Grand Canyon Hiking

Discussion in 'Travel' started by DMDMD, Jan 19, 2018.

1. DMDMD

DMDMD Scout Team

Anyone ever backpack in the Grand Canyon? I'm going first week of March. Doing Bright Angel Trail to Hermit trail loop and never been there before. We are flying into and out of Las Vegas. Any must sees on the way to/from LV? Any side trails/overlooks that can't be missed? Any general advice for hiking there in March?

*Love the new travel forum, will post pics when I return!

Conrad13, gbo, OttoMets and 1 other person like this.
  2. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

Never backpacked, but camped on the North Rim side. It was October/November and it was cold. But we had a great time.

We did the same thing in terms of flying into Vegas. We rounded out our trip with visits to Bryce and Zion National Parks.

Can't wait to hear all about it.

3. DMDMD

DMDMD Scout Team

Wish I could add Zion on there as well, but in negotiations with the wife I had to concede a couple days in Vegas by the pool to recoup from the backpacking.

CuseFaninVT likes this.
  4. Conrad13

Conrad13 Starter

We hiked up and down the Tanner Trail on the South Rim. It requires a back country pass but it was a great hike with fantastic camping down by the river. The only people we saw were a couple of float trips heading down the river.

We camped once at the Dessert View Campground (which is much nicer than the Grand Canyon Village) and walked to the rim through the brush. I had my camera around my neck and was carrying my 11 month old son. We stumbled on a mountain lion who didn't seem too bothered by us. I practically throw my kid to my wife and try to get the lens cap off of my camera. By the time I did this, the cat started to trot away and I started after it. My wife grabs me and yells, "don't you chase that cat!" and I never got a good picture. I also had to get up and go out with her every time she had to pee in the night after that.

OttoMets, Guy Fawkes, DMDMD and 2 others like this.
  5. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

Did bright angel, don't recall the other.

Bryce and Zion. Not sure if you'll be able to day hike up Zion(you hike in the river). Flash flood possibility. I hiked that in Dec in a wet suit.. only ones there. Awesome.

Either Zion or Bryce can be done in a day. If you can't hike up Zion(short), Bryce is more visually appealing. Hiking up Zion, I liked it better than the grand Canyon... The pool can wait.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    OttoMets and CuseFaninVT like this.
  6. DMDMD

DMDMD Scout Team

I pitched walking up Zion Narrows as an alternative to the pool for 1 day, somehow a river the first week of March didn't appeal...

gbo and CuseFaninVT like this.
  7. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

Bahh... It's awesome. Sounds like you'll have a good trip. Wouldn't go out of my way, but we passed a sign for the little grand Canyon, so we pulled over. Kinda neat.

8. CuseFaninVT

You could do Angel's Landing in one day at Zion and make the drive. The wife and I did this hike. It was awesome. Zion is just so beautiful, I can't even describe it.

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.274750483.6883/flat,1000x1000,075, .jpg

OttoMets and AlaskaSU like this.
  9. CuseFaninVT

Stupid system is deleting an abcdeF from the end of that image address - right before the .jpg. Goofy

10. AlaskaSU

AlaskaSU Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome

For a twist, try horseback riding in the Escalante area adjacent to Bryce. Great experience to ride through slot canyons.

11. AlaskaSU

Zion is awesome but Bryce is other wordly. Both get crowded in season as does Arches, which is also mind boggling. For me, the place to go hiking is SE UT, to Mesa Verde among the Anasazi ruins. The St John River can be floated.

12. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

Did you hike Zion narrows?

13. gbo

gbo Resident Clemson Fan

I did last August. It was a blast and I highly recommend it. Wear good shoes if you do it because the uneven walk can hurt your feet. Also bring a water with you unless you want to drink the water in the narrows haha.

AlaskaSU, Conrad13 and CuseFaninVT like this.
  14. AlaskaSU

Water was too high when i was there. Just dipped my feet in. Would like to go back and hike the Virgin River, and Angel's Landing.

CuseFaninVT likes this.
  15. HastingsCuse

HastingsCuse Walk On

Every hike in the GC is awesome. My 20 year old daughter backpacked by herself for 2 days from the North Rim to the River and back on the Bright Angel last May. She said it was a great 2 day trip. Unfortunately the North Rim is closed in March. I have done day hikes in March from the South Rim on Bright Angel down to Indian Gardens (about 3.5 miles each way). I would go further than Indian Gardens if I was going to camp just to get away from the day hikers. Down to the River and back from the South Rim would be a good 2+ day trip. FYI weather is mixed in March. The first time I went in March it was snowing on the south rim with 4-5 inches of snow and the next day down in the canyon it was close to 60 degrees.
    Another cool hike is Havasu Falls - it's not technically in the GC. My daughter hiked it with a friend and camped for 1 night. Said it was amazing. You'll need a special permit from the Havasupai tribe.

DMDMD and Conrad13 like this.
  16. OrangeBass

OrangeBass Walk On

I have hiked the Grandview Trail to Horseshoe Mesa...It was quite a hike...and some great views. We did the hike in April. The temps on the rim were about 50 when we left and the temp in the canyon was 92 at the mesa. We did the hike in 2013. SU had just advanced to the final four. When we got to the mesa, there was a guy from Rochester resting in the shade. Since I was wearing my SU hat, the conversation was about the basketball team. After about 5 minutes a young couple arrived at the Mesa. It turns out that they were SU alums that lived in Los Angeles. We had a nice Lets Go Orange chant on the mesa...

HastingsCuse likes this.