Girard 2 pt shooting splits in wins and losses | Syracusefan.com

Girard 2 pt shooting splits in wins and losses

Millhouse

Living Legend
Please notice the way I'm framing this post with my typically glass half full optimistic and sunny outlook

In wins, Girard is shooting 51% from inside the 3 point line. This is outstanding and most likely a big driver in those wins we enjoy so much. However in losses, he's shooting 15% (4 for 27)

He takes 4.5 2 pt shots in losses and 7.1 in wins, so there is some adjustment but there needs to be more.

For Mintz, it's the exact opposite. He's 1-15 from 3 in losses and 5-15 from 3 in wins.

Against good defenses, Mintz can only shoot 3s when they're wide open and Girard can only shoot 2s when they're wide open. Recognize your strengths.

Change 4-27 (Girard from 2) to 13-27 and 1-15 (Mintz from 3) to 6-15 and you would have 33 more points in the 6 losses

Please notice the way I'm framing this post with my typically glass half full optimistic and sunny outlook

In wins, Girard is shooting 51% from inside the 3 point line. This is outstanding and most likely a big driver in those wins we enjoy so much. However in losses, he's shooting 15% (4 for 27)

He takes 4.5 2 pt shots in losses and 7.1 in wins, so there is some adjustment but there needs to be more.

For Mintz, it's the exact opposite. He's 1-15 from 3 in losses and 5-15 from 3 in wins.

Against good defenses, Mintz can only shoot 3s when they're wide open and Girard can only shoot 2s when they're wide open. Recognize your strengths.

Change 4-27 (Girard from 2) to 13-27 and 1-15 (Mintz from 3) to 6-15 and you would have 33 more points in the 6 losses

Would have a few questions: how many of these shots were bail outs from failed offensive sets vs within the offense? Also, could we say that good defensive teams can force Joe and Judah to take bad shots bc we can’t punish them with our forwards and Jesse needs to be passed the ball? Could obviously keep drilling down.

I dunno but, on the whole, I agree with your larger point.

I’m pretty hard on Joe, but we’re still starting Chris Bell and Benny is still pretty inconsistent. Judah still has real trouble with second level defense and his shot form leaves a lot to be desired.

Part of me just says, better players and coaches will bend us to their will for shot selection.

But back to your point - we take around 60 shots a game and J+J take almost half. You are right that if they could be even slightly more efficient, we should bank wins.

Would have a few questions: how many of these shots were bail outs from failed offensive sets vs within the offense? Also, could we say that good defensive teams can force Joe and Judah to take bad shots bc we can’t punish them with our forwards and Jesse needs to be passed the ball? Could obviously keep drilling down.

I dunno but, on the whole, I agree with your larger point.

I’m pretty hard on Joe, but we’re still starting Chris Bell and Benny is still pretty inconsistent. Judah still has real trouble with second level defense and his shot form leaves a lot to be desired.

Part of me just says, better players and coaches will bend us to their will for shot selection.

But back to your point - we take around 60 shots a game and J+J take almost half. You are right that if they could be even slightly more efficient, we should bank wins.
I would accept the trade-off of some more shot clock violations if it meant finding better shots the rest of the time

I think we get impatient when frustration sets it, too emotional

Last edited:

Thanks. Great numbers. Are those able to have his 3 game funk pulled out. Those games skew everything

I’m not sure what an “wide open 2” for Girard looks like?

I think is a simple answer - we have beaten bad teams, and lost to good teams. The good teams have better, more athletic defenders that Joe struggles against. Against the bad teams, for the most part, they have worse defenders. I promise you getting Girard more 2pt shots against ACC teams that are better than us will not lead to more wins

Judah’s 3s are literally always open, no matter who we play.

You know how we win more games? Having players NOT named Joe and Judah step up. They may be inconsistent but for the most part we know they will get to their average every game. It’s more about Jesse, Benny, Bell, etc becoming more consistent scorers. It’s not about getting Joe Girard more 2pt shots

This is from Tomcat's daily post. A lot of the NBA teams use this type of data and maybe it's more pertinent due to playing a lot more games. But if I am the coaches, I would use this to tell Joe where and where not to shoot from.

Attachments

• guards_shotchart.jpg
    guards_shotchart.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 57

I agree with coach, I’d prefer Judah never shooting from 3. Considering we can’t rebound let alone offensive rebound, it’s a turnover 80% of the time. If you told me 20% of the time we’ll get three points and 80% the other team gets the ball when he shoots, that 20% isn’t worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom