Great Houston breakdown | Syracusefan.com

Great Houston breakdown

great video and a few interesting Cuse mentions

If you practice tackling it must be hard to turn that off in a game.

Marek is the perfect answer to that post double. Elite passer surrounded by dudes who can make a shot. This will be an interesting game if we can keep them out of transition.

Going through YouTube consuming as much as I can to pass the week. This video breaks down Houston and why they succeed without shooting well.
Interesting that WV is ranked ahead of them in the rebounding category he is calling the difference maker. Done before selection sunday too, so we've seen this movie before. It will take more than a dump and chase bulldog approach to offense for the Cougs to pull this out.

As a little more data: this Houston team, per KenPom ratings is better than both our 2010 and 2012 teams... They have numbers well within the range of national championship caliber.

Great video and interesting stuff. I still think opponents play a big role though. Yes numbers are adjusted but when your level of competition is so low nearly the entire season the metrics really don't pan out. Their SOS is 2 spots below SDSU.

Marek is the perfect answer to that post double. Elite passer surrounded by dudes who can make a shot. This will be an interesting game if we can keep them out of transition.
I trust JB is hammering home the transition D all week. I remember commentators were like “oh they wont be able to get back in the zone vs Kansas” in 2003...and we did. It will be up to the players because I’m sure JB will stress it

Interesting. So we can assume that how the refs call the physical nature the game will be huge? Also that ball fakes might be important. I like Dolejaz on the short pick. Going to have to take it to them inside.

As a little more data: this Houston team, per KenPom ratings is better than both our 2010 and 2012 teams... They have numbers well within the range of national championship caliber.

This Houston team, has played exactly NOBODY.

Easy to rack up stats when you’re the tallest midget in the crap AAC.

Key Takeaways:

• Houston fouls A LOT...SYR makes free throws A LOT. Something's gotta give. Hopefully the foul discrepancy can balance out from the last couple games and if SU can get to the line a ton...its going to bode well.
  • Marek is a good post passer...would like to see him in the pick and roll with immediate roll as per the video...could be lethal. Pick and roll could be savage vs these guys...as long as it doesnt turn into charges...
  • QG and Jesse have struggled last couple games with passing...this could be big...gotta limit those turnovers...from those 2 especially. Remind them to be patient when passing and SLOW DOWN.
  • Houston swarms on defense. Will be interesting to see what happens as far as how many open shots the orange can get. They have gotten open looks all year vs everyone basically...so not worried there. But from the video it seems that a lot of seemingly open looks disappear quickly...will be interesting if that means shots must be taken as soon as they are there or if that overcommiting and selling out on d can be exploited.
  • Houston's defensive strategy of taking away the paint is fine...will be interesting to see how many paint points SU can get considering. If Kadary gets past his man on the perimeter I dont think Houston will be able to keep everything locked down like they have with AAC opposition. Kadary could be the key to unlocking this D.
  • Houston is crazy athletic. If they are dominating offensve glass and Jesse is brought in...the offense needs to be able to maintain...gonna be a chess match between the teams.
  • Transition defense doesnt really concern me. This team gets back well. However, if there is foul trouble that changes the equation. In the WVU game I thought giving up all those layups uncontested was a huge mistake. Gotta challenge everything at the rim and make houston earn every point. Foul trouble cannot mean uncontested putbacks for Houston. Im sure their gameplan will be CRASH the OFFENSIVE GLASS HARD...thats where the game will be decided, imo.

Buttgers had them on the ropes. Do we assume it was because R was just as physical?

Small sample size.

With five days to prepare, I like our chances here. It's the two-day turnarounds that limit preparation (of course, that does go both ways, doesn't it?).
I prefer the tight turnarounds, because teams usually look even more terrible against the zone with only a couple days to prepare.

Buttgers had them on the ropes. Do we assume it was because R was just as physical?
That was a REALLY physical game IMO. Both teams really went after it.

We need to play with Size. Bras and Kadary need to play well.

I can not add any meaningful information on the upcoming Houston game but the last Top 25 ranking had them as #6. They must have impressed a few people, plus they only have 3 losses? All I know is they better get real 2/3 Zone smart in a few days.

Houston does swarm on defense but our approach is to swing the ball and use the dribble/drive. Teams that play inside out are much more common and Houston really focuses on taking that away. Rutgers at times hurt them off the bounce but they just don't have the offensive firepower.

Marek at 6-10 can pass over the top if trapped and he rarely is stationary. Houston also faces 2 scorers at most in the AAC vs seeing 4 guys outside the ball handler capable of getting a bucket.

Because of how Houston rebounds it may be to Griffs advantage if he gets aggressive on the boards. He is all about getting up quickly and aggressively. It's going to be an interesting game for sure. My guess with a week to prep is they try really hard to screen the zone for Grimes and get him going early in addition to Sasser/Gorham at the high post. Both SDSU and WVU tried using the high post early and struggled. I would venture that UH will be tighter on offense than our guys plus one advantage is we have played at Hinkle once they haven't. Nothing like having familiarity for shooters.

Houston does swarm on defense but our approach is to swing the ball and use the dribble/drive. Teams that play inside out are much more common and Houston really focuses on taking that away. Rutgers at times hurt them off the bounce but they just don't have the offensive firepower.
yeah good point. I have often wished throughout the year (and recent seasons) that the inside out game would be used more bc it is so effective...especially on 3%...but JB doesnt seem to use it at all. Once a guy has the ball down low he just wants them to go.

I guess it works to advantage for the ORange bc Houston defense is designed to take away something that SU doesn't do...

With five days to prepare, I like our chances here. It's the two-day turnarounds that limit preparation (of course, that does go both ways, doesn't it?).
I've always thought that plays to our advantage. Big time.

I've always thought that plays to our advantage. Big time.

Five days is not a lot either. SDSU had a week. Sampson has his OU team experience but it's not like those kids have anything to lean on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom