Grantland recap of events | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Grantland recap of events

Tell that to LaDainian "LT" Tomlinson or any boxer going by the name "Sugar".

Although not his nickname, I just want to use this to segue into a reference of the late, great boxing historian Bert Sugar.

image.jpg

Bad mechanics by the ref, to make that "wave off" motion in that situation. Frankly, for a guy at that level it's inexcusable. Because you don't invent mechanics, leave that for the NBA showboats. This is exactly the kind of that can happen when you make strange arm signals ('mechanics,' in ref-speak) in critical situations: no one knows for sure what the heck you're doing, and it makes everybody look bad. Confusion is at a discount, and it brings into question your judgement through the previous 39:59.

Even though i am not a fan of Stephens, I found it odd that his mechanics in that situation were so poor. He is usually over the top with his hand gestures, like he is trying to add excitement to the game.

Makes me think of this...

The Grantland piece is the funniest, best written thing I've read about SU BB this year! Outrageously clever stuff.

Even though i am not a fan of Stephens, I found it odd that his mechanics in that situation were so poor. He is usually over the top with his hand gestures, like he is trying to add excitement to the game.

Makes me think of this...

Looks like Leslie Nielsen doing Dutch Rennert, LOL!

Lawrinson14 "Can somebody please make me a T-shirt, or even just a Photoshop of Ennis either taking the shot or looking confident with the words “THEY REFUSE TO PUT THE SCORE UP INSIDE THE PETERSON EVENT CENTER!” emblazoned beneath?"

how about it eh? EH? you know you want to ;)

Not sure if posted... i just put grantland into the search and it didn't show up. My favorite recap so far: The Orange Cooler

"4:18-4:22: They finally call the shot good. But in the background, one guy in a blue button-down shirt still waving it off. This is the saddest Pittsburgh fan."

Thanks favorite post ever

I'm not usually a fan of Grantland, but that was really good. My favorite part has to be 0:06-0:08. Anytime JB potentially drilling for oil is referenced, I can't help but laugh.

4:05: Dixon’s assistant coach, the pinstripe consigliere, is my favorite running subplot in the ACC this season. He’s right out of central casting! Second favorite is the other assistant coach, whom we’ll see later, who also has that consigliere look.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm glad someone else noticed this guy/these guys. He looks like a Tony Soprano wannabe.

I enjoyed the knock on the Zoo's pathetic signage:

1:14: Another crowd sign: “THIS IS OUR HOUSE” on cardboard. I enjoy signs. I really do. But if you’re going to put forth the effort to design one of these, and you begin brainstorming, and an hour later the best thing you’ve come up with is, “THIS IS OUR HOUSE,” you should probably just forget the whole thing. Just head to the game and enjoy it without a sign. At least write something like “DIXsON” to confuse people.

Otto's Army slays these Pitt nerds!

-3ae5c3319dbfd554.jpg

-f51b815cdcd036d9.JPG
best-signs-during-gameday-at-the-dome-58ba15d9b175c227.jpg

4:05: Dixon’s assistant coach, the pinstripe consigliere, is my favorite running subplot in the ACC this season. He’s right out of central casting! Second favorite is the other assistant coach, whom we’ll see later, who also has that consigliere look.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm glad someone else noticed this guy/these guys. He looks like a Tony Soprano wannabe.
This guy?
Peter_Clemenza.png

Bad mechanics by the ref, to make that "wave off" motion in that situation. Frankly, for a guy at that level it's inexcusable. Because you don't invent mechanics, leave that for the NBA showboats. This is exactly the kind of that can happen when you make strange arm signals ('mechanics,' in ref-speak) in critical situations: no one knows for sure what the heck you're doing, and it makes everybody look bad. Confusion is at a discount, and it brings into question your judgement through the previous 39:59.

What do you expect from Stephens? He's usually out of position and generally anticipates calls instead of calling what actually happens. When you add that to his continued attempts to be the next emoting Teddy Valentine (which is NOT a good thing), Stephens has become my absolute least favorite sight at any SU basketball game. Anyone else is better. ANYONE!

4:07: Classic college basketball moment here: The ball was out of Ennis’s hand with over a second remaining, it couldn’t be more obvious that the shot counts, and yet it takes approximately six hours to decide for sure. Actually, I should just shut up and be grateful they didn’t wave it off. You laugh, but there was about a 40 percent chance of that happening. And if Karl Hess was in the building? Up it to 86 percent.

This was absolutely perfect on so many levels.

I believe the author, Shane Ryan, is from upstate New York. Hence his actually knowing more about SU in general than a lot of other people who write about us.

Should've had gifs throughout too much switching and scrolling, I'm too lazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom