Girard as a Point | Syracusefan.com

Girard as a Point

Cappy3

Walk On
Really, for most of the game, he wasn’t playing as a traditional point. He didn’t generally initiate the offense in the half court, more playing off the ball. Most of the half court ran through the forwards. Girard is a terrific shooter, and his presence spreads the floor. But I’m not sure you can win in the ACC without a point guard initiating your offense. Fact is, he would up with 2 assists, and four other guys had more.

I’m not sure you paid attention or watched the game then. He would have had about 7 assists had Sidibe, Marek and mostly Guerrier finished at the rim when they were fouled. He’s also pushing the ball at every moment possible. Of course Marek, Hughes and Buddy are all good passers too. Night and day from the Battle, Howard, Brissett trio.

I’m not sure you paid attention or watched the game then. He would have had about 7 assists had Sidibe, Marek and mostly Guerrier finished at the rim when they were fouled. He’s also pushing the ball at every moment possible. Of course Marek, Hughes and Buddy are all good passers too. Night and day from the Battle, Howard, Brissett trio.

I think at least what my eyes are telling me is he is facilitating and the team just flows better when he is in. Honestly this pure PG discussion is nonsense. Why is there a debate especially since 90 percent of them time he had the ball in his hands?

Really, for most of the game, he wasn’t playing as a traditional point. He didn’t generally initiate the offense in the half court, more playing off the ball. Most of the half court ran through the forwards. Girard is a terrific shooter, and his presence spreads the floor. But I’m not sure you can win in the ACC without a point guard initiating your offense. Fact is, he would up with 2 assists, and four other guys had more.
Modern game has evolved to a more “position-less” game of motion offense and three point shooting. JGIII is perfect for that system.

Girard is the first guard in years who pushes the ball and finds his shooters in transition. He doesn’t dribble too long to give the defense time to adjust. He did this several times last night. Marek and Guerrier are going to have lots of driving opportunities because the shooters will spread the floor. Good cutting and screening last night. When we start standing around we lose the passing skills of many of these players. During an early stretch of the game we actually got our bigs the ball inside. They had plenty of too operate. It was good to see.

While Girard is a very good player, let's be a little cautious and not knight him just yet. It's only the 3rd game of the year and his 1st starting. Granted, really like what I'm seeing from him, but he will have bad games and mistakes, so keep that in mind as well.

Girard looks to be a playmaker. Several excellent passes last night. The entire team displayed fantastic passing and ball movement. Best offense we've seen in about 5+ seasons.

Girard is the first guard in years who pushes the ball and finds his shooters in transition. He doesn’t dribble too long to give the defense time to adjust. He did this several times last night. Marek and Guerrier are going to have lots of driving opportunities because the shooters will spread the floor. Good cutting and screening last night. When we start standing around we lose the passing skills of many of these players. During an early stretch of the game we actually got our bigs the ball inside. They had plenty of too operate. It was good to see.
Several good points hoops - I agree with all of that.

Not sure what the OP was seeing, but Girard was very good running the point most of the night, and especially during transitions. We haven't had a lead guard with his instincts and BB IQ since Ennis. The offense will look much better simply because of that.

But, there was more than that going on last night. The offense is different, not just because of Girard. Real screens, low post ball entry, weak side screens and cutting, and OFF Ball movement. Amen.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This whole ACCN garbage is why I haven't been able to see a game yet, but are you guys telling me that we were actually fun to watch? It wasn't a dumpster fire torchure fest for once?

Carey might not average a turnover per minute he plays but he either turns it over or makes a boneheaded decision as mad as a turnover every minute hes on the floor.

Maybe OP doesn't watch much NBA but that league now expects the PG to be the best shooter on the team or close to it.

We don't 'need' a 10 assist per game PG. We just need someone with a much tighter handle than Buddy. So far so good with Girard filling that need.

I've been very pleasantly surprised and extremely impressed by just how well Girard leads the break. He makes things happen for others and is crafty and decisive enough to get us in position to score when we run. Given how much he was known to look for his own shot, I didn't expect him to show that much in that aspect of basketball this soon.

When people talked about how bringing in new faces could make for a fun season, this is the kind of thing we were talking about.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This whole ACCN garbage is why I haven't been able to see a game yet, but are you guys telling me that we were actually fun to watch? It wasn't a dumpster fire torchure fest for once?
I would say so. The ball is moving quickly in the half court and no matter who rebounds, the ball is be pushed up court immediately. The forwards have been especially helpful with running. I feel like everyone can still improve. It’s going to be really exciting to watch this team get better.

While Girard is a very good player, let's be a little cautious and not knight him just yet. It's only the 3rd game of the year and his 1st starting. Granted, really like what I'm seeing from him, but he will have bad games and mistakes, so keep that in mind as well.
Party pooper :0)

I expect that Girard will be a legend by the time he leaves SU. Kids just got it. We’ll go through some growing pains but the kid is a winner.

The back court of him and Boeheim will be one of the most fun back courts we’ve seen at SU when all is said and done. Defense will not be their strong suit. But offensively, this will be a fun ride.

Last night Seattle through multiple defenders towards Buddy and Eli. Girard took advantage as did Marek and then Quincy late. Seattle eventually came back to guard Joe a bit more and Joe took it to the hoop and then deferred. I think what you are seeing with him is that he will be a 6 and 4 guy one night and a 20 pts guy another. That is his value as much as anything in what he does for the offense.

He will make mistakes and be taken out of games but right now it looks that even if he is taken out it should be to someone else's benefit. Let's just say his stock is a buy for the time being.

I don’t WANT to be cautious!

Several good points hoops - I agree with all of that.

Not sure what the OP was seeing, but Girard was very good running the point most of the night, and especially during transitions.

The pace is like night and day compared to the recent past. He's always looking to push the ball upcourt. Sure it's Seattle but we got a good shot on nearly every possession compared to the UVA game where there were a handful of good shots generated from solid passing and offensive movement.

Lots of pre-season posters dumped on G3 because he played against less-than-stellar competition in high school. What they overlooked, though, was his football pedigree as a QB and leader of championship teams, which may be why he may slip into a starting role more easily than most freshmen. The biggest test will come when he has to face Tre Jones.--VBOF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom