Goodine starts from day one! | Syracusefan.com

Goodine starts from day one!

20Plus

I hope Goodine at that one from day one!

Who’s your point guard next year running the show ?

Joe G
I talk to somebody Sunday who seen Joe play a lot and I came away thinking it was Joe as well! Especially because buddy is going to get a lot of minutes at the two and he can’t play the three.

But I think a goodine is a higher talent

Shocked if not Carey
Agreed, I think the year in the program is going to help tremendously, and he will have something to prove against the freshman in pre season practice.

Carey. Feel like he will have a big offseason where JB hands him the full reigns

I know for sure it'll be someone. Who? Who cares right now. Spring is here. Will worry about it in October.

It's going to be a great competition next year!

Buddy is the most proven returnee at guard, except for maybe Eli Hughes.

Carey is an outstanding defender up top. Buddy is not. He's learning passing lanes, but he's not shutting down elite guards. Maybe in a year or two, but not next year. He has much more S&C to do.

Defense gets young players on the floor for JB. I think Carey will be the starter. Buddy might start; it depends on Goodine and Girard. Girard has "in the gym range". He and Buddy could be a natural backcourt with a ball handler against a zone. Put Carey in there with them to distribute and we would light up a zone defense!

Goodine is still learning how to play PG. He is still a combo guard. He might be Dion. He might be Scoop. He might be an athletic freak who can't really play point. He might be Hamidou Diallo. I hope he's more of a team player, but with Carey and Buddy (and Washington) having a lot of time in the system, it's hard to say how elite Goodine's talent may be.

If we are really deep at forward - Brissett, Marek, Braswell and Guerrier. Does Eli play the shooting guard? The competition might be between Eli, Buddy and Brycen Goodine at the 2 guard. I think it's Carey, then Girard, then Washington at the PG.

I still think we sign at least 1 more kid. If it's the Dutch kid, I hope we take 2. We need a sizable rim defender in the worst way for this team next year.

Last edited:
There's a long time between now and next season. LGO

Recruiting balance is off. Too many G's not enough 4-5's.
JC Buddy JG3 Goodine Washington Hughes. 6 Guards.

Recruiting balance is off. Too many G's not enough 4-5's.
JC Buddy JG3 Goodine Washington Hughes. 6 Guards.
saying it doesn't make it so
elijah hughes played close to zero minutes at guard at syracuse & ecu combined. counting his season at ecu, he has played many more minutes as a big forward than he has as a guard

so that's 5 guards

we have hughes, oshae, marek, braswell and guerrier as forwards 5 forwards

we will have bourama, marek, and jba as centers. 3 centers

unless you are practicing some kind of new math with which i am unfamiliar, that does not look like an unbalanced roster

Last edited:
elijah hughes played close to zero minutes at guard at syracuse & ecu combined. counting his season at ecu, he has played many more minutes as a big forward than he has as a guard

This “Hughes is a/should be a guard” narrative is one of the weirder ones I’ve seen on here.

This “Hughes is a/should be a guard” narrative is one of the weirder ones I’ve seen on here.

If it gets the best 5 players on the floor, you may see it at times next year.
After all, even Rafael Addison got time at guard his senior year.

Which, hopefully is being differentiated from the "Hughes could be a guard" narrative.

so that's 5 guards

we have hughes, oshae, marek, braswell and guerrier as forwards 5 forwards

we will have bourama, marek, and jba as centers. 3 centers

unless you are practicing some kind of new math with which i am unfamiliar, that does not look like an unbalanced roster

We still need a real center. JBA is a stretch 4 and is not that explosive, not a rim protector.

Sidibe, if he can finally recover his health, could start. I was hoping he would have been better this year, so I'm concerned that might turn into another DuJuan Coleman, and we never see him healthy. It's either next fall or never, in my book.

Marek makes the offense go, but really, he shouldn't be guarding the middle of the zone for more than 10 minutes a game.

We need a bouncy guy who blocks shots in the worst way. If he can make a dunk and a layup, then so much the better.

Which, hopefully is being differentiated from the "Hughes could be a guard" narrative.

It comes down to Goodine and Carey. If neither of them are consistent enough, Hughes may get some time there.

It comes down to Goodine and Carey. If neither of them are consistent enough, Hughes may get some time there.

I want to qualify this by stating up front that I expect Buddy to start. Kid had a good year, he played a ton, he's a great shooter, he's the coach's kid, etc. -- he almost certainly starts at 2.

That obligatory qualifier aside, I think that the main question for the lineup is: how good is Quincy Guerrier, and does he need to be out on the floor? If he isn't the stud I think he potentially might be, then he'll have to earn PT as a reserve. Hughes starts at 3, Buddy starts at 2.

But if he's really good, then I could foresee a starting lineup with Guerrier / Brissett at forward. Which in turn could have a cascade effect to the 2. Maybe under that set of circumstances, Hughes slides to 2 and Buddy continues to come off the bench, albeit playing a lot of minutes and being the team's sixth man who comes in for a lot of different players, and just has the lineup adjust depending on who's removed.

Again, I understand fully well intellectually that Buddy is JB's son, and is the likely starter at the 2. But in the interest of getting the "best 5" out there, per IMatt's post above, then Hughes at 2 could [emphasis on "could"] be something we see.

I 100% agree that what happens at PG and what happens at C are the two other big questions for the team.

You could have posted this a year ago titled Carey starts from Day One!
- and been no less mistaken about it.

How often does a Frosh PG come in and unseat another player with experience in the system??

Goodine, like Carey, was/is a HS combo guard trying to morph into a PG.
We've had very mixed results with that:

Scoop - pretty good. I like him and his game more than most fans.
RoboTriche - good. Solid 4 year career both on and off the ball.
MCW - very good.
Silent G - pretty good
Kaleb - unmitigated disaster.
Frank Howard - meh; although good defensively when healthy/motivated.
Carey - TBD/incomplete

JGIII is more from the GMac mold, but still not an actual PG.
And as amazing a shooter as he is, he was mostly "just a guy" on the City Rocks team vs elite talent.
Does he have the handles/vision, and most importantly - can he D up vs P5 guards?

I want to qualify this by stating up front that I expect Buddy to start. Kid had a good year, he played a ton, he's a great shooter, he's the coach's kid, etc. -- he almost certainly starts at 2.

That obligatory qualifier aside, I think that the main question for the lineup is: how good is Quincy Guerrier, and does he need to be out on the floor? If he isn't the stud I think he potentially might be, then he'll have to earn PT as a reserve. Hughes starts at 3, Buddy starts at 2.

But if he's really good, then I could foresee a starting lineup with Guerrier / Brissett at forward. Which in turn could have a cascade effect to the 2. Maybe under that set of circumstances, Hughes slides to 2 and Buddy continues to come off the bench, albeit playing a lot of minutes and being the team's sixth man who comes in for a lot of different players, and just has the lineup adjust depending on who's removed.

Again, I understand fully well intellectually that Buddy is JB's son, and is the likely starter at the 2. But in the interest of getting the "best 5" out there, per IMatt's post above, then Hughes at 2 could [emphasis on "could"] be something we see.

I 100% agree that what happens at PG and what happens at C are the two other big questions for the team.

I love Buddy as a player. But I don't think he's ready to be a starter yet, just from a physical standpoint. We kind of saw that in the tournament game. He was a step slow getting out on shooters when he had to play a whole game, and his lack of acceleration was evident. And if he misses his first couple shots, he tends to get down on himself a bit, and it can snowball. We've seen games like that.

On the one hand, yes, Buddy is the coach's son, and he certainly had a great freshman year, shot lights out in conference play and was developing a midrange game and a better handle as the season went on.

On the other hand, JB isn't going to expose his son if it's not going well. Buddy got some DNPs against more athletic competition early in the year while Carey got his chance. I think JB sees Buddy's talent about as objectively as a guy could in his situation.

Buddy might start. If Goodine is "all that", Buddy might be better suited to coming off the bench and being our Microwave next year. Either way, I see him, Carey and Goodine all playing around 20-25 minutes a game, with Girard getting some time as a zone buster, like Buddy started out this past season.

If Goodine struggles to adapt because his handle isn't good enough to play some point, and if Carey goes through a stretch where he is a turnover machine, that might be when we see a Buddy-Hughes backcourt, or Buddy, Hughes and Girard sharing the duties of bringing up the ball in certain situations.

I talk to somebody Sunday who seen Joe play a lot and I came away thinking it was Joe as well! Especially because buddy is going to get a lot of minutes at the two and he can’t play the three.

But I think a goodine is a higher talent
If the backcourt minutes go mostly to joe, buddy, and Washington it would be our least athletic zone up top since 1996. Since JB favors defense I think it’s goodine and Carey’s job to lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom