Give Coach a Choice | Syracusefan.com

Give Coach a Choice

ManleyRocks

Walk On
Last night's team will be better with a year of practice and games under their belt, but right now they are not playing basketball. They are playing pick-up which was really evident during some offensive and defensive sets with people just wandering around. This season is about working them, teaching them individually and developing them into a team. Reminds me of the Duke 1982-1983 team. Lots of young players that went 11-17 but you could see the potential that many possessed.

There also is going to be a regime change either in 6 months or 18 months. Perhaps a succession plan has been hardwired among Coach, ADJW, the Chancellor and BOT. But if it has not been hardwired, if I were ADJW, I would give Coach the following choice to get it hardwired: (i) retire at the end of this year (as you will have reached 1000 victories (again) and coached your sons and had an amazing career) and you may hand the reigns to your chosen successor being either GMAC or Red, or (ii) retire at the end of next year and if the team does not make the NCAA's next year, there will be a national search and the whole staff will be replaced. Very simple. Locks it in with an end date (assuming one does not exist) so that the goal posts cannot again be moved.

It is time as Coach acknowledged at his HOF induction ceremony, to be a great coach you need to have great players.

That plan would've made sense back in March. I'd amend that to say, Jim, you can stay on till the end of this season or allow one of your hand-picked assistants to be the interim and finish out the year. If the team makes the NCAAs we'll consider the interim in the coaching search. I don't see how JB has any leverage at this point to dictate who his successor is.

If you deep 6 the entire staff you probably see a mass exodus to the portal with no recruits coming in. We will be Pitt

Last night's team will be better with a year of practice and games under their belt, but right now they are not playing basketball. They are playing pick-up which was really evident during some offensive and defensive sets with people just wandering around. This season is about working them, teaching them individually and developing them into a team. Reminds me of the Duke 1982-1983 team. Lots of young players that went 11-17 but you could see the potential that many possessed.

There also is going to be a regime change either in 6 months or 18 months. Perhaps a succession plan has been hardwired among Coach, ADJW, the Chancellor and BOT. But if it has not been hardwired, if I were ADJW, I would give Coach the following choice to get it hardwired: (i) retire at the end of this year (as you will have reached 1000 victories (again) and coached your sons and had an amazing career) and you may hand the reigns to your chosen successor being either GMAC or Red, or (ii) retire at the end of next year and if the team does not make the NCAA's next year, there will be a national search and the whole staff will be replaced. Very simple. Locks it in with an end date (assuming one does not exist) so that the goal posts cannot again be moved.

It is time as Coach acknowledged at his HOF induction ceremony, to be a great coach you need to have great players.
No He’s had enough time time to move on

If you deep 6 the entire staff you probably see a mass exodus to the portal with no recruits coming in. We will be Pitt
Point taken, but IMHO, I don't think that would happen here if we got a coach in who had a track record and name recognition (cough, Pitino, cough).

It might be shakey for a year, but we would quickly end up on a much better trajectory.

We have no recruits coming in anyways, lol

What is our recruiting pitch, we have a 9 year decline, coming off a losing season, a coach that is 79 who might be able to say, "I will be here next year"

Honestly, who cares? We need a program leader and if it takes a year or so for that guy to turn over the roster to get the right fits, great. I'll take a 7-23 year with hope for a quick turnaround over the constant 15-18 win seasons with the same stale basketball, same issues and no chance to compete.

The future coach at SU is not currently on staff. JB will not be allowed to pick his successor as part of his exit. That would be foolish and completely irresponsible of the AD and university.

We’re at the point where firing JB is actually on the table as a reasonable option. Heck, it may be the best option.

And you can get a mass influx of players from the portal, if you hire a dynamic recruiter of a coach. Recruiting misses don't have the long term consequences they used to have with how volatile player movement is now. A whole roster can turn over in two years.

The one thing I disagree with mightily is Boeheim being allowed to choose his successor. Why? I would be very concerned with him doing what is in the best interest of SU long term versus who he feels loyal to or just wants to see as head coach. Asking Jim for his input, fine. But that's all that it should be.

Yes, but to get great players, you need to be a great coach/recruiter.

Chicken and egg.

His judgment is questionable and his loyalties/affections should not be the platform for a program.

This is a business. In what world does a person get ‘removed’ for non-performance and still get to name his successor?

His judgment is questionable and his loyalties/affections should not be the platform for a program.

This is a business. In what world does a person get ‘removed’ for non-performance and still get to name his successor?

Why do people keep saying he’s going to name his successor like it’s fact. JB has addressed that question.

Why do people keep saying he’s going to name his successor like it’s fact. JB has addressed that question.
I didn’t say it was a fact. I responded to the concept of the OP’s hypothetical suggestion/offer.

Either way, I don’t know what JB said about it, and I don’t know that I’d trust that anyway.

I didn’t say it was a fact. I responded to the concept of the OP’s hypothetical suggestion/offer.

Either way, I don’t know what JB said about it, and I don’t know that I’d trust that anyway.

You said why would he get to name his successor. The OP didn’t say that.

What are we clinging to?

Second paragraph of the OP:

”…if I were ADJW, I would give Coach the following choice to get it hardwired: (i) retire at the end of this year (as you will have reached 1000 victories (again) and coached your sons and had an amazing career) and you may hand the reigns to your chosen successor being either GMAC or Red, or (ii) retire at the end of next year and if the team does not make the NCAA's next year, there will be a national search and the whole staff will be replaced.”

Second paragraph of the OP:

”…if I were ADJW, I would give Coach the following choice to get it hardwired: (i) retire at the end of this year (as you will have reached 1000 victories (again) and coached your sons and had an amazing career) and you may hand the reigns to your chosen successor being either GMAC or Red, or (ii) retire at the end of next year and if the team does not make the NCAA's next year, there will be a national search and the whole staff will be replaced.”

Yea I missed that somehow. My bad.

Rick, you know he'll have a say in it. It's preposterous to think otherwise.

IF he doesn't and the successor struggles, it's not like he won't be vocal about the "i told you so"

Yeah, it's a self-perpetuating falsehood (or at best, an unknown). Only true in people's minds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom