Great article on what Melo means to young NBA players... | Syracusefan.com

Great article on what Melo means to young NBA players...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
This is a great article. I for one, hate analytics. It's in many ways responsible for the ruination of baseball and to a lesser extent basketball. Melo is someone who is a throwback to an earlier time when creating a shot inside the three-point arc was considered an art form. As Jamal Crawford is quoted in the article, Melo is "a hooper's hooper."

Melo's resurgence

This is a great article. I for one, hate analytics. It's in many ways responsible for the ruination of baseball and to a lesser extent basketball. Melo is someone who is a throwback to an earlier time when creating a shot inside the three-point arc was considered an art form. As Jamal Crawford is quoted in the article, Melo is "a hooper's hooper."

Melo's resurgence
Thanks for posting I read this article earlier today and thought it was fantastic

I hope in the future with the new staff, there is a place for Melo in some way once he's retired (if he wants to get into college coaching). Lots of schools are going the former player route on staff (us included) and Melo is our biggest name and brand.

I hope in the future with the new staff, there is a place for Melo in some way once he's retired (if he wants to get into college coaching). Lots of schools are going the former player route on staff (us included) and Melo is our biggest name and brand.

No idea whether Melo would be interested in coaching. But I imagine he'd be able to procure a LOT of visits with HS prospects, given his legendary star power.

No idea whether Melo would be interested in coaching. But I imagine he'd be able to procure a LOT of visits with HS prospects, given his legendary star power.
Totally and I hate to say this publicly lol but Team Melo players would funnel here

“These kids don’t care about Carmelo, they weren’t watching Syracuse in 2003”.

-some syracusefan poster in 2018
Well, how many of the young guys in the article came to Syracuse because of him? In the context of recruiting, they don't care much, if at all. In the context of respecting his game, they consider him an icon.

Well, how many of the young guys in the article came to Syracuse because of him? In the context of recruiting, they don't care much, if at all. In the context of respecting his game, they consider him an icon.

Well, CJ and Benny are both guys who have cited Melo as being a huge influence on them, and wanting to play for Cuse.

I think Kamari Lands also.
And I’m sure there have been others.

Well, CJ and Benny are both guys who have cited Melo as being a huge influence on them, and wanting to play for Cuse.

Sean Williams

Largely due to the Cuse connection, Melo's been my all-time favorite. He is one of a handful of players that I became emotionally attached, win or lose.
As for Joe Dumars...I'll see you in hell!

Last edited:

I didn't see them in the article.

Usually when this discussion comes up it's because we aren't getting elite players. If the presence of Melo helped us get Lands and Williams that's great, but I don't think 4 or 5 guys (I'm guessing Donte Greene was likely influenced by Melo too) over the course of nearly 20 years is strong evidence that the influence was all that strong.

He probably needs about 90 more college credits before he can think about it haha

With the bank he has made, going into coaching would be shocking.

Be a deity, but don’t say the weekly sermons a la Jordan and so many others. Access to him in some way is far more realistic than the coveting him to be Troy Weaver 2.0.