Grantland recap of events | Syracusefan.com

Grantland recap of events

Not sure if posted... i just put grantland into the search and it didn't show up. My favorite recap so far: The Orange Cooler

"4:18-4:22: They finally call the shot good. But in the background, one guy in a blue button-down shirt still waving it off. This is the saddest Pittsburgh fan."

It's been said that it wasn't even a Pitt fan, it was someone who works with SU on the play by plays. Fire that dude!

Not sure if posted... i just put grantland into the search and it didn't show up. My favorite recap so far: The Orange Cooler

"4:18-4:22: They finally call the shot good. But in the background, one guy in a blue button-down shirt still waving it off. This is the saddest Pittsburgh fan."

That writeup is great, but the guy he is talking about is none other than Matt Park from the Syracuse radio crew. Matt Roe right next to him. I have no idea what he was gesturing about. Still funny.

That writeup is great, but the guy he is talking about is none other than Matt Park from the Syracuse radio crew. Matt Roe right next to him. I have no idea what he was gesturing about. Still funny.

Pretty sure he's either gesturing that there should be no time left, or he was reacting to the fact that one of the refs made the basket no good signal.

It's been said that it wasn't even a Pitt fan, it was someone who works with SU on the play by plays. Fire that dude!

I think like most of the Pitt fans, he was confused when he saw the ref do the "wave the basket off call" when in fact the ref was making the "no time remaining" wave. He was probably relaying what he saw to the radio audience and was making the hand signal like anyone would if talking to friends.

Check out Newkirk's flailing-body defense on Ennis, at around the 3:15 mark of the Grantland video.
He had no chance.

I think like most of the Pitt fans, he was confused when he saw the ref do the "wave the basket off call" when in fact the ref was making the "no time remaining" wave. He was probably relaying what he saw to the radio audience and was making the hand signal like anyone would if talking to friends.
Hahaha I know, I was kidding. I haven't seen anyone else mention it on the articles or anything, so I guess not many noticed this. But the same guy actually threw his fist down and gave the thumbs up as soon as Ennis hit the shot. You could tell he got excited.

That's a pretty great read. My favorite lines:

1:15: Most of the students are jumping around and happy, but notice the kid in glasses on the lower-right part of the screen who has his hands on his head and looks absolutely devastated? Somebody find this person, because he is from 45 seconds into the future.

and

2:59: Dixon hunched over. Some say he never stood up straight again, after that day. Some say.

Those are gold.

... or he was reacting to the fact that one of the refs made the basket no good signal.
This. It was Park (and Jim Satalin was on color, not Roe) -- he was gesticulating like Stephens.

Not sure how to post Tweets, but:

James ‏@theNYsportsguy 8h
@MattPark1 Not sure if you already covered this but curious what was with your waving off motion during review? @4:18 ...

Matt Park ‏@MattPark1 7h
@theNYsportsguy I was mimicking the indication by official Michael Stephens that there was no time left. He could've just put both arms up.

Last edited:

A must read.

I have to be honest, I'm not a fan of Orange Cooler at all.

My vote is still Iceman.

the best write up of the final seconds of the game.
The scorekeeper is a tool.

This. It was Park (and Jim Satalin was on color, not Roe) -- he was gesticulating like Stephens.

Not sure how to post Tweets, but:

James ‏@theNYsportsguy 8h
@MattPark1 Not sure if you already covered this but curious what was with your waving off motion during review? @4:18 ...

Matt Park ‏@MattPark1 7h
@theNYsportsguy I was mimicking the indication by official Michael Stephens that there was no time left. He could've just put both arms up.

I was in the car listening on FM 88. Those announcers at first interpreted Stephens's waving arms to mean that Ennis's shot didn't count. They figured it out after about 3 seconds of incredulity. If you look at the replay, it appears that a few Pitt fans and JB thought the same thing at first.

I have to be honest, I'm not a fan of Orange Cooler at all.

My vote is still Iceman.

Iceman is George Gervin. You can't just reuse nicknames.

I had to listen to the game on the radio while at work. When Stephens finaly made the call/hand gesture that game was over, Park yelled that the shot was no good and game was over. After a second or two, he stated that we won and explained how Stephens just waved his arms to signal the game was over. If my heart didn't stop during these few seconds, i would have punched the jacka$$ next to me that had started talking smack that the shot was going to get waved off soon as Stephens went to the review.

I had to listen to the game on the radio while at work. When Stephens finaly made the call/hand gesture that game was over, Park yelled that the shot was no good and game was over. After a second or two, he stated that we won and explained how Stephens just waved his arms to signal the game was over. If my heart didn't stop during these few seconds, i would have punched the jacka$$ next to me that had started talking smack that the shot was going to get waved off soon as Stephens went to the review.

Bad mechanics by the ref, to make that "wave off" motion in that situation. Frankly, for a guy at that level it's inexcusable. Because you don't invent mechanics, leave that for the NBA showboats. This is exactly the kind of that can happen when you make strange arm signals ('mechanics,' in ref-speak) in critical situations: no one knows for sure what the heck you're doing, and it makes everybody look bad. Confusion is at a discount, and it brings into question your judgement through the previous 39:59.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom