Good Lesson - 1998 Miami Hurricanes | Syracusefan.com

Good Lesson - 1998 Miami Hurricanes

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
You will recall that the Orange murdered the Hurricanes in the final game of the 1998 season.

I think the score was something like 66-13?

What many don't remember was that that Miami team had a number of young players who needed a bit of time to mature and become great.

They included Dan Morgan, Santana Moss, Edgerin James, Ed Reed and a bunch of others.

Within three years those players would transform Miami into perhaps the greatest team in college football history.

Sometimes young players need time. The 2011 Orange is a young team - it will get better.

if I recall that was a rough year for Miami -- not comparing us to them, but it is a valid point

You will recall that the Orange murdered the Hurricanes in the final game of the 1998 season.

What many don't remember was that that Miami team had a number of young players who needed a bit of time to mature and become great.

They included Dan Morgan, Santana Moss, Edgerin James, Ed Reed and a bunch of others.

Within three years those players would transform Miami into perhaps the greatest team in college football history.

Sometimes young players need time. The 2011 Orange is a young team - it will get better.

You're not really comparing the kids on that team to the current Syracuse team are you? I get what your point is, but it doesn't really apply.

2 of the 4 kids you mentioned on that Canes team are going to be in the NFL Hall of Fame. I don't see any future NFL Hall of Fame players on SU currently. Bad comparison.

Thoughtful point...though there is not a ton of youth on the offensive side of the ball. In fact, that is what is frustrating...we didn't lose much from last year, but we have not progressed well with another year under their belts.

I am a believer, but the O is not that young.

I was at that game ... McNabb violated their secondary like a parking meter.

O starters
Upperclassmen 8
Underclassmen 3

D starters
Upperclassmen 7
Underclassmen 4

Not to nitpick, but Edgerin James was a junior that year. Miami seemed to really turn on one player, freshman QB Ken Dorsey in 1999. Offense started to get much more consistent.

But point taken for us on defense, I think we do have a lot of young guys who will be fun to watch in the future. Hopefully the same on offense with guys like Hunt, West, Kobena, Foster, Hale, Gulley, Moore, some of the OL. It seems harder to know right now what we'll have on offense or what system they will even run.

O starters
Upperclassmen 8
Underclassmen 3

D starters
Upperclassmen 7
Underclassmen 4

OFFENSE

X WR 82 Van Chew (6-1, 175, Sr.)
10 Dorian Graham (5-10, 185, Sr.) - RETURNS

LT 67 Justin Pugh (6-6, 292, Jr.) - RETURNS
62 Andrew Phillips (6-6, 279, Jr.) - RETURNS

LG 75 Zack Chibane (6-5, 293, Jr.) - RETURNS
77 Lou Alexander (6-4, 331, Jr.) - RETURNS

C 59 Macky MacPherson (6-2, 269, So.) - RETURNS
55 Rob Trudo (6-3, 300, Fr.) - RETURNS

RG 66 Andrew Tiller (6-5, 334, R-Sr.)
71 Ivan Foy (6-5, 318, Fr.) - RETURNS

RT 74 Michael Hay (6-5, 283, Sr.)
77 Lou Alexander (6-4, 329, Jr.)

Y TE 80 Nick Provo (6-4, 249, R-Sr.)
85 Beckett Wales (6-3, 253, So.) - RETURNS

Z WR 15 Alec Lemon (6-2, 202, Jr.) - RETURNS
88 Jarrod West (6-2, 204, So.) - RETURNS

QB 12 Ryan Nassib (6-2, 229, Sr.) - RETURNS
17 Charley Loeb (6-4, 212, Jr.) - RETURNS

H 29 Antwon Bailey (5-7, 201, Sr.)
45 Jerome Smith (5-11, 215, So.) - RETURNS

F 49 Adam Harris (6-2, 248, Sr.) - RETURNS
34 Tombe Kose (5-9, 240, Sr.)

15 of 21 players on this week's two deep.

Gulley and Hickey return from injury, and lets hope Sales is back. I assume Carl Cutler will be back in the mix somewhere to.

Fully agree. I post earlier this season that we'll essentially be rooting for this team this year and the next and it will be fun to see them "grow up". This is especially true of the defense, which lost most of last year's starters.

I also recognize that you are not comparing talent level or claiming that we will be the greatest team ever in a couple of years.
Watching young players mature is the pleasure of college sports.

Wash, rinse, repeat for 12 years now. Go find a coach with a track record of success as a HC and I will show you when we are good again. Enough is enough, I for one am tired of rolling the dice. Doug Marrone has flat out stunk this year. STUNK.

Didn't that Miami team go on the following week to beat undefeated UCLA led by Cade McNown crushing their hopes of a NC ? They weren't that bad they weren't great either. We just played great.

2 of the 4 kids you mentioned on that Canes team are going to be in the NFL Hall of Fame. I don't see any future NFL Hall of Fame players on SU currently. Bad comparison.

I think his point is, if it takes NFL HOF caliber players to develop, why would we assume our players would develop more quickly?

Didn't that Miami team go on the following week to beat undefeated UCLA led by Cade McNown crushing their hopes of a NC ? They weren't that bad they weren't great either. We just played great.

They were 9-3 and did beat an awesome UCLA team. That team was stacked with talent. The starting WRs were Moss and Wayne. Their RBs were Edge, James Jackson and Najeh Davenport. The young guys they had were insanely talented.

So if we had a whole slew of game-changing athletes waiting in the wings coming off a 9 win season, I would be fine giving Marrone more time as well.

LOL. You are like the PR guy for saddam hussein who is saying all is well and that the iraqi forces have complete control while the US tanks drive past.

I know you dont know this, and I know that if you did it would not matter, but the '97 recruiting class at miami is often considered the greatest class in miami history (others will tell you it was the '99 class). and all of miami's classes are much better than ours.

So you are asking people to take you seriously whilst comparing marrone's class of...well, kids that no one wanted but the MAC...to one of the greatest classes ever assembled?

How do you expect serious people to respond to posts like this?

this is painful to witness.

LOL. You are like the PR guy for saddam hussein who is saying all is well and that the iraqi forces have complete control while the US tanks drive past.

I know you dont know this, and I know that if you did it would not matter, but the '97 recruiting class at miami is often considered the greatest class in miami history (others will tell you it was the '99 class). and all of miami's classes are much better than ours.

So you are asking people to take you seriously whilst comparing marrone's class of...well, kids that no one wanted but the MAC...to one of the greatest classes ever assembled?

or the fact that we have been hearing this nonsense for 7-8 years now.. we just need to keep trying!! that is it

or the fact that we have been hearing this nonsense for 7-8 years now.. we just need to keep trying!! that is it

I am sorry - cant respond to this right now because I am still laughing that OrangePA compared us to the recruiting class comprised of santana moss and dan morgan (maybe my fav non-su player of all time), and reggie wayne. yep, we are just like them!

I kinda get what you're trying to do OPA, but man oh man oh man, comparing us to the '98 'Canes is beyond ridiculous.

As others aptly pointed out, that was a very good team. Only losses were by 7 to Va Tech (9-3), by 12 to Florida State (11-2), and the blowout vs. SU. They were 9-3, beat undefeated UCLA, and whipped NC State in their bowl game.

A "developmental" year for them would have ranked among SU's top 10 all-time seasons!

Wow, IB joins up with ST - with a Saddam Huessein reference - to attack an innocent and positive observation.

I am depressed.

Yeah, and that great recruting class was murdered by the Orange.

I guess it was poor coaching by the Miami staff, right?

I am sorry - cant respond to this right now because I am still laughing that OrangePA compared us to the recruiting class comprised of santana moss and dan morgan (maybe my fav non-su player of all time), and reggie wayne. yep, we are just like them!

Actually I didn't compare the talent.

I observed that sometimes talent, no matter how good, needs time to exhibit itself on the field.

I figured that that aspect of the post was obvious.

What I guess is more obvious is that you are unable to laugh and type at the same time.

Pitty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom