Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years | Syracusefan.com

Good Article on How Syracuse Missed the Best Player out of CNY in Years

This article is an indictment. Maybe the staff spends too much time with “eyes closed imaging” ...
Great kid and family. Hope he returns a fumble for a TD.

Not to jump the thread but there was an article in the Saratoga paper this morning about Dion Lewis taking a coordinators job with the Albany County Health Department after his retirement from the NFL. Went to Albany High School and Albany Academy then prep. Only offers for college were Miami of Ohio, Tulane and Pitt. Probably slipped through the cracks during the Greg fiasco but still.

Stevie Scott was a bad loss though he was hardly interested in staying anyways.

Only Brian Ward saw his potential. Sigh.

IMO, Babers has overall shown very little interest in the community as a whole. Perhaps growing up a military brat instilled that in him, but othe than offering the CBA FR WR, has there been much attention to the 315?

This is the stuff that only matters when not winning. Totally get this lack of overall talent in the state, but given the types of recruiting classes we’ve had, it would be great to see any tie in debate end in extending the offer.

Oh well.

IMO, Babers has overall shown very little interest in the community as a whole. Perhaps growing up a military brat instilled that in him, but othe than offering the CBA FR WR, has there been much attention to the 315?

This is the stuff that only matters when not winning. Totally get this lack of overall talent in the state, but given the types of recruiting classes we’ve had, it would be great to see any tie in debate end in extending the offer.

Oh well.
The Horan kid from B’Ville. That didn’t work out got him, but I think Babers wanted him and got him.

Tyler Rouse, Tyvon Branch, Gary Gibson, Terry Butler, Jo Lon Dunbar, Latavius Murray, Mike Hart, Paulus Brothers, Will Smith

There have been a handful of OL from section 3 that went to BC.

Pitt grabbed a bunch from Rochester, Syracuse.

Rutgers grabbed a few from up here and Rochester.

As noted Dion Lewis and Albany area kids we seem to never be in on.

Kid from Cato went to Brockport ended up with Bears.

There have been talented kids overlooked, under recruited, or missed for sure.

Also to be fair, a bunch of these kids had no interest in going to SU

Separate question

Do we still have a relationship with Milford, and / or are they still getting top prep prospects?

Tyler Rouse, Tyvon Branch, Gary Gibson, Terry Butler, Jo Lon Dunbar, Latavius Murray, Mike Hart, Paulus Brothers, Will Smith

There have been a handful of OL from section 3 that went to BC.

Pitt grabbed a bunch from Rochester, Syracuse.

Rutgers grabbed a few from up here and Rochester.

As noted Dion Lewis and Albany area kids we seem to never be in on.

Kid from Cato went to Brockport ended up with Bears.

There have been talented kids overlooked, under recruited, or missed for sure.

Also to be fair, a bunch of these kids had no interest in going to SU

Last sentence is the big one IMO.

i don’t care what people say about upstate. You have to use some
resources to guage, follow and secure home grown talent. It’s there. For god sakes our best NFL product in 20 years was from upstate.

Not only do you find diamonds in the rough, you generate community interest and put butts in the seats.

I wonder if our coaches even try to cultivate and visit local high school coaches? If you have close relationships it would seem obvious that the HS coaches would tip you off about a promising prospect or two.

This article is an indictment. Maybe the staff spends too much time with “eyes closed imaging” ...
Great kid and family. Hope he returns a fumble for a TD.
Interesting.

Lol, it’s one player that almost all programs overlooked and Pitt only found by accident.

We have one 315 kid on the two deep. If there was a good amount of talent in the area we would have more. An article about one kid who got away is more an indictment of that fact.
That's the dig

The talent isn't as deep or quality as it was 20-40 years ago, but there still is talent.

Kids from CNY have gone to other programs and done well. Both P5 and G5. Buffalo had a handful of Syracuse / Rochester kids as they improved

The Horan kid from B’Ville. That didn’t work out got him, but I think Babers wanted him and got him.
He was going to be a good player that was to bad .

Section 3 high school football is bad and there’s not a ton of local kids that are diehard fans because we haven’t been good since they’ve been born.

I’m only how I am because I have been going to games with my parents since I was little. I can count on one hand the buddies I have that care even a little bit about Syracuse football.

It is what it is. I don’t think landing more local kids (I’m not counting Rochester/Buffalo) is the difference between consistently mediocre/bad and consistently bowling. Might draw up more fan interest but probably not enough to make much of a difference.

As TrueBlue would say those Florida 3* that are NY 5* are what matters

We have one 315 kid on the two deep. If there was a good amount of talent in the area we would have more. An article about one kid who got away is more an indictment of that fact.
There’s talent to be had.

Perhaps if Syracuse football had a more consistent presence in the community we’d not have seen the rapid decline of highschool football in the region that we have in the past 15 years.

Binghamton, WNY and downstate all have yearly talent.

Section 3 high school football is bad and there’s not a ton of local kids that are diehard fans because we haven’t been good since they’ve been born.

I’m only how I am because I have been going to games with my parents since I was little. I can count on one hand the buddies I have that care even a little bit about Syracuse football.

It is what it is. I don’t think landing more local kids (I’m not counting Rochester/Buffalo) is the difference between consistently mediocre/bad and consistently bowling. Might draw up more fan interest but probably not enough to make much of a difference.

As TrueBlue would say those Florida 3* that are NY 5* are what matters
I argue that Florida talent is starting to become overrated.

Look at all the Florida misses we have had in past fifteen years

That said. You have a better chance of hitting than missing with them

He was going to be a good player that was to bad .
Yeah, I think we would actually have had a pass-catching TE in our offense. A shame things worked out the way they did.