Get Out | Syracusefan.com

Get Out

orangehomer

All American
I thought the premise was interesting and pretty scary. but I didn't understand the need for the racial tension. was I missing something?

Yes. The entire point of the movie.
well that's actually not the point of the movie. is there a spoiler button? the premise of the movie is creepy enough without being dependent on some "white people kidnapping black people" innuendo. its creepy enough that people were kidnapping people to give them brain transplants! I don't care what color the people are it was weird and creepy enough to make a movie out of as it was...i'm asking if the racial part was necessary to the story or if there was some other thematic implication I may have been missing.

well that's actually not the point of the movie. is there a spoiler button? the premise of the movie is creepy enough without being dependent on some "white people kidnapping black people" innuendo. its creepy enough that people were kidnapping people to give them brain transplants! I don't care what color the people are it was weird and creepy enough to make a movie out of as it was...i'm asking if the racial part was necessary to the story or if there was some other thematic implication I may have been missing.

It is the point of the movie. Like you said, thematically, there seems to be much in the movie that you missed.

It is the point of the movie. Like you said, thematically, there seems to be much in the movie that you missed.
so you didn't think the premise of the movie was kidnapping people to give them brain transplants?

so you didn't think the premise of the movie was kidnapping people to give them brain transplants?
Sure, it certainly is one premise of the film. But there is a whole bunch of themes and symbolism, both obvious and subtle, that you have missed.

maybe we are talking about different things. to me a premise is the basic facts about what we are talking about.

premise: a basis, stated or assumed, on which reasoning proceeds.

with any weird movie like this, we have to have a premise. this movie is about people kidnapping people to give them brain transplants.

when I asked about missing a theme, it is a different question than had I missed a premise. a theme is defined as:

theme: the subject of a talk, a piece of writing, a person's thoughts, or an exhibition; a topic.

so in my mind, making inferences about thematic intent of a film is different than simply identifying the premise.

maybe we are talking about different things. to me a premise is the basic facts about what we are talking about.

premise: a basis, stated or assumed, on which reasoning proceeds.

with any weird movie like this, we have to have a premise. this movie is about people kidnapping people to give them brain transplants.

when I asked about missing a theme, it is a different question than had I missed a premise. a theme is defined as:

theme: the subject of a talk, a piece of writing, a person's thoughts, or an exhibition; a topic.

so in my mind, making inferences about thematic intent of a film is different than simply identifying the premise.

Your first point was that you didn't see the need for the racial tension in the movie. On this point we differ. It is essential. Your second point is that the premise of the film is kidnapping. I agree with your second point. However, you can call it a premise(assumed) or a theme or whatever, but the film is about race as much as it is about brain transplants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom