Golf, Golf and more Golf | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Golf, Golf and more Golf

Wow. What a great experience. Very few people ever get to experience playing with a PGA champion on a PGA course. Glad you got that opportunity and wasn't overwhelmed.
Yeah. Very blessed. A bit nervous at first, but I pared #2 and things went well from there. They said next time down, they will take us here. Totally private, but they are friends with head pro. https://www.gcmonline.com/course/environment/news/golden-ocala-replicated-golf-holes#:~:text=Opened 34 years ago, Golden,in Fife, Scotland: No.

Last edited:
Just got back from Sea Island. Played two rounds at Frederica and on at SeaSide. Great tracks.

I have been playing to a 13 for quite some time. Focused on chipping and putting quite a bit in the winter. Barely played, but hit the practice facility a few times. Last two rounds are 77,81 with the 81 at Torrey South. Down to an 11.8 Heading to Kapalua this week for three rounds. Hoping the game is more reflective of recent performance.

Heading for Scotland in a couple weeks. Taking the Queen Mary out of NYC May 1. Some touristy stuff for a few weeks, then three rounds in Inverness, 3 in St Andrews. Hoping it's warmer there than it currently is here, but we'll see. Not too amped up about the Old Course. They want it pristine for the 150th anniversary of The Open, so if you play on it you have to haul a mat around with you and hit off that. We'll put in a ballot but I don't really care to play it that way.

We did our guys trip to reunion in mid-March. Played the 3 courses there and then went off campus and played Orange County National. Consensus was we should have stayed at reunion and played 2 additional rounds there. We liked reunion a lot.

I have been playing to a 13 for quite some time. Focused on chipping and putting quite a bit in the winter. Barely played, but hit the practice facility a few times. Last two rounds are 77,81 with the 81 at Torrey South. Down to an 11.8 Heading to Kapalua this week for three rounds. Hoping the game is more reflective of recent performance.
I’ve been a 12 for about 10 years. I’m unwilling to put in the effort to break through. I don’t have time or energy to make the changes required. I don’t embarrass myself on course. I can make shots, can also have some mental lapses. It’s the random string of double/triples mixed in with string of pars that kill me.

Can’t wait to get going. Our course is open, albeit wet. I missed the nicer weather due to work earlier in week. Today was washout and I don’t dare try golf tomorrow.

We did our guys trip to reunion in mid-March. Played the 3 courses there and then went off campus and played Orange County National. Consensus was we should have stayed at reunion and played 2 additional rounds there. We liked reunion a lot.
Really liked Reunion. Fortunate that we got a round in at Bay Hill. Going to try to go to Stream Song next Fl trip

Really liked Reunion. Fortunate that we got a round in at Bay Hill. Going to try to go to Stream Song next Fl trip
Streamsong is a cool place. Interesting golf for sure. Difficult greens but really unique for Florida golf.

considering the forecast for mon-wed is 4-10 inches of snow around here I am just happy got around in last week.

Do you prefer reunion or Streamsong
Tough one. I suppose for just getting away on a golf trip Streamsong. You are pretty remote and it’s great for a group of guys to play some awesome courses and not have to go anywhere else. Reminds me of Kohler in that way. Reunion is awesome golf and you can get off property end do other things.

To the point above if you haven’t been to Kohler(whistling Straights) I think it is a must do for any fan of golf. 4 awesome courses with different character in each. A bIt out there but you have everything you need.

My brother and I are looking at our next big trip, possibly in June. One option is a 2 week swing starting at Banff, in Alberta, playing our way down (have to look at more courses along the way), playing Chambers Bay, and ending in Bandon Dunes, in Oregon.
Might be just too much, but any insights or experiences to share would be great.

My brother and I are looking at our next big trip, possibly in June. One option is a 2 week swing starting at Banff, in Alberta, playing our way down (have to look at more courses along the way), playing Chambers Bay, and ending in Bandon Dunes, in Oregon.
Might be just too much, but any insights or experiences to share would be great.
ive been to bandon 3 times...fire away

ive been to bandon 3 times...fire away
Heard great things about it. Love to hear any recommendations. Any thoughts on the itinerary I laid out, starting in Banff, and playing down through the Rockies, into Washington, then finishing at Bandon? Thanks.

Last edited:
Heard great things about it. Love to hear any recommendations. Any thoughts on the itinerary I laid out, starting in Banff, and playing down through the Rockies, into Washington, then finishing at Bandon? Thanks.
bandon gets pretty booked so I would reach out to them and book tee times WELL in advance of you going there. I would say spend more time in Bandon than other places. You are going to want at least 5-6 rounds in Bandon. I associate it with dating a super model. all the courses are super models so you want to experience each one as opposed to picking and choosing.

I felt something today that I haven’t felt since becoming a doubles AA in college.

I broke 90 for the first time! Ending on a par five, I sunk a birdie putt from about 12 feet to shoot an 89. Since coming back from my knee injury, I’ve made some huge gains on the course. I attribute it to all the putting and chipping I did during recovery. A so-so showing off the tee was neutralized by some great wedge play 100 and in. I’ve been on cloud 9 all evening.

The funny thing is that I keep looking back at my scorecard and replaying situations and I’ve convinced myself I could have shot an 85 .

Excited to get as much golf in as I can before courses start to shut down! And of course this happens in mid-October and not back in May.

I felt something today that I haven’t felt since becoming a doubles AA in college.

I broke 90 for the first time! Ending on a par five, I sunk a birdie putt from about 12 feet to shoot an 89. Since coming back from my knee injury, I’ve made some huge gains on the course. I attribute it to all the putting and chipping I did during recovery. A so-so showing off the tee was neutralized by some great wedge play 100 and in. I’ve been on cloud 9 all evening.

The funny thing is that I keep looking back at my scorecard and replaying situations and I’ve convinced myself I could have shot an 85 .

Excited to get as much golf in as I can before courses start to shut down! And of course this happens in mid-October and not back in May.

Congrats on your milestone. :)

Congrats. Welcome to the never ending unsatisfied feeling when you walk off the 18th green.

Congrats. Welcome to the never ending unsatisfied feeling when you walk off the 18th green.
Congrats. Thats awesome. Now try and keep doing it. Hardest physically and mentally challenged game to stay focused for four+ hours. Makes it incredible to think that a guy like Freddie Couples can birdie 12 out of 14 holes on his way to a 60 at the age of 63. Every aspect of his game needed to be absolutely perfect. Birdies are not easy, but to be in the zone like that. That's why only a handful of top pros have ever shot sub-60. Everything must be perfect for them. That 85 will hopefully come sooner than later.

Congrats. Thats awesome. Now try and keep doing it. Hardest physically and mentally challenged game to stay focused for four+ hours. Makes it incredible to think that a guy like Freddie Couples can birdie 12 out of 14 holes on his way to a 60 at the age of 63. Every aspect of his game needed to be absolutely perfect. Birdies are not easy, but to be in the zone like that. That's why only a handful of top pros have ever shot sub-60. Everything must be perfect for them. That 85 will hopefully come sooner than later.
I just played 81 holes (27/18/36) in 3 days. The mental part was by far the hardest. The 36 hole day was in the Nicklaus course at reunion. It seemed that with the wind, none of the par 4 holes were reachable for average golfers.
I found my mind unfocused or wondering. My new swing is still a bit mechanical, so I was continually forgetting to get my shoulders turned and start my swing more inside.
My other issue is picking my clubs. When I do everything I am supposed to, I am about 10-15% longer with my clubs than when I don't do it right.

I just played 81 holes (27/18/36) in 3 days. The mental part was by far the hardest. The 36 hole day was in the Nicklaus course at reunion. It seemed that with the wind, none of the par 4 holes were reachable for average golfers.
I found my mind unfocused or wondering. My new swing is still a bit mechanical, so I was continually forgetting to get my shoulders turned and start my swing more inside.
My other issue is picking my clubs. When I do everything I am supposed to, I am about 10-15% longer with my clubs than when I don't do it right.
Love playing 36. Do it often

If you listen to pros they will tell you that coming up short is the biggest issues with amateurs. But I ran into a situation yesterday and it took me way too long to adjust. It was 48 degrees and cold and every shot was about 20 yards shorter than normal. I ended up in five bunkers where I played the same exact course the week before in 64 degrees weather and I was GIR on all those holes. It took me like14 holes, but I finally adjusted. Needless to say, mentally I was not prepared for the conditions.

If you listen to pros they will tell you that coming up short is the biggest issues with amateurs. But I ran into a situation yesterday and it took me way too long to adjust. It was 48 degrees and cold and every shot was about 20 yards shorter than normal. I ended up in five bunkers where I played the same exact course the week before in 64 degrees weather and I was GIR on all those holes. It took me like14 holes, but I finally adjusted. Needless to say, mentally I was not prepared for the conditions.
Yeah. I had one from the the fairway that I went an extra club due to the wind. Problem was I hit it perfectly. The went so far over the green I couldn't find it. That's why they serve alcohol on the course

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom