GMac Promoted to Associate Head Coach | Syracusefan.com

GMac Promoted to Associate Head Coach

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Assistant men's basketball coach Gerry McNamara '06 has been promoted to associate head coach at his alma mater, according to the Syracuse University Athletics Department.

"I am pleased Gerry will remain on our staff," said Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack. "He's earned this well-deserved promotion to Associate Head Coach. Gerry is an excellent recruiter and has done tremendous work developing our guards. I'm thrilled he will continue to grow his career at Syracuse."

COACH AUTRY ON McNAMARA

"Our program is fortunate to be able to have a quality coach like Gerry McNamara," said Autry. "He has symbolized the uniqueness of our program as a player and as an assistant coach. I am grateful to have him remain on our staff."

COACH McNAMARA

"I appreciate the chance to continue to coach at Syracuse University and help Coach Autry build on the program's history of success," said McNamara. "The community has meant the world to my family and I over the years. I know as a staff we are eager to hit the ground running and get right to work."

FrRZLNRXsAEPoZJ

i wonder if this takes him out of contention for smallish HC jobs?

Does anyone know what this position potentially pays at Syracuse (with all the trappings of the camps, etc) vs a HC gig at say UNH or Holy Cross (two mid majors that opened up)

I'm all for giving the guys who have been committed to Syracuse for a long time the chance to turn our program around. Red & GMac are young hungry lions who know what its like when SU basketball is hitting on all cylinders. They have lived it, they've been there when the Dome rocks, when we are nationally relevant, they want it back, and I think they have the ability to rebuild over the next couple of years. Certainly the JJ news shows Red & Mac are not letting the grass grow under their feet.

I think it would not be a bad idea to build the staff out as well. If we need to bring in some specialty coaches to reinforce our BB infrastructure, well, let's do it. It's a team sport up and down the line and we should have the best team on the court and the best team in the staff room.

Really looking forward to next year . . . and ready to give these guys time to build from the ground up. LGO.

Last edited:
Glad he is sticking around. Great for the program. I still think, for his own career, he should stretch his wings and take a HC spot someplace regional. But for now, being AHC at SU is a great spot.

Wow. This should put questions about him pursuing other opportunities to bed.
I assume with the discount for Red vs Boeheim contractually, they have the ability to pay Gerry a very nice number to stick around (and hopefully someone from the outside). This is one of the biggest revenue makers in college basketball, good to see them flexing their staff muscles

If we do well quickly without Boeheim I believe this could propel GMac like a rocket ship. Could be a top name for openings in a season or two.

Gerry is only 39. He got a nice pay bump. His kids are still young.

If Red kills it here, GMac will probably get looks from much more high level schools because he will be a big part of that success. Maybe he’d rather keep his family here for a while

Maybe he threatened to take the Iona job if he didn’t get a raise?

Excellent. It means he’s here next year. If there is a massive turnaround next year, he’ll be a hot commodity. He’s hard to sell to a fan base or administration right now.

He’s also got much more experience than AG…so Allen would understand.

Next up. Stud recruiter for the final road spot.

Then add a bench coach after the FF is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom