GOT Megathread (Spoiler Free Edition) | Syracusefan.com

GOT Megathread (Spoiler Free Edition)

CuseCPT

All Conference
Since we have multiple threads going, and probably not enough traffic to warrant a thread per episode I figured I'd start this.

Feel free to react, criticize and speculate but don't be an @$$ and drop spoilers, from the books or otherwise.

Anyone else thinking Tyrion's going to go with trial by combat with Oberyn squaring off with The Mountain as champions?

Since we have multiple threads going, and probably not enough traffic to warrant a thread per episode I figured I'd start this.

Feel free to react, criticize and speculate but don't be an @$$ and drop spoilers, from the books or otherwise.

Anyone else thinking Tyrion's going to go with trial by combat with Oberyn squaring off with The Mountain as champions?

Right now the show is ahead of me in the books and curse me for opening Cali's thread so I'm on board with a non spoiler GOT thread.

I like the speculation on tyrion but its an interesting selection of judges so I'm not sure he'd choose trial by combat. I could see tyrell and oberyn siding with tyrion.

As a book reader, I love reading these kind of prognostications about the show. Hope this thread takes off.

Has anyone here read the Dunk and Egg prequels to ASOIAF? Some very interesting hints as to the true family lineage of certain characters.

i read an interview in april's vanity fair wherein the shows co-creators david benioff and dan weiss recount a story about meeting author george rr. martin for lunch to discuss the project.

"to test their knowledge and brainpower , martin asked benioff and weiss , "who is jon snow's real mother ?"
he was referring to a bastard character whose mother has remained a mystery , even to those who have read all the books so far published. after a nerve-wracking silence benioff and weiss , who had discussed the issue of jon snow's parentage in detail , offered their guess. (they would not reveal what it was) the answer was satisfactory to martin, and he gave them his blessing."

Last edited:
This discourse naturally invites the more important question about Jon Snow...

I have a strange gut feeling Jon Snow is a big-time contender for the Iron Throne, and possibly will hookup with Dany at some point.

I have a strange gut feeling Jon Snow is a big-time contender for the Iron Throne, and possibly will hookup with Dany at some point.
90f558fd456c7903b4f987bf1ff108b737b4af7f380825cebb7cf04af63f34be.jpg

Seriously, your intuition is accurate. Snow is not who we believe him to be.

I've always thought that Snow was high born but wouldn't that still make him a bastard bstrd and wouldn't his only claim be to the Stark throne - king of he north? Or could he claim his mothers' family?

Haven't thought much of who the mother is but one might have to go trace Ned Starks war campaigns and see where he was.

I've also figured jon snow would hook up win dearneys at some point.

Last edited:
While the books haven't explicitly told us about Jon's parentage, the TV show has given a few more clues and hat tips to book readers this season.

On this subject of the Joffrey killingDiana Rigg's character all but confessed to killing Joffrey in last night's episode. Little finger may have provided the poison but I'm thinking she delivered it to Joffrey's mouth.What wouls they do do to granny? She might off herself from any execution style death. I might be tempted to write that story if I was on staff. It fills the need for Cirisi's revenge while Tyrion lives on.Sansa is still in danger as a possible accomplice. Daddy Lannister is still a threat to Tyrion's love for his whore and probably become a target. for elimination. Arya's story line looks to be getting more complicated and I hope her virtue isn't given to "The Hound" I have no idea how her character will live on or even if it does. No thoughts on how she fits in. Jon Snow's story ois on the upswing.

I've always thought that Snow was high born but wouldn't that still make him a bstrd and wouldn't his only claim be to the Stark throne - king of he north?
His mother's family is immaterial. He has a claim to Winterfell, but dwarfed by the other claim he might make.

While the books haven't explicitly told us about Jon's parentage, the TV show has given a few more clues and hat tips to book readers this season.
Season 04 has veered far off the tracks into fan fiction. Unacceptable IMO, but if the producers can at least attempt to reconcile E03 and E04 events with canon then fine. In large part this poor pacing and relative disconnect is due to the showrunner's inability (or disinclination) to properly translate events for consumption by viewers. Odd, in light of their success in seasons 01 - 03. This said, one might also lay blame at GRRM's callused toes for tectonic pacing on TWOW and ADOS.

Is it me or did I miss an entire episode. When did the kids get over the wall and make it all the way to Crastors? I was like what the heck, how they get there?

Last edited:
Is it me or did I miss an entire episode. When did the kids get over the wall and make it all the way to Crastors? I was like what the heck, how they get there?
They went through a passage under the wall at the end of last season, when they met Sam and Gilly.

I've gone through a lot of the families and I'm not finding any potential connections to Jon's mother possibly being highborn. I wondered if he could be linked to the Dornish houses but the potential women candidates are thin. Same with the other nobel houses.

If a highborn women hid a pregancy and gave the kid to Ned - hiding the pregnancy would be tough. If she was already married they would've had to fake the babies death I would think.

According to some timelines I've found, Ned was 18/19 when Jon was born. Would assume a highborn mother was of the same age unless it was a house 'servant' as rumored or a whore. What are the theories - and please no spoilers.

Ned - born 264, died 298 (age 34)
Jon - born 283

I've gone through a lot of the families and I'm not finding any potential connections to Jon's mother possibly being highborn. I wondered if he could be linked to the Dornish houses but the potential women candidates are thin. Same with the other nobel houses.

If a highborn women hid a pregancy and gave the kid to Ned - hiding the pregnancy would be tough. If she was already married they would've had to fake the babies death I would think.

According to some timelines I've found, Ned was 18/19 when Jon was born. Would assume a highborn mother was of the same age unless it was a house 'servant' as rumored or a whore. What are the theories - and please no spoilers.

Ned - born 264, died 298 (age 34)
Jon - born 283
I can't really get into the theories without spoilers...but the one BIG theory is that Jon isn't Ned's son, but is still a Stark who Ned took in to protect him from people who may want to do him harm based on who his parents really were, and the enemies that one of those parents had.

I really hope this theory is true, because the implications are massive.

And just in case you're wondering about this theory - and again, it's only a theory, so these probably don't count as spoilers but just in case, POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD...

...one of the prevailing theories is that Jon is the son of Lyssa Stark, Ned's sister, and Rhaegar Targaeryen, the son of the Mad King. Lyssa was Robert Baratheon's one true love, as you might remember, and he's also the one who killed Rhaegar's father to claim the throne for himself. So you can see why this would complicate things for little Jon, and why it makes sense that Ned would take him under his protection and raise him as his own, without ever getting into who his mother actually was. It also seems to be the only way Ned would ever have a "b astar d" of his own, since he was clearly not the type of man to have an affair. This also means that Jon is part Targaeryen, if true, which is why a lot of people think it'll ultimately be Jon who "wins" the Game of Thrones since he quite possibly ties the Starks and Targaeryen houses together through his lineage.

Again, this is all speculation, not a single shred of it is backed up by anything in the books...yet.

Last edited:
(I didn't read your spoiler)...I hadn't considered he was not Ned's kid. That would certainly change things. I did almost wonder for a split second if he was a product of incest with Lyanna Stark but dismissed it - not the Stark style. I tried to fit Ned and Elia Targaryean together but that would've been hard based on her history. Same with a Baratheon women but there are none.

I suppose he could be a Lyanna Stark / Rheagar Targaryean product. If Targaryean kidnapped her because he was so obssessed with her beauty he almost certainly would've raped her. Which makes a lot of sense now.

Obviously massive implications. Would also make Jon, Daereny's half brother. very cool.

Wonder at this point how Jon could find out - Maester Aemon? One thing I've always believed is that there was a reason for Maestor Aemon Targaryen's favoritism towards Jon at Castle Black. I thought it was because of lineage - w/a Targaryean mother though - not the other way around.

Last edited:
And yeah I meant Lyanna, not Lyssa. Brain fart...

Also, your post lays out the exact speculation in my spoilery section.

Last edited:
There's a sequence that wasn't in the TV series, but in the books (A Game of Thrones), where Ned is in a fevered dream while in the black cells awaiting his execution. It goes back to a time during Robert's Rebellion after Rhaegar was killed by Robert on the Trident. Ned and 6 companions play out a scene through memory that really lays out what many believe to be the story of Jon's birth. The presence of certain characters and their positions in their trade give some pretty big giveaways as to the prominence of what had happened in a place called "The Tower of Joy" in the Dornish Mountains.

There's a sequence that wasn't in the TV series, but in the books (A Game of Thrones), where Ned is in a fevered dream while in the black cells awaiting his execution. It goes back to a time during Robert's Rebellion after Rhaegar was killed by Robert on the Trident. Ned and 6 companions play out a scene through memory that really lays out what many believe to be the story of Jon's birth. The presence of certain characters and their positions in their trade give some pretty big giveaways as to the prominence of what had happened in a place called "The Tower of Joy" in the Dornish Mountains.

I don't remember that in the books.

I don't remember that in the books.
I've got the location wrong, it was before he was imprisoned -- the chapter after he is injured battling with Jaime and his men in King's Landing.

Thankfully he won't be up against the buzzsaw that is Cranston for best actor. I think Tyrion qualifies as a supporting character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom