GoT Season 8 | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

GoT Season 8

I am planning to rewatch GoT soon. I know the last season was a massive blunder overall but I will be curious what other takeaways I have of the show as a whole. As I posted above, I watched this all basically after it was all finished up.

Oh, and the early pages of this thread are great when you compare to the later ones...
I enjoyed the last season...I think. What did I say a few pages above?

Binged this show in the last month. Really was drawn in during the first season (watched with cousin who had seen it already and helped explain a tad without spoilers). Hard to follow some stuff as I went on through the seasons with so many characters. Overall I enjoyed it but can see why people didn’t like the last season or that it was rushed. I probably would have liked it a bit more overall if I didn’t have spoilers. I had an idea at least of who was still around by the last few episodes. I feel the white walkers had so much potential but you really don’t get nearly enough which is weird.

Breaking bad still ahead for me.
Yeah I did the same. I had never watched a minute of GOT. So I started watching sn 1 ep 1 on the Sunday night that the first episode of the last season began. It was almost exactly 2 years ago now that I think about it. Over the next month I binged every episode until I caught up and was able to watch the series finale live. It had the potential to be my favorite show if not for the last season. But I wasn’t nearly disappointed in it as most fans. Probably because I watched it all in a month and wasn’t emotionally invested for 8 years like others.

I did the same thing with Homeland last year. Started the very first episode on the night of the season premiere and binged all the way until the series finale. That show had a great ending though.

I am planning to rewatch GoT soon. I know the last season was a massive blunder overall but I will be curious what other takeaways I have of the show as a whole. As I posted above, I watched this all basically after it was all finished up.

Oh, and the early pages of this thread are great when you compare to the later ones...
Forget about “massive blunder” comments. Even at its worst, GoT is leagues above anything that has ever been done before.

Forget about “massive blunder” comments. Even at its worst, GoT is leagues above anything that has ever been done before.
And that’s fine. The last season was worse than the other ones. As such, it was a let down. Doesn’t mean the show as a whole wasn’t still at the top of the list.

Yeah I did the same. I had never watched a minute of GOT. So I started watching sn 1 ep 1 on the Sunday night that the first episode of the last season began. It was almost exactly 2 years ago now that I think about it. Over the next month I binged every episode until I caught up and was able to watch the series finale live. It had the potential to be my favorite show if not for the last season. But I wasn’t nearly disappointed in it as most fans. Probably because I watched it all in a month and wasn’t emotionally invested for 8 years like others.

I did the same thing with Homeland last year. Started the very first episode on the night of the season premiere and binged all the way until the series finale. That show had a great ending though.
Homeland had some ROUGH patches as well. The middle was fairly terrible but they regrouped and finished strong. Thrones just kind of the bed once they ran out of source material. Was still probably the last Mega show for a while. Not sure what else is going to be able to get anywhere near that level. My friend group is at that level about Succession at this point but don't think most of the general public is as most people I talk to haven't seen it or even know what the hell I'm talking about.

Homeland had some ROUGH patches as well. The middle was fairly terrible but they regrouped and finished strong. Thrones just kind of the bed once they ran out of source material. Was still probably the last Mega show for a while. Not sure what else is going to be able to get anywhere near that level. My friend group is at that level about Succession at this point but don't think most of the general public is as most people I talk to haven't seen it or even know what the hell I'm talking about.

Succession just makes me wonder if there’s a single decent human left in the world

Billions used to be good but did a relatively early shark jump... now it’s almost a hate watch

I actually liked the last season. With so many moving pieces I don't think a satisfying ending was a realistic possibility. So many things to wrap up, people were bound to be disappointed by something. I think criticisms of the pacing are fair, though. In particular a certain characters final trajectory. I'd be curious to see if my feelings change on a rewatch.

Succession just makes me wonder if there’s a single decent human left in the world

Billions used to be good but did a relatively early shark jump... now it’s almost a hate watch
Absolutely 100% agree on Billions. I just start laughing in the middle of episodes at how ridiculous a lot of it is but it's still a watch at this point.

I've actually watched this again now twice. And I will randomly pop on episodes here and there. I talk with a buddy too about S8 every now and then, because he's a movie/show buff and that's his thing. After the second rewatch of S8, it really is too bad how certain details were just completely ignored. I mean, they had to realize people wouldn't just ignore some of this stuff, right? It's entertaining enough for me, but the fact is relative to the build up and lofty expectations, this season was absolutely disappointing and the overall feedback from critics and fans backs that up, majorly.

That said, who is everyone's top 5 characters? For me, overall (no order):

Bronn
Hound
Tyrion
Varys
Davos

Also... I am reading back through the beginning pages of this thread (April 2019). Yikes.

Crazy to see all these characters together in this episode, after being mostly separate for 7 seasons. Next episode must be the big battle we've read about. This episode is off the charts awesome, best show/series ever. Next week is going to be epic!
E2 was the best episode. Which is pretty amazing (actually, it probably makes sense) considering it did not have the eye popping visuals or action scenes typically tossed in at the expense of writing and logic.

This was one of my favorite episodes too. It was wonderful seeing these actors and actresses play these characters, I suspect some of them (maybe most) for the last time.

I suspect there's a strong correlation between people that like the end of Lost with people that liked this episode. I enjoyed Lost for the wonderful moments between the characters, I really didn't care that much about whether all the mysteries got solved or not. I could see this episode aggravating people who wanted to know who was in the other outrigger.

I'm so torn, I really want to discuss this more but I am going to great lengths to avoid spoilers (and spoilers disguised as "fan theories"). I'll probably avoid this thread until the season is over. I have a feeling it's going to be 100mph from here on out.
I can't help myself... WINNER WINNER

I made it thru half the first episode and quit. Couldnt get past the acting to give the story a chance and the little i have seen of it since hasnt made we want to put the effort to get thru all these seasons to catch up. I see big budget Cartoon every time i come across it.

I do think the lack of depth of the tv version is one reason they dont enjoy it as much.
This is an extreme outlier, wow. The acting and writing first several seasons is as good as it gets!

I can’t rewatch. I get angry thinking about the time invested and how the show runners couldn’t finish season 8 fast enough.

Maybe someday I’ll talk myself into watching through the Red Wedding and calling it there.

I can’t rewatch. I get angry thinking about the time invested and how the show runners couldn’t finish season 8 fast enough.

Maybe someday I’ll talk myself into watching through the Red Wedding and calling it there.
Sorry to bump this old thread but I like discussing this show and I was late to the party (only started from beginning in 2019).

I do recommend you give it a rewatch.

I really enjoyed rewatching it when I did it in prep for season 8. There's so many little things to appreciate, like Arya and Hound holding eye contact for just a little longer than normal the first time they see each other. For me the series peaked with the Episode "Winds of Winter."

I really enjoyed rewatching it when I did it in prep for season 8. There's so many little things to appreciate, like Arya and Hound holding eye contact for just a little longer than normal the first time they see each other. For me the series peaked with the Episode "Winds of Winter."
Fantastic episode that really set the stage heading into S7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom