Good...not Great | Syracusefan.com

Good...not Great

SU in Hershey

Starter
The score indicates a blowout and we played well, but Louisville certainly helped us with a continuance of their poor play.

I would have loved to see a well-oiled machine put up 70+ points on Louisville, and they were there to be had. To see everything clicking and as perfect as could be would be one of two ways I'd have liked to see us enter next weekend's game.

But with this outcome, we are poised to be confident but not over confident. There are a lot of things for the coaches to clean up and demand focus from the team if we are going to beat ND. And because there is clearly improvement to be had, and a tremendous opportunity to make a HUGE statement on the national stage, I think the team will continue to make strides and fulfill Dino's vision and this teams destiny as the team that turned it around for SU Football.

Let's Go Orange! Beat Notre Dame!

The score indicates a blowout and we played well, but Louisville certainly helped us with a continuance of their poor play.

I would have loved to see a well-oiled machine put up 70+ points on Louisville, and they were there to be had. To see everything clicking and as perfect as could be would be one of two ways I'd have liked to see us enter next weekend's game.

But with this outcome, we are poised to be confident but not over confident. There are a lot of things for the coaches to clean up and demand focus from the team if we are going to beat ND. And because there is clearly improvement to be had, and a tremendous opportunity to make a HUGE statement on the national stage, I think the team will continue to make strides and fulfill Dino's vision and this teams destiny as the team that turned it around for SU Football.

Let's Go Orange! Beat Notre Dame!

Hey Hershey, go grab a Snickers...it may give you better perspective, at least according to some of the usual suspects in last nights game thread. ;):)

That’s the negative reframed as a positive I’m taking from last night. Our offense ran the ball well but the passing game was pretty bad while having constant red zone penalties.

Lots of stuff for our coaches to laser focus the team on going into ND.

louisville dropped passes that were easy first downs. they dropped a couple interceptions and dropped the ball running with no contact whatsoever. and the penalties ! unprecedented. the reason we blocked the field goal was becuz the cards backed themselves up after a long scramble from a chip shot to a 50 yarder with a 15 yarder pf and a dumb sack. changed the trajectory of the kick and changed the direction of the game.

Hey Hershey, go grab a Snickers...it may give you better perspective, at least according to some of the usual suspects in last nights game thread. ;):)

images

:):cool::)

That’s the negative reframed as a positive I’m taking from last night. Our offense ran the ball well but the passing game was pretty bad while having constant red zone penalties.

Lots of stuff for our coaches to laser focus the team on going into ND.

EXACTLY my point!

Can't argue with the score. Lots of bright spots but lots of things upon which to improve.

Dungey was clearly looking to run and a lot of receivers were open. Again, hard to argue with 326 rushing yards.
On the interception on the pass to Custis there was a receiver wide open on the right side who could have walked in- Dungey never looked at him. Wondered if Dungey focused on trying to get Custis a TD on Senior Day. Threw into double (triple?) coverage.

For almost all if the 1st half Eric never looked to the left side of the field. Head scratching.

The defense was clearly the star in this one. Cisco Kid had 5 interceptions. We have had seasons when the whole team hasn't had 5.

The biggest take away for me was beating a bad team by 31 with our C game.

This team doesn't quit - except for cable.

louisville dropped passes that were easy first downs. they dropped a couple interceptions and dropped the ball running with no contact whatsoever. and the penalties ! unprecedented. the reason we blocked the field goal was becuz the cards backed themselves up after a long scramble from a chip shot to a 50 yarder with a 15 yarder pf and a dumb sack. changed the trajectory of the kick and changed the direction of the game.

They were about an inch from blocking an early punt too.

Even though it was senior night, these are still college kids. They had to play an awful team a week before the biggest game of their lives. The emotions can be impossible to control.

They were about an inch from blocking an early punt too.

Even though it was senior night, these are still college kids. They had to play an awful team a week before the biggest game of their lives. The emotions can be impossible to control.

Agreed. And despite all that, with a game that I would grade as a B to B+ for our team, we still won by 31 because Louisville Football is a motorcycle-wreck ("dumpster fire" has been taken). But, that same effort/performance against ND will not get it done, and the coaches will drive that point home this week.

Can't argue with the score. Lots of bright spots but lots of things upon which to improve.

Dungey was clearly looking to run and a lot of receivers were open. Again, hard to argue with 326 rushing yards.
On the interception on the pass to Custis there was a receiver wide open on the right side who could have walked in- Dungey never looked at him. Wondered if Dungey focused on trying to get Custis a TD on Senior Day. Threw into double (triple?) coverage.

For almost all if the 1st half Eric never looked to the left side of the field. Head scratching.

The defense was clearly the star in this one. Cisco Kid had 5 interceptions. We have had seasons when the whole team hasn't had 5.

The biggest take away for me was beating a bad team by 31 with our C game.

This team doesn't quit - except for cable.

Great win and we are really happy at 8-2. However our offense must be better in the next two games, seems an odd thing to say after scoring so many points, but almost all were on a short field because of Louisville mistakes. I doubt we can count on those gifts from ND or BC. Offensive efficiency must be better going forward.

Agreed. And despite all that, with a game that I would grade as a B to B+ for our team, we still won by 31 because Louisville Football is a motorcycle-wreck ("dumpster fire" has been taken). But, that same effort/performance against ND will not get it done, and the coaches will drive that point home this week.

I think a B is kind, wish you were one of my professors. But we’re good enough to overcome and Louisville is bad enough to help any team overcome.

I think a B is kind, wish you were one of my professors. But we’re good enough to overcome and Louisville is bad enough to help any team overcome.

A- Specials (Riley fumble)
A- Running game (fumbles again)
C Passing game
A Defensive Line
B Linebackers (some "gifts" from Louisville and some missed assignments that led to unnecessary big plays that ultimately didn't hurt us too much)
B Secondary (see LB comment, and we were "thin" due to injuries as well))
B+ Coaching

My VERY amateur grading. Do you think I am way off on anything? Or, am I just a little too lenient?

C Passing game
A Defensive Line
B Linebackers (some "gifts" from Louisville and some missed assignments that led to unnecessary big plays that ultimately didn't hurt us too much)
B+ Coaching

My VERY amateur grading. Do you think I am way off on anything? Or, am I just a little too lenient?

I just thought we had a C to C+ kind of game. Basing that off what I know we're capable of. I didn't really break it down though.

I'm probably a harsh grader.

[QUOTE="Crusty, post: 2772100, member: This team doesn't quit - except for cable.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else yell “OUR HOUSE!” during that commercial?

I just thought we had a C to C+ kind of game. Basing that off what I know we're capable of. I didn't really break it down though.

I'm probably a harsh grader.

Maybe I grade like it's a regular class and you grade it like an Honors class. And that is probably where the bar should be at this point, don't you think?

"Good not great" is exactly the right perspective, and a far better assessment than some of the crap thrown out after the game last night.

I'm sorry if pointing that out hurt your feelings - if so, maybe you're the one who needs the Snickers.

C Passing game
A Defensive Line
B+ Coaching

Don't think the LB and secondary can get better than Cs. They constantly were out if their lanes, missed assignments and tailed to get off blocks. When we get gashed for huge runs by QBs including second stringer. THREE times hard to give them a better grade.
Offensive failure in the red zone is problematic.

Again, good win with what I think was our C game. A game gets us 80.

They played a C game. Dungey could have thrown three interceptions instead of one. The passing game has been bad for the last two weeks. The defense bends but doesn't break. They came up with timely turnovers. Can't play down to your competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom