work our way through.

Tonight sucked. Judah Joe Jesse and Benny need to understand that they have to be good if they want to win. Jesse and Joe have to set the tone and be leaders. Joe and Judah have to communicate better as a backcourt.

Soo much to work on. That said the talent is there so no need to panic. We don't have to win games by 30 to start we just have to win while this team gets its legs. Defend and hustle. Start there and work our way through.
I agree, but JB can not give Mintz free reign to do whatever he wants. I’m not sure our two best forwards are starting.

Crystal ball time:
Symir is going to get a lot of minutes at the point. He can run a team and keep things under control.
Benny is going to get reigned in and will take a lot fewer shots because he's still a poor jump shooter.
Don't look for much m-2-m because it was horrible vs D2 competition. We do not know how to play a good m2m.

The weirdest takeaway to me was Jesse’s lack of discipline defensively against an inferior opponent. Even his post moves at times were eh. But JB always says these small teams early on can be weird to play against. Most times he’s right.

Probably going to be a long year.

I agree, but JB can not give Mintz free reign to do whatever he wants. I’m not sure our two best forwards are starting.
Now more than ever I’d like to see Sy, Joe, Judah, Benny and Jesse. Obviously would have to be strictly zone. Judah may operate best at the 2. Everyone down on Benny, but he still is very big and active.

Probably going to be a long year.

I just rewatched a little of the second half. Instead of the play I watched the demeanor. Joe and Judah both looked unhappy on the court. Watching the assistants- frustration and tension. When trying to coach guys up it looked strained. Very little joy and excitement I saw from the staff. For a program we keep talking family- looked like an awkward reunion out there.

I just rewatched a little of the second half. Instead of the play I watched the demeanor. Joe and Judah both looked unhappy on the court. Watching the assistants- frustration and tension. When trying to coach guys up it looked strained. Very little joy and excitement I saw from the staff. For a program we keep talking family- looked like an awkward reunion out there.
I'll withhold judgement until Lehigh and Colgate. We should have won by 30+ but it was an exhibition.

An apt metaphor for the past 8+ years, unfortunately.

This can’t be a Joe vs Judah thing. The staff needs to squash that right now. Can’t have a divided locker room

Yep - it's definitely an issue right now though. While they both share responsibility, Joe is the senior and should be the one taking the initiative to work it out.

Board created

Hopefully its bad perception but watching the replay it looks like two guys competing against one another too much and a senior focused on himself and not trying to be a leader. Can't give a frosh a pass for being selfish either.

Not sure why anyone would have high expectations for this team.

Its the preseason and they are there to improve and work on things not grind out wins I wouldn't really worry about exhibitions being close since these are not exhibition games to the opponents its their March Madness/Super Bowl.

Hopefully its bad perception but watching the replay it looks like two guys competing against one another too much and a senior focused on himself and not trying to be a leader. Can't give a frosh a pass for being selfish either.

I rewatched the first half and all I saw was Joe passing the ball. Didn’t look selfish to me.

I rewatched the first half and all I saw was Joe passing the ball. Didn’t look selfish to me.
Right, you can't really call a guy who only took 7 shots selfish. Especially when he's a senior gunner who is the coach appointed go to guy. If anything, Girard was passive.

On the other hand, Mintz really seemed to put his head down and go to the basket... When he got stopped he popped up and looked for his own shot. If that was stopped, his final thought was to desperately pass to avoid the turnover.

Mintz really looked like a freshman trying to do too much. Possibly he was humbled after the other teams pg took him to the basket for an and one late in the game. He really hung his head as the ball fell through. Maybe it's not going to be as easy as he thought?

They'll need to get some balance in the next few weeks.

Right, you can't really call a guy who only took 7 shots selfish. Especially when he's a senior gunner who is the coach appointed go to guy. If anything, Girard was passive.

On the other hand, Mintz really seemed to put his head down and go to the basket... When he got stopped he popped up and looked for his own shot. If that was stopped, his final thought was to desperately pass to avoid the turnover.

Mintz really looked like a freshman trying to do too much. Possibly he was humbled after the other teams pg took him to the basket for an and one late in the game. He really hung his head as the ball fell through. Maybe it's not going to be as easy as he thought?

They'll need to get some balance in the next few weeks.

I watched the 2nd half again this afternoon. Saw absolutely nothing to indicate any issues. Like I said above, it’s a board created thing. Joe only shot a few times the 2nd half and only one could even be considered a “bad” shot and not a senior only focused on himself.

Who knows about the relationship between these guys. What we have seen is that they don't have any chemistry together on the court

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom