Good Read:The Future of Football | Syracusefan.com

Good Read:The Future of Football

There may be 5-15 minutes per practice week where we're 100% live, and, that's usually very early on in the season.

The vast majority of coaches are looking to minimize injuries, not, tackle to make you tough. That thought process is largely gone from the collegiate game.

Unfortunately, I still see it quite a bit at the high school level. I attribute this to lower levels of exposure and education. I think a lot of guys would make the right decision if they understood what the right decision was.

If you're not trying to adapt, you're an idiot. The game's going to change, it's inevitable. You can either be at the forefront of it, or, drag your feet, kicking and screaming. The end result will be the same.

I like the article, robots though??? Lol.

There may be 5-15 minutes per practice week where we're 100% live, and, that's usually very early on in the season.

The vast majority of coaches are looking to minimize injuries, not, tackle to make you tough. That thought process is largely gone from the collegiate game.

Unfortunately, I still see it quite a bit at the high school level. I attribute this to lower levels of exposure and education. I think a lot of guys would make the right decision if they understood what the right decision was.

If you're not trying to adapt, you're an idiot. The game's going to change, it's inevitable. You can either be at the forefront of it, or, drag your feet, kicking and screaming. The end result will be the same.

Robots, though? LOL It sounds like the reaction Dartmouth's opponents probably had. How did it work out for them?

Seems to be working for them. They get more reps working on technique and their defensive numbers have improved across the board.

Nice, well written, article (though I've only read 40% of it, so far).
Good to read about the impetuses to Teevens' plan.

If you can limit full contact to games and a couple of scrimmages in the Spring and Summer then that's got to be a plus. It's going to be a struggle convincing some of the meatheads. :(

Hopefully this will spread, especially at the high school level. I'm not sure this is feasible, due to expense, at the Pee Wee level.

Nice, well written, article (though I've only read 40% of it, so far).
Good to read about the impetuses to Teevens' plan.

If you can limit full contact to games and a couple of scrimmages in the Spring and Summer then that's got to be a plus. It's going to be a struggle convincing some of the meatheads. :(

Hopefully this will spread, especially at the high school level. I'm not sure this is feasible, due to expense, at the Pee Wee level.
I've got a friend that has a personal training and sports conditioning business. I think he's got some sort of youth sports conditioning certification and has made it somewhat of a personal mission to end the stupidity in youth conditioning with regard to trying to treat them like professionals. He read some stuff suggesting that all tackling should be held until 8th or 9th grade and that long term it does not hurt player development. Incidentally he is constantly dealing with push back from parents and coaches in all kinds of sports that refuse to believe they are running their kids into the ground, regardless of how much research he shows them.

I've got a friend that has a personal training and sports conditioning business. I think he's got some sort of youth sports conditioning certification and has made it somewhat of a personal mission to end the stupidity in youth conditioning with regard to trying to treat them like professionals. He read some stuff suggesting that all tackling should be held until 8th or 9th grade and that long term it does not hurt player development. Incidentally he is constantly dealing with push back from parents and coaches in all kinds of sports that refuse to believe they are running their kids into the ground, regardless of how much research he shows them.

He's got an uphill battle. My older son's not really a sports guy but my younger son has some athleticisim (not from dad, in all likelihood) and it's funny. He played in a few baseball clinics (basically afterschool camps 1x a week) and I had two different baseball academy coaches trying to talk me into getting him in their programs. Then he plays basic rec soccer and people are shocked that I'm not either having him play up a level (at least) or get him onto a more serious select team and basically play year round.

I share that not to brag -- I honestly don't know that he's going to be that much of an athlete when all is said and done -- but to simply point out how quickly youth sports get serious these days.

As an aside, I played sports (relatively poorly) all the way through high school and the most fun I ever had was the relaxed youth sports we played and the pickup games we had. By the time we got to organized sports with coaches and schedules and drills and all that crap, it was still fun to be part of a team and to play the games, but practices were for the most part, a mundane necessity.

Seems to be working for them. They get more reps working on technique and their defensive numbers have improved across the board.

This is the really interesting part. It seems like most teams are constantly trying to figure out how to improve their tackling (cuse obviously included). Hard not to wonder if maybe a format like this answers some of those questions without resorting back to having kids running into each other all day every day.

Note: Kind of surprised they didn't talk about S&C at all. I wonder about a lot of that too with injuries -- how many of these kids are taking legal or illegal substances in high school and/or college and then getting themselves jacked up with .04% body fat only to be done in by injuries all the time. Babers lean muscle focus will be interesting to watch from an injury standpoint the next few years.

This is the really interesting part. It seems like most teams are constantly trying to figure out how to improve their tackling (cuse obviously included). Hard not to wonder if maybe a format like this answers some of those questions without resorting back to having kids running into each other all day every day.

Note: Kind of surprised they didn't talk about S&C at all. I wonder about a lot of that too with injuries -- how many of these kids are taking legal or illegal substances in high school and/or college and then getting themselves jacked up with .04% body fat only to be done in by injuries all the time. Babers lean muscle focus will be interesting to watch from an injury standpoint the next few years.
From what my friend has researched, he feels that there is a need to shift from the brute strength/power approach toward a functional movement/mobility/balanced strength approach. Within his programs there is room for the power building stuff like Olympic lifts, squats, and deads, but it's balanced. I think that stuff is at least starting to transition into college, it may even be prevalent, but at the youth level it's not. An article I read, it may have been posted on here, seemed to indicate that's the way Stanford works with good results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom