Giglio Finally Backs Down; Cuse to Orlando, NC State to the Bronx! | Syracusefan.com

Giglio Finally Backs Down; Cuse to Orlando, NC State to the Bronx!

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
He is steadfast. I am worried. We might need the Alamo Bowl folks to choose Iowa State to get December tans.

How the ACC bowl order is likely to shake out

The Des Moines Register disagrees with Joe.

I texted Alamo Bowl CEO Derrick Fox during the game. I wondered if what happened Saturday would have any repercussions if that bowl decides between, let’s say, Iowa State and West Virginia.

“We’ll wait to see the outcomes of the games and the College Football Playoff poll, and then make our decision once we know all our facts (and) variables.”

My hunch is that Iowa State over West Virginia in October will weigh a whole lot heavier than Iowa State beating Drake by just three points in December.

And so will the Cyclones winning seven of their last eight games, and the Mountaineers entering whatever bowl with a two-game losing streak.

I’m guessing — and again, it’s just a guess — that the bowl deciders will consider what happened in Ames on Saturday as just a blip.

It was another bit of adversity that Campbell’s team overcame.

Peterson: Yes, Iowa State should have beaten Drake by more than three points

Last edited:
He is likely to be wrong. The three major projections (2x ESPN and 1x CBS) all projected Syracuse vs Iowa State (or West Virginia) at Camping World Bowl. However, two of the above three projected NC State will get Gator Bowl in Florida. (The other projected NC State gets Music City Bowl which is not bad, either. IMO Music City Bowl is the best of four ACC tier 1 bowls. If Syracuse lost Camping World Bowl to NC State, I would like we go to Music City Bowl instead of Pinstripe Bowl.) Since Gator Bowl can only select ACC teams three times in six years, that means, in the next three years, Gator Bowl can only select B1G teams, as ACC has used up all the quota.

Last edited:
We still don't know if Oklahoma is in the Playoff. That's what's going to decide these Big 12 Bowls and thus the matchups and thus the ACC bowls.

I hope not, but I will not be shocked.

My guess is the committee will now rank NC State and move Northwestern out of the rankings. NC State narrowly beat UNC 34-28 and then beat a bad ECU team, but that will probably be enough for this group to put them into the Top 25. They really enjoy ranking ACC teams. If NC State ends up ranked it will help their cause with Camping World despite the head to head loss to SU.

If you look at Iowa State at #23 after losing a head to head with Iowa and both teams finishing the season at 8-4 while Iowa is not ranked by the committee, then it is somewhat clear that head to head matters sometimes and other times not so much.

In the case of Camping World money of course is a factor. But when people making rankings or scheduling bowls can apply head to head when it suits their interests something is wrong with the system imho.

Could Syracuse decline an invitation to the Pinstripe? Would they not do this for fear of not getting an invite from any other Bowl?

Just seems that they have a reasonable excuse in that they just played in the same baseball stadium two weeks ago.

Could Syracuse decline an invitation to the Pinstripe? Would they not do this for fear of not getting an invite from any other Bowl?

Just seems that they have a reasonable excuse in that they just played in the same baseball stadium two weeks ago.
I agree why can't we just say we just played there we don't want to go back we want the sun or belk?

ACC wants NC State - it’s a founding memeber school in NC. Giglio is informed by NC connections.

It’s just another obstacle and proof that the climb back to the top will mean fighting our way through NC ACC bias.

If Syracuse could decline an invitation to Rose Bowl, we certainly could decline the invitation to Pinstripe for the same reason. We have already been to Yankee Stadium this year. (For people who don't know. Syracuse declined the invitation to Rose Bowl in early last century for the reason Syracuse has been to West Coast that year.)

He is steadfast. I am worried. We might need the Alamo Bowl folks to choose Iowa State to get December tans.

How the ACC bowl order is likely to shake out

The Des Moines Register disagrees with Joe.

I texted Alamo Bowl CEO Derrick Fox during the game. I wondered if what happened Saturday would have any repercussions if that bowl decides between, let’s say, Iowa State and West Virginia.

“We’ll wait to see the outcomes of the games and the College Football Playoff poll, and then make our decision once we know all our facts (and) variables.”

My hunch is that Iowa State over West Virginia in October will weigh a whole lot heavier than Iowa State beating Drake by just three points in December.

And so will the Cyclones winning seven of their last eight games, and the Mountaineers entering whatever bowl with a two-game losing streak.

I’m guessing — and again, it’s just a guess — that the bowl deciders will consider what happened in Ames on Saturday as just a blip.

It was another bit of adversity that Campbell’s team overcame.

Peterson: Yes, Iowa State should have beaten Drake by more than three points

Most of the posters on CycloneFanatic think the Alamo, which has first pick over CW, will choose WVU over them though they believe that WVU will travel better to Orlando and they would travel better to San Antonio. Doesn't mean we won't be chosen for CW if ISU is the B12 representative, but like you I'd feel much better if WVU were the B12 rep for CW.

Cheers,
Neil

I’m fine with a weak B1G “name” team (though I prefer Penn St)... just don’t want to play in Yankee stadium again. And don’t like getting the shaft from the ACC in favor of the good old boy network

The one thing I’ll give Giglio is he was ahead of everyone saying Gator would take ACC when all season it wasn’t in play. The Sun Bowl is not projected by many for Syracuse but the only scenario that could send us to Old El Paso is playing out and that has to be an option at least. Still I could see us in Orlando and Nc St gets Belk or Gator.

If Syracuse could decline an invitation to Rose Bowl, we certainly could decline the invitation to Pinstripe for the same reason. We have already been to Yankee Stadium this year. (For people who don't know. Syracuse declined the invitation to Rose Bowl in early last century for the reason Syracuse has been to West Coast that year.)

Jesus you people need to grow up

The one thing I’ll give Giglio is he was ahead of everyone saying Gator would take ACC when all season it wasn’t in play. The Sun Bowl is not projected by many for Syracuse but the only scenario that could send us to Old El Paso is playing out and that has to be an option at least. Still I could see us in Orlando and Nc St gets Belk or Gator.
I don't understand why Pitt and bc are more in play for the sun than we are

Is this thread really needed. We have a 22 page thread about this exact matter that we have been talking about all week.

Your worried about some journalist's guess?
It is not a guess. You might not like what Joe is saying but he has sources. I think it is clear there is at least a chance if Iowa State is the opponent, Camping World picks NC State.

The fate of this SU football team might well rest in the hands of the Alamo Bowl committee (and the college football playoff committee). We might need to hope for love for Georgia and/or Iowa State.

Isn’t NC State in a position to purchase a bigger allotment of tickets than SU?

The problem is Iowa St is the same as us - upstart, very good, deserving of a good bowl - fighting a poor perception nationally.

NC State and WVU have better national perception despite losing the Syracuse and ISU, respectively.

Sucks, but it will take time to turn the worm

I don't understand why Pitt and bc are more in play for the sun than we are
BC is 7-5 and we crushed them. Pitt is 7-6. Behind the scenes I think we have our choice or at least a strong say in our Tier 1 bowl if we don’t get Orlando. The more I think about it if we end up in NYC it’s probably because the athletic dept actually wants that. Basically we could get passed over for Orlando but if we don’t get Sun, or even Belk, it’s because the university wants the team in NYC. If that plays out we shouldn’t necessarily feel robbed as fans.

ACC wants NC State - it’s a founding memeber school in NC. Giglio is informed by NC connections.

It’s just another obstacle and proof that the climb back to the top will mean fighting our way through NC ACC bias.
If I had wrote that, I would be accused of making things up or wearing a tinfoil hat. But I 100% agree with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom