Golf, Golf and more Golf | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Golf, Golf and more Golf

The scoring can get goofy some times. The first time I played a game of Wolf Hammer I walked onto the 18th tee box down 300, and left up 300. That said we usually only exchange about 20-30 dollars. Not knowing the game the first time is what created the extremes. I think trading twenties amongst friends is a good place to be.
That’s exactly our game +/- $25 on most weekends. Once or twice a month we’ll get jiggy and set up the game so it’s +/- $50 just to kick up the competitive juices. I don’t like the +/- $200 games that I see many of the guys playing.

I gave up on playing Pro-V1's a couple-three years ago. I don't have the swing speed for 'em anymore. I don't like any of the Taylormade balls much; the Bridgestone E6 was a good one but it's now an artifact. What I found that I like is the Callaway Supersoft. Fairly straight, good distance, soft feel, for half the price of Titleist's flagship. I quite like the yellow ones, but so the the local ravens. I lost two balls in one round last year when a raven flew down, picked up the ball and flew away with it. So I keep a few "others" in the bag as a contingency. ")

That’s exactly our game +/- $25 on most weekends. Once or twice a month we’ll get jiggy and set up the game so it’s +/- $50 just to kick up the competitive juices. I don’t like the +/- $200 games that I see many of the guys playing.
I don't enjoy their being high stakes. Whatever I play I want to be sure I never think about the money when deciding between going for it or laying up, specifically I don't want to think about if I hurt my partner if I decide to go for it from 270 out on a par 5. High risk play, but it kills me to lay up, and I don't want dollars dictating my decisions. Im having fun out there.

Was just at the Poconos this weekend, met up with a few friends and played at Jack Frost National and Mount Airy. Shot a 92 at Mount Airy and a 94 at Jack Frost from the Blue tees. Both were very nice, challenging courses. I think if I had played more often recently I could've broke 90 at both places.

I gave up on playing Pro-V1's a couple-three years ago. I don't have the swing speed for 'em anymore. I don't like any of the Taylormade balls much; the Bridgestone E6 was a good one but it's now an artifact. What I found that I like is the Callaway Supersoft. Fairly straight, good distance, soft feel, for half the price of Titleist's flagship. I quite like the yellow ones, but so the the local ravens. I lost two balls in one round last year when a raven flew down, picked up the ball and flew away with it. So I keep a few "others" in the bag as a contingency. ")

i really like the titleist avx's

Played in a scramble yesterday supporting Geddes little league at Vesper Hills. We played pretty well and came in second and won a skin. But the real winners of the day were the views. I had never played there before and every hole had a wonderful view. The course itself is average but fun. The greens were in phenomenal shape. Had a great time. Clubhouse was quite nice. I believe there was a sutomcat sighting but it was from a ways away just before we pulled away for the shotgun start.

I once bounced a shot off the head of an alligator onto the green. Of course it was a fake alligator but still counts.

I once bounced a shot off the head of an alligator onto the green. Of course it was a fake alligator but still counts.

was that at fairmount glen putt putt?

I am excited, with trepidation: I have booked the important part of my trip with my brother: late September; Pebble Beach, Spy Glass, and Spanish Bay. Hopeful for Coronado and Torrey Pines in San Diego

curt b territory with the 300 yd drive.

Well done

he forgot to mention it was downwind, downhill, and he hit a sprinkler head

Ha, that’s funny. Golfs an interesting game, coming from someone who has been taking it serious for a year now. Last year off the tee was a huge struggle. This year, my irons are letting me down, but my driver has never been stronger. My tennis coach in me has really benefited me with my lower body. I’ve developed a really nice draw when I incorporate my hands more in my swing. I admit my irons are failing me right now because of my hands. I’m trying to get my right hand more passive.

i did win a nice little fleet feet gift card for winning the longest drive contest at our tournament last weekend. About the only thing I can claim right now.

BTW - I love Nassau. My favorite game on the course!

Tell me about it. I live in western Canada. I go about six months without touching a club (so we play hockey instead). Currently at 11.4 index. Last Thursday I closed bogey-bogey-double for an 80. Cow the younger would have been in clinical depression, Now, it's just golf. :) Got fitted a month ago for G425 irons but every supply chain in the freaking world is backlogged <sigh>. Hope I get 'em before September.
I just shot an 81 at a course in Turks and Caicos, my best found ever. I drove the ball great. My approach game needs work, I’m missing way too many greens and not scoring. I was able to play the par 3s at even which was nice for me. All in all still a work in progress but I know what I need to work on

Shot 79 on Sunday. Stars aligned for me. Was driving ball in fairway and on greens in regulation (most of the time). Really pulls down the index. I’m “peaking” before our member/guest.

Played in a scramble yesterday supporting Geddes little league at Vesper Hills. We played pretty well and came in second and won a skin. But the real winners of the day were the views. I had never played there before and every hole had a wonderful view. The course itself is average but fun. The greens were in phenomenal shape. Had a great time. Clubhouse was quite nice. I believe there was a sutomcat sighting but it was from a ways away just before we pulled away for the shotgun start.
Hey, I thought I caught a glimpse of you while getting in line for grub afterwards but I think you were leaving as I was getting there and I never saw you again. Sorry we didn’t have a chance to connect.

Agree on Vesper. I hadn’t played it in 15-20 years and it was a lot nicer than I remember it from back then.

We are fortunate to have so many good, affordable courses so close by in CNY.

Ha, that’s funny. Golfs an interesting game, coming from someone who has been taking it serious for a year now. Last year off the tee was a huge struggle. This year, my irons are letting me down, but my driver has never been stronger. My tennis coach in me has really benefited me with my lower body. I’ve developed a really nice draw when I incorporate my hands more in my swing. I admit my irons are failing me right now because of my hands. I’m trying to get my right hand more passive.

i did win a nice little fleet feet gift card for winning the longest drive contest at our tournament last weekend. About the only thing I can claim right now.

BTW - I love Nassau. My favorite game on the course!
For amateur golfers, it never seems to all come together at the same time. My ghin is a -6. For two years, I couldn’t get off the tee at all. Playing Florida golf would kill me. I finally figured it out and now my short game has gone inconsistent. Maddening yet beautiful at the same time.

I see that Luke had a good weekend last tournament. Maybe a good sign of things to come?
Luke List? Yes. I can’t yell at him enough about his putting and he finally listened. He is one of my best friends and I was in his wedding and fun fact, Luke almost quit golf in 2012. I got him to come stay with me in California for couple months and got him in gear. Dude is crazy talented and I killed him in fantasy football this year which is even better. Too bad it didn’t pay the same as his T6 last week. Keep following him!
LUKE!!!! Alone in first

Golf is so dumb lol. He’s played 3 rounds in 2 months because he had a new baby and look at that. Amazing. Hopefully has a good weekend. Keep cheering !
You aren’t there coaching him?

SInce we’re talking golf. I’ve reached the point where I have to play for money. Could be a little, could be a lot. Doesn’t matter. It helps me grind. Without money I find myself thinking about other things which is very bad for me.

Does anyone else need to play for something when they go out?
I play better when there is money on the line or if it is competition. Unfortunately, a lot of my buddies don’t bet.

I play better when there is money on the line or if it is competition. Unfortunately, a lot of my buddies don’t bet.
We have a core group who don’t mind playing high stakes, but we converted a group of no bettors into bettors if they want to continue to play with us. We just end up playing a slightly smaller stakes game with certain folks. The “converted” realized we end up passing the same $20 around all year long.

I enjoy playing against the course. Structure over agency, if you will. :)

Hey guys (and gals, if any here). I am in a swing reboot: trying to get a good inside out swing, rather than bringing my hands over the top. Also trying to learn to open my left side, not just shift my weight forward. Taking lessons and practicing when I can, but does anyone have any drills (or mantras) to help me.

Hey guys (and gals, if any here). I am in a swing reboot: trying to get a good inside out swing, rather than bringing my hands over the top. Also trying to learn to open my left side, not just shift my weight forward. Taking lessons and practicing when I can, but does anyone have any drills (or mantras) to help me.
Bulldog04

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom